1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

what should my first IPA be?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by loafinaround, Feb 14, 2013.

1. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

My first IPA was Red Racer.

2. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

This post can't be serious.

smutty33 likes this.
  3. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (290) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

By now the OP could have bought and drank a dozen different ones. Time to give up.

4. So you love stouts, are you a Storm King fan? If so, the natural progression would be with HopDevil or Yakima Glory, I bet you like both.

5. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (475) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

My personal journey into the Hop world was with Sierra Nevada Pale ale, followed by the more forward New Belgium Ranger IPA. Flower Power was among my first experimental forays as well. But the recommendation to start out easy (Dales, DFW 60, SN Pale) is a good recommend so you will not get overwhelmed. Becoming a Hop Head for me was more of a process than diving right in. Once you are thouroughly immersed treat yourself to a Russian River Pliney the Elder.

6. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I see ur in NY.

I'd say Dogfish 60min or Victory Hop Devil for starters.
    If you wait a bit,New England Brewing Co. is on its way to ur neck o' the woods.
    Try a Sea Hag I.P.A.I think that one is a great choice for a hop head in training.

Cheers and Enjoy.......

7. dougfur

dougfur Savant (320) New York Jan 24, 2011

Notice how many people are saying Flower Power? There is a reason for that. What's confusing me is how many people are also saying Stone IPA. I've only tried it once (all of their beers are absurdly overpriced around here), but I was quite dissapointed. I may have to try it again since you are all so impressed by it...

8. Excellent advice. I would add Victory Headwaters Pale Ale and Troegs Pale Ale to suggested list of APAs.

9. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

Pull out the big guns and aim for the best Heady Topper. Why settle for less? :)

10. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

This

11. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (290) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

Of course tibetan yak cheese. Exactly the same as hops. Everyone knows that.

12. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

Firestone Walker Union Jack. Your welcome.

13. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Yeah took the words right out of my mouth.... I love stouts too, cellar is full, drank plead the 5th and BCBS this week exclusively, but a "BA" that loves all things stout never once picking up an IPA I find a touch hard to believe.

Here's the solution, be a BA and try different styles, you are not 5 anymore and your palate should be able to handle more then mac n' cheese and tator tots. Secondly, lets attempt to see through some of the BS in these horrible threads. Lots of great suggestions from the community, but really...

14. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

OK, note to self: won't be honest with my habits and experiences, and won't ask candid advice on this forum.
    Comments like these aren't terribly friendly or helpful. Not sure why so many threads on this site have comments like this, but suffice to say, I suspect no one likes being the recipient of them. It creates a less than friendly vibe for no good reason other than to feed smugness.

To the rest of those who gave friendly advice, many thanks :)

raffels and smutty33 like this.
  15. schildres

schildres Aficionado (170) Maryland Oct 14, 2010

I agree with the idea of starting with a black IPA first since you do love stouts. Heavy Sea's Black Cannon is one of my favorites and then you can try Loose Cannon as well. I also would recommend DFH 60, Stone IPA and SN Torpedo, those are great options. 21st Ammendment's Back in Black is also a nice easy drinking Black IPA in my opinion. Good luck, hope you enjoy them!

Cheers!

16. abkayak

abkayak Savant (335) New York Jan 8, 2013

yea but being it wasn't directed at me..it was a kinda funny read......jusayin
    dont worry about your 1st IPA...its more important to think about the next dozen or so

17. Dogfish 90 Minute, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid or Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye (not IPA, but hoppy). All great intros to hops with a solid malty backdrop. Balanced brews are the way to go in the beginning.

18. Stone Ruination. Have fun.