1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What ridiculously expensive beer should I buy for new years?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCImes, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

2010 Parabola. Exotic, I know...

Regardless, I'll enjoy the hell out of it.
  2. FW XVI? or XV?

They're only about 20-23, but i think a cool beer to round out the year. A blend of a ton of their limited release stuff
  3. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (210) California Aug 30, 2007

Magnum of Anchor xmas $15 @ Bevmo.
  4. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (210) California Aug 30, 2007

Lame
  5. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

The sad thing about it is someone will probably buy it...
  6. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

My New Years tradition is to splurge on a big bottle of Chimay Blue. 12 bucks, and I consider that expensive. But I'm kind of a cheapskate.
    pitweasel and whendeathsleeps like this.
  7. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I just cracked a Westy 12.

Thoughts:
    1. A great beer
    2. Not the best beer in the world. Not in my top 10.
    3. I drank 8 other trapist beers over the last 3 days in preparation to drink the westy, my opinion: I like trappist Rochefort 8 the best. $6 a bottle, available anytime.
    4. Glad I traded for 3 bottles so I can age some. I am also very glad that I was able to try this beer. Im sure people reviewed this beer so high because of the experience of being in the Belgian countryside and its rarity.
    5. Going back to my stance that not all trapist beers are very good, but some are world class!
  8. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

Any time you buy a $13 bomber?
    stayclean likes this.
  9. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

Wait wait wait...I thought the world was ending on 12/21/12. Do you meaning Ive been slaughtering my cellar for nothing???
    sirtomtom likes this.
  10. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

HOW MANY calling birds, now? ; )
  11. Baladin Xyauyu Gold.
  12. You must have a gueuze for midnight so go with the De Cam. Celebrate in style with the champagne of Brussels. I will drink some fresh IPAs (most likely Sucks will be amongst them) and then something aged in bourbon barrels (likely to be MoaS). Then I will open a 750ml of Doesjel or Tilquin for the New Year.
  13. aphexpat

aphexpat Initiate (20) May 30, 2012

The Saison-Brett was quite tasty, and you cant go wrong with a good Bruery Beer
  14. robwater

robwater Aficionado (215) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

2009 Dominus Vobiscum Brut
  15. Skip #5 unless you love uncarbonated quads. And you should probably drink your #3 sooner, rather than later. I have had a bottle every 6 months or so for the last three years, and my last one got me thinking that it's starting to fade. The oak was very dominant, and not balanced by the rest of the beer.

Lambickx is an unblended lambic.

Ask at the counter at Zipps for Utiopias. I know they have had it there in the past, and they don't leave it on the shelf.
  16. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I'm not sure I could spend $25 on a single bottle right now if I wanted to. I don't think there are any shelf-whalezbro out right now in NoVA.
  17. I agree with your suggestion and comment regarding DeuS, it's a fabulous beer. Any time I've opened one of those, even with the folks who don't drink or enjoy beer that much, have always enjoyed it. I have to say, there's been at least (4) times when I picked up the Scaldis Prestige and then put it back due to the price tag, but who am I trying to kid after dropping $125 on a bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin? :rolleyes:
  18. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Why spend $40 on a beer that is just KINDA worth it?
  19. Budlight Platinum
  20. Demer

Demer Aficionado (215) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Damn being a reserve society member really has changed what I view as "ridiculously expensive" since most of those beers are over $20 easy. I agree with the opening of a lambic or gueze at midnight though whichever you decide.
  21. Mikkeller Nelson Sauvignon, if it's being released this year.
  22. jzand219

jzand219 Aspirant (45) Dec 3, 2012

I saw a store making a 4 pack out of Mikkeller Bourbon Barrel Monk's Brew for $60.
  23. Good call. Tasty beer to boot.
  24. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Anything that starts with BA and ends with Dark Lord!

Cheers