1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What Style Is This?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mattclough, Feb 22, 2013.

1. mattclough

mattclough Disciple (65) Maryland Jan 31, 2013

So I want to enter my latest brew into the NHC, but it's a recipe that I completely made up in an attempt to make a beer that would compliment champagne at a new year's party. Does it behoove me to find a style that it most closely fits and try to have it judged accordingly, or do I need to register as a specialty beer? I know that the specialty beer category gets pretty crowded and variations abound. Here's the info on the brew:

36.2% Malted Wheat
    36.2% Pilsner Malt
    18.1% Rye Malt
    4.5% Carapils
    5% Acidulated Malt
    7.8AAU Calypso boiled for 10 minutes
    White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale

IBU: 9
    OG 1.051
    ABV 5.20%

Very light straw color, highly carbonated, crisp, slightly sour, somewhat balanced body but on the drier side.

There are a lot of styles that kind of sound like this but none exactly. Any ideas?
  2. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (280) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Belgian Specialty? Looks like a table beer and good at that. How'd those Calypso's compliment that yeast?
    pweis909 likes this.
  3. mattclough

mattclough Disciple (65) Maryland Jan 31, 2013

Dynamite. I spent a while looking for some hops that would give me the flavor that was in my head and the yeast complimented it very well.
  4. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (280) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Good to know! I've been meaning to make a BPA or a simple table beer (singel) with the ones I scored.
  5. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

I agree with the above poster that Belgian Specialty is probably the best place. Sounds like a really interesting recipe!
  6. I just placed in my first homebrew comp with a somewhat similar beer (Session strength BPA w/ NZ hops and brett) in Belgian Specialty, and I think that's the only place for it.