1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

What temperature do you drink your beer at?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by StoutLover4life, Jan 9, 2013.

?

What temperature do you drink your beer at?

1. colder than cellar temp

75.0%
  2. cellar temp (65 degrees)

18.8%
  3. room temp

6.3%
  1. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Member

Never measured, but generally wait 5-10 minutes to drink after taking out of the fridge.

Also, I did discover that the ideal temperature to drink Westy XII involves the following steps:
    1) Refrigerate overnight
    2) Put in coat pocket
    3) Ride 57 bus from Oak Square to Kenmore
    4) Take Green Line to Prudential T stop
    5) Walk two blocks in the pouring rain

Took roughly 45 minutes and the beer was perfect drinking temperature when I arrived at my buddy's place.
    MarioM likes this.
  2. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Member

Right now, I'm overstocked with IPAs so the fridge is set pretty low [40 - 42] to hopefully preserve them. When I want a beer, I usually pull two out and let the first one sit for at least 10 minutes before I drink it so I'm not real sure what temp it starts at. Since I tend to drink the first one pretty quick, I start with a low ABV beer and when I'm ready for the second one, I pull out a third beer and drink the second one and on and on until I'm loaded.
  3. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Member

Depends on the style.
    cwreay90 likes this.
  4. Mit

Mit Member

Probably colder than I should. When I'm doing a tasting or a review I will generally take the beer out of the fridge and set it on the counter till whenever I do the review....
  5. lucasj82

lucasj82 Member

Out of the fridge (38 degrees), into the glass, and I go from there. I like experiencing the beer as it warms and the taste changes, but amazing taste or thirst can override that.
  6. BigCheese

BigCheese Member

Man, bus from oak square to kenmore, and then taking the green line. You earned that westy.

Personally if I'm taking the green line (b) I prefer a cold AAL or spiked soda.
  7. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Member

Between 55 (cellar-temp) and around 65 for most ales. For light-colored lagers and Kolsch, definitely cooler, at least to start. Dark lagers (bock, schwarz, etc) can vary depending on the beer.
  8. GoGators

GoGators Member

I hear a lot of people say 45-55 degrees and i myself like to take my beers out of the fridge for 20-30 minutes before consuming them, but does anyone actually pop a thermometer in the beer or do something to actually measure the temp?
  9. Groomsy

Groomsy Member

I usually let pale ales and IPAs sit outside of the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Heavier beers I'll let sit for about twenty minutes or so. Lagers usually come straight out of the fridge for me.
  10. csurowiec

csurowiec Member

This time of year I drink more big beers and IPAs and they stay a happy 50 degrees in the garage. Summertime I drink more beers that are better closer to fridge temp. And they are kept in the fridge and consumed shortly after removal from the fridge. I don't cellar anything long term. I buy beer to drink it.
  11. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Member

Where are you that your basement is 50?
  12. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Member

Ideally, start a bit colder, and experience them as they slowly warm. I use an antique flint glass pint which insulates the beer nicely and allows a longer time at optimum temperature to carefully enjoy them.
  13. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Member

I was bringing it to share with some friends. They rewarded my efforts with some Hill Farmstead.