1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

what should my first IPA be?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by loafinaround, Feb 14, 2013.

1. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

stout girl here.... I <3 stouts. really I do. Drink at least 1 a night.

BUT, I'm missing out by remaining so myopic. Can tell you that I've had a lot of bad experiences with sours, and let downs with lagers, and even some ales. I like brown ales, and some belgians, but that's really it.

Do you think I'd like an IPA? And specifically, which one would be a good first try? (Live in the ny metro area, so some west coast brews aren't about here)
  2. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I think Victory Hopdevil is a great first IPA.
    LMT, ucfalum08, Sokool and 3 others like this.
  3. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Given your area... Flower Power!
  4. Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Its hoppy but not too too hoppy and is good for a first time IPA IMO.
  5. smo

smo Aficionado (175) New Jersey Apr 11, 2012

I second this!
    SammyJaxxxx and HopNuggets like this.
  6. mklisz

mklisz Advocate (540) New Hampshire Dec 31, 2010

I would ease yourself in with APAs before jumping head first into IPAs. Try Dale's Pale and Sierra Nevada Pale to get your feet wet.
  7. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Flower Power!
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  8. you're in NY? Try a Smuttynose Finestkind IPA.
  9. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I kinda held off on IPAs for a while too, for whatever reason they just didn't appeal to me, but now I love em. If you can get Stone or Dogfish Head I think those are good places to start. Sierra Nevada Torpedo is really good too. I've also got a Sculpin waiting for me at home that I'm pretty excited to try. If you have trouble getting some of those in your area check out seekabrew.com for a list of breweries you get in your area, and look into what IPA they're known for. Happy hunting : )
    ucfalum08 likes this.
  10. Heavy Seas-Loose Cannon is a good starter IPA. Good flavor but not ridiculously hoppy. They are out of MD so you ought to be able to get some in NY. Cheers.
  11. Focusf111

Focusf111 Savant (340) Vermont Jun 21, 2012

do yourself a favor. Stone IPA. rarely does it get better.
    Shagator likes this.
  12. Greene King - oh yeah !!!
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

OB even calls Dales an IPA. And I've always thought that SNPA was hoppy enough to be considered an IPA. For a Pale I'd suggest Mirror Pond, if it's available to the OP. If she can get Flower Power, that's a very good IPA.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  14. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Whatever you choose, make sure you can get it fresh (less than a month old).
  15. All of the mentioned beers are solid. On another note, try to get urself some jacks abby hoponius union ipl. Awesome hoppy lager. I think it would set u right on ur way in proper hophead form. Cheers.

Bm me if u want some ;)
  16. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Can't go wrong with dogfish 60 minute, or stone ipa as a first. Torpedo and New Belgium Ranger aren't bad starter ipas either
    godlessape and Bitter_Echo like this.
  17. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Very important point
    mendonjoebeer and Bitter_Echo like this.
  18. FLOWER POWER! easy to find fresh amazing ipa. that's it!
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  19. lookrider

lookrider Savant (390) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Flower Power was the first that popped into mind since you're in New York. Also, Bell's Two Hearted or Troeg's Perpetual if you can get them in your area
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  20. I would say either Stone IPA or Deschuttes Inversion IPA. Both are strong in flavor, but won't over power you.
    Bitter_Echo likes this.
  21. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

agree with the others...Flower Power!! My wife loves it and so do her friends.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  22. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I'm sorry, I find it a bit hard to believe that you are a have had the styles you mentioned and have not tried a single IPA. Is there some reason you have stayed away from them? It is not an obscure style in the world of American craft beer.
    TheBeerDad likes this.
  23. loafinaround

you know what I'm going to do w/ this thread? I'm going to just load it up when I'm in one of my fav shops and go shopping. I'll let you guys know how the tasting goes. Citrus would be a nice palate cleanser for a change. (Inevitably, I will always be true to my one love: bourbon county)
    bdavids likes this.
  24. loafinaround

yep, because of so many not terribly good experience w/ the rest. I decided to basically go with the flow and stick to what I love. so you heard it... years of stouts! W/ a few other items peppered in for a change of pace. Then again, I've had coffee every morning for 30 years, so this shouldn't be too surprising to anyone.
    I think I'm overdue for an IPA, hence the thread ;)
  25. Mikegonzo

Mikegonzo Aficionado (190) Illinois Jan 22, 2013

Can't ease into it, that's like touching the pool before jumping in. I'd say STONE IPA all the way. Dive in, and enjoy it!!!!
    loafinaround likes this.
  26. I agree,
    Flower Power
    Smuttynose IPA
    Stone IPA
    3 of the best and readily available IPA's.

Protip: read user Buckeyenation's review of the beer your trying while drinking it, doing that really helped me appreciate what I was tasting early on. I don't think I would have enjoyed some of the beers I was trying as much as I do now if I wasn't reading his reviews while sipping on the beer.
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/members/buckeyenation.3819/
  27. May I suggest finding a black IPA to start with to act as a bridge between styles for you?
    SammyJaxxxx and chiefojibwa like this.
  28. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I do love stouts, and I keep trying IPAs, never to love them. I did find I could hop over to trippels and saisons to change things up and be happy though.
  29. KelsoSaaz

KelsoSaaz Savant (255) Connecticut Jan 24, 2013

I also recommend Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. Its got great IPA flavor, but won't kill you with hop bitterness. Also try some hoppy APAs that are really IPAs in disguise.
  30. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Flower Power for the tenth time....:)
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  31. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Southern Tier IPA or 2XIPA.
  32. I was leaning Flower Power myself, but 2XIPA is definitely no slouch and perhaps a touch more ...hmmm...gentle, I suppose (for lack of a better word). Get it a month old and it is a great place to start.
  33. cornontherob

cornontherob Zealot (90) New York Oct 15, 2011

Laggunitas sucks is good. DEFINITELY try to get fresh, whatever you get. I was turned off of IPA's for a while because the first few I tried were old.
  34. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Ruination. Don't get your feet wet, jump into the pool.
    ucfalum08 likes this.
  35. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Savant (400) Illinois May 6, 2010

Dogfish Head 60 and 90 Minute IPAs. Those were the ones that converted me. They're hoppy, but not insanely so, and they're really well balanced with a nice, malty backbone.
    KVNBGRY, TychoNDC and BogleHill like this.
  36. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

I second the Stone recommendation, I think it's probably the best widely available example of what the American IPA is all about (here on the East Coast at least) It'll give you a solid idea of the flavors without bashing you over the head with them. I think Flower Power is a decent bit hopper than Stone (definitely more than DFH, which I always felt was one of the more malt forward AIPAs). It's a really good IPA, but might be a bit heavy for someone unused to hoppy beers. Lagunitas Sucks is also a really good example of balance, but it might be tough to find now.
  37. For easy drinking IPA's these are my favorite and both available in cans. :)

NEBCO Sea Hag
    CCB Jai Alai IPA
    KVNBGRY likes this.
  38. Harpoon IPA is the way to go. Not too heavy, a good starting point. Ease your way in. Then graduate to the really good stuff that others here mention.
    gatornlb, slarrage and Droogins like this.
  39. Harpoon is a good first IPA. Very inoffensive. It was my very first, and it got me wondering about IPAs in general. From there, Smutty Finestkind (despite what the packaging says, I think it is indeed an IPA with training wheels--I thought it had a solid malty backbone, balanced as all hell, enjoyed). Then HopDevil, Hoponius if you've got MA connections, DFH 60 minute, then Sucks, and then on to the IIPAs. I haven't had the pleasure of trying Flower Power, but that seems to be the consensus of this thread, so if you can get that, go for it.

Or you could just throw caution to the wind and buy just about anything from Stone. Sublimely Self-Righteous is the best Black Ale, hoppy or otherwise, I've ever had.