1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What size freezer should I get for a keezer conversion?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Jesse14, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Jesse14

Jesse14 Savant (290) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2011

I want to buy a freezer and eventually convert it over to a keezer. However, I also want enough room in it to keep some of my bottles that I have been cellaring. Just trying to maximize the space. Is it worth trying to find a freezer that can satisfy both those needs or just get one tailored for the kegs.

In a perfect world, I would like to have a freezer for kegs, one for cellaring beer, and one for fermentation. I don't have the space or money for that though. Any recommendations on sizes or ways to maximize one or two freezers for all those uses?

2. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

How many kegs do you want to rock?

You won't want to double up on the tasks of cellaring and fermenting. Too much fluctuation of temp.

Edit, I think it would be fine to cellar some of your beers alongside your kegs in your keezer. You'll want a secondary fridge or another small freezer to do your fermenting. Take note that it's a lot easier to lift a fermenter out of a fridge than a freezer. :)

3. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (425) New York Sep 1, 2004

how big a freezer? that depends on how many kegs you want.
    keep in mind that lifting a half barrel into a chest freezer is not very easy. a keezer is much better suited to sixtels or homebrew corny kegs.

Micromatic has all keg dimensions. you can make a cardboard cutout of the diameter of the keg and bring those to the appliance store. it will give you a good idea of what fits. there are alot of photos and dimensions online as well. spend some time searching and youll find many chest freezer conversions with dimensions.

cellaring and draft beer don't mix well. the temps are quite different. and you will not really enjoy moving around steel kegs and 10 year old RIS. it only takes one careless move and you can lose alot of glass.
    Cheers.

inchrisin likes this.
  4. Jesse14

Jesse14 Savant (290) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2011

I guess I would be looking at a keezer for 2-3 corny kegs. Would that be a 5.0 cu.ft?
    What about a fermentation upright freezer/frige? What's the smallest I could go? Just big enough for a carboy?

5. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (735) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Probably works for 2, I'm guessing not for 3.

I have a 7.0 cu.ft. chest freezer. I carefully measured all the dimensions and did a bunch of geometry, designed and built a collar and was sure I could fit 4 kegs in there. And I can. But, I can't serve 4 kegs. Why? Because I forgot to include the height of the quick-connects and once I hook up the keg that sits on the shelf, the lid won't actually close. I'm thinking about picking up a 3-gal keg to use in that spot, and I can still lager / store a keg there, but I definitely kick myself about messing that up :(

6. PJHealy

PJHealy Aficionado (100) Ohio Jun 14, 2012

Build a collar for the freezer to gain more height and to give you an easy place to drill holes for tubing to go in and out. Pretty easy project, and instructions can be found online (try the homebrewtalk forums if not here).

7. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (475) New York Feb 9, 2011

8. humalupa

humalupa Zealot (80) Michigan Apr 15, 2010

Decide on the perfect size. Then go out and buy something bigger. Eventually, you'll want that extra space. To serve more beers, ferment a lager, store some bottles, etc... It's nice if you can fit the CO2 tank and regulator in there as well, although it can also live on the outside.