1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

what should my first IPA be?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by loafinaround, Feb 14, 2013.

1. I know it's West coast, but Bear Republic distributes to NY. Seek out Racer 5. You might just have an epiphany.

IPA wise, that is...
    StoutChaser7D likes this.
  2. Mauidan

Mauidan Aficionado (180) New York Mar 14, 2008

Given yourlove for Stouts may I suggest Dubhe by Uinta it comes in a fourpack and is even brewed with hemp..I believe you will fall in love like I did...and at 9.2 abv it should come with lodging....but ALL the suggestions in this thread are more than worhy...Flower Power definetely...Stone IPA absolutely..Hop Devil yes yes yes..I love IPA's and it is the main reason at 58 years old I go out of my way in Manhattan to find IPA's on draft...ENJOY!!
  3. Mauidan

and 2 more...Hop Notch also by Uinta ..and Titan IPA by Great Divide...man I am gettin thirsty....
  4. Dogfish 60 Minute is a great starter for a good price. It only gets better from there!
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  5. Mauidan

I agree can't go wrong with Dog 60 or 90,,120 requires a place to sleep and rations...
    ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  6. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I love stouts & porters too and it took me a while to find IPAs that I liked. I think my taste needed to adapt a bit to truly appreciate them. My first was SN Celebration Ale (epiphany time) which, of course, you can't get this time of year (put it in your pocket for next November.) But by finding one IPA that I loved helped me to figure out the flavor profiles that I respond to. I enjoy balanced hops and grapefruit forward notes. Lagunitas Sucks and SN Torpedo are two that are easy to drink. Personally, I wouldn't go for anything really hoppy at first. Ease into it and let your palate develop before diving into the "big" beers.
  7. nyyfanatic213

nyyfanatic213 Savant (330) New York Aug 24, 2011

How has Stone's been mentioned but Not Firestone Walker? Union Jack is one of the only easy to find FW beers in all of NYS, metro or otherwise.

That being said, neither is as easy to drink as the FinestKind, Hop Devil, or ST IPA
  8. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (445) New York Jan 24, 2013

I think if someone had 120 as their first IPA experience, they might not have any idea what an IPA actually was, and they might be turned off.

It's an excellent beer and should be experienced, but ya gotta learn to walk before you can run.
    ironchefmiyagi13 and rturn2 like this.
  9. Stone IPA. Or Bell's Two Hearted.
  10. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2011

that's a very good idea. I'm very biased towards brown beverages...
  11. Agree 100%. Jumping in with the huge hop beers won't work.
  12. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2011

I am a foodie... dove right into tibetan yak cheese. I can take it. I DO like the dark ipa idea, though.

thanks so much to everyone who's brain storming on my behalf :)
  13. Try a local Hoptical Illuison from Blue Point
    M0rtyC likes this.
  14. M0rtyC

M0rtyC Zealot (80) Massachusetts Apr 15, 2010

I agree Harpoon IPA is a great starting point. It turns 20 this year
  15. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

A practical 'no risk' try might be Lagunitas Daytime IPA, Founders All Day IPA, or North Peak Wanderer IPA; all are well crafted, sessionable and restrained IPA that might be a good lead-to the hoppier stuff.
  16. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

+1 on dogfish head. Not bitter at all. Hopslam would actually be a good one as well. If you can find it that is.
  17. jman005

jman005 Savant (450) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

Sixpoint Resin, very well balanced.
    creal92 likes this.
  18. Smuttynose!
  19. Union Jack's incredible. I enjoyed it more than Double Jack actually. But I've only ever seen it on tap around here. If the OP can get it in NY more easily, then go for it.
  20. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (360) New York Jan 7, 2013

I would definitely echo the recommendation of Dogfish Head 60/90. 90 is particularly well balanced and enjoyable even by hop-novices (or those of us who are pickier with our IPAs).

I am also partial to the AIPAs, particularly Bear Republic Racer 5 as an easy to drink IPA.
  21. Bell's Two Hearted ... great IPA and great beginner IPA or Dogfish Head 60 minute. Both should be easy to get for you as well.
    KVNBGRY and derricksmalls like this.
  22. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (520) Florida Aug 1, 2012

Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Cigar City Jai Lai, Dogfish Head 60 or 90 Minute are the ones I'd give my closest friends/family if they asked me the same question.
  23. Most important point. You have been given many good suggestion for beers to choose, but freshness is way more important in an IPA than in most stouts. I would suggest buying a very fresh refrigerated one out of the list given to you.
  24. Miller lite duh....it's triple hopped.
    Cvescalante likes this.
  25. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Baby steps. Start with a good single like Stone IPA or even Lagunitas IPA. Don't destroy your tastebuds with a huge one. You may end up turning yourself off them for good.
  26. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Two hearted. First and last and in between
  27. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (440) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Smuttynose & Stone, while I enjoy them both, I think they might be too bitter for someone newer to the style. Agree with Lagunitas and 60min
  28. 510a

510a Savant (325) Washington Jan 12, 2013

Sucks, Sucks, Celebration, sucks, maybe Stone. Nah SUCKS!
  29. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Smutty's IPA for sure. If you like that you can branch out in either direction of more hop or malt forward IPA's. Buuuut, if you can get it you should definitely try Allagash's Hugh Malone. Considering you like "some Belgians" this brew would suit you well. Super balanced with a nice hop character to it, amazing fresh but it still drinks just fine this time of year.
  30. b-one

b-one Aficionado (230) California Feb 6, 2013

My heart would say Ballast Point Sculpin. By locality, get a Dogfish Head and take alternate sips from a Midas Touch.
    Sorry, that last part makes me visibly twitch. Skip the Midas.
  31. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

DeFlower Power
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  32. twas my first....
  33. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I would say start with a Ruination and then 120 min, and then a palate wrecker followed by Hop Damn.

In all seriousness:

I would say Two hearted as a start, my wife doesn't like IPAs but she likes two hearted. Stone IPA is a good start to get the full on flavor of a west coast IPA. southern Tier 2X or Unearthly would be good and to me are not as harsh on the palate. 90 minute is also a good start. IMO the ST IPA and the 60 minute are too bitter and not as balanced. If you can find Green Flash, the Hop Head Red. I wish i could send you some West Sixth from here in Lexington
  34. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Whatever you try, For the love of god, make sure its FRESH!!!!
    b-one likes this.
  35. Gubbna, or something big. No need to just dip your toes, go big, get the full effect of an ipa if you want to know what it tastes like
  36. msigona85

msigona85 Aficionado (190) New York Jun 16, 2008

As suggested before two hearted would be a great intro to ipas, but you're not gonna find it in ny. Loose cannon is a gentle way of getting into ipas and a good one at that. When I first got my girlfriend into ipas, she had an easier time drinking a 90 min as opposed to a 60 ,just because 90 has a bigger malt backbone. The balance of an ipa will affect your hop perception more than the ibu. I would recommend ballast point big eye, stone ipa, sierra nevada torpedo, 60 min, racer 5, smuttynose ipa, southern tier,alesmith, fsw union jack, founders centennial, and ithaca flower power. All available in ny. For double ipas 90 minute and fsw doublejack would be a good way to start.
  37. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

go buy a goddamn beer and try it. If you dont like it, buy another one, like the rest of us.
  38. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

The WORST entry IPA is Flower Power. It is tongue shriveling bitter and dry. This will turn you off, I have been there.
    If you are NYC area in the NYC area these available..... Hop Tasty and not too bitter. If you are into BCBS you shouldn't be bothered by high ABV.
    The new Captain Lawrence IPA (not the reserve). It has only been around for a few weeks.
    Maine Lunch, harder to get because, sells out a lot.
    Dog Fish Head in this order 75 min in a 750ml (new batches all over the city. Then 90 mins, or 60 mins.
    West coast has great stuff and gets to NY within a week. Just check for dates and stay with in 30 day window witj any of these...
    Ballast Sculpin, Stone IPA, SN either Torpedo or celebration. Bear Rebuplic racer 5, Firestone Double Jack (union jack is bland). Lagunitas Sucks is also good...
    Not sure where in the NY area but if you see Kelso Industrial IPA on tap anywhere go out of your way to get some. Brew York growler bar at the Union Sq is having a Kelso tasting tomorrow from 4 to 7.o don't k ow what is o tap but between that growler bar and whole foods down the block you should find almost everything I listed.

Just avoid flower power for your first.
  39. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Go big or go home, sixpoint resin. It's just plain awesome, who cares if it's 9% it's freakin delicious