1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What Texas breweries will you visit in 2013?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Ford, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Breweries I haven't been to and want to hit this next year:

Freetail
    Real Ale
    Deep Ellum
    Southern Star
    8th Wonder (once they are up and running)

Houston breweries I know I'll make it to:
    Karbach
    Buffalo Bayou
    Saint Arnold
    No Label

This is my Texas beer resolution for 2013
  2. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

3. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (375) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Freetail in a couple weeks.

Outta State:
    Russian River and Lagunitas after running Big Sur and San Francisco marathons.
    Whatever is in Vancouver, BC.
  4. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (560) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Freetail and Jester King are certain. Not sure about any others
  5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Really need to get to Houston to visit Karbach.

I've yet to find a beer they make that I don't lurve.
  6. galvetraz

galvetraz Aficionado (105) Texas Sep 7, 2009

I would like to hit up Conroe and see Southern Star as well as visit Karbach.
  7. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Might have a chance to see Russian River and Stone in the near future.

As far as Texas Breweries go:
    I have yet to visit Jester King...
  8. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I have plans for Jester King, Deep Ellum and Martinhouse (once they open)
  9. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I foresee lots of trips to Freetail and The Granary for me in 2013. I'd like to make another visit to Jester King (only been once, over a year ago) and finally make the trip to Real Ale this year as well. I'm also looking forward to checking out some of the new upcoming breweries in SATX (Branchline, Busted Sandal, Mad Pecker, 5 Stones).

Outside of TX, I'm really hoping to make a trip East to see Pizza Boy Brewing's (Al's of Hampden) new facility. Their old place is smaller than Whip-In, but ten times better.
  10. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

Jester King and Karbach definitely. What else is in or near SF? I'm headed there in May to make a run at some of the restaurants out there. Looks like I can make an interesting drive from French Laundry to Russian River..
  11. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

I visited some friends in SF last June. I was there for a little over a week and went to so many places I can't even remember all of them. I know we visited Russian River, Lagunitas, Bear Republic, Moylans, 21st Amendment, Monk's Kettle, Magnolia Pub and Brewery and The Trappist (Oakland). Blackwell's Wine (5620 Geary Blvd) is a good place to buy bottles to load up your suitcase and bring back home.

On topic, I need to get to Austin Beerworks, Rogness and Adelberts this year, and Twisted X when they get their new brewery up and running... plus Celis?
    tx_beer_man and mattchow like this.
  12. Will be in DFW area (staying in Frisco) Feb 4-7, which is a Mon-Thurs. Are there any breweries that would be worth stopping by on these days? I've been to Frisco twice before, so know my way around the area in terms of bottle shops and pubs, but wouldn't mind checking out some breweries too. Tried contacting Franconia years ago, but never heard back.

Will then be moving onto to Austin Feb 8-10 (Fri-Sun). Visited Jester King last year, and will definitely be going back. I noticed 512 has a tour from 11am-12pm on Saturday, so was thinking of hitting there first. So again sorta wondering if there are any other recommendations in terms of brewery visits/tours? What can I expect on a 512 tour?

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks again guys. I first visited Texas in 2008, the beer scene has come a long way in a very short time!
  13. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

I have not been on a tour at 512 in a long time, not sure what the tours are like now. I believe you do need to make reservations/get tickets in advance and that they tend to sell out quickly.

For other Austin breweries, I would definitely recommend going by Hops & Grain's tasting room. They're open from 2-6 on Fridays and 12-4 on Saturdays. No ticket required. You may also try to email Live Oak and see if they're offering a tour that Saturday. It's an interesting space and they make some great beers. Austin Beerworks offers Friday happy hour tours from 5-8pm. They require a ticket and they're somewhat difficult to come by.
  14. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not making it out to Freetail yet.
  15. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

First up will be Community. Tix already bought.
    Then JK the following Saturday. both will be first visits for me and Community will be their first tour as well.

We may drive down Sunday morning to Freetail. Because people..if you haven't been to Freetail you are missing out on not just great beer but great people.

The rest of the year you can find me at all the various DFW breweries. I'd like to maybe start a (bi)monthly group to hit them all.

Looking forward to Martin House a lot
  16. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

scott, i was thinking of going to ananke release this year. i feel the same way about freetail. perhaps we can plan a carpool.

unless it happens in march/first week of april.
    wsnich likes this.
  17. Yes, I have heard good things about Hops and Grain tours, heard they can be quite big.

Did some more peeking around over lunch, looks like we can do Deep Ellum on Thursday night in Dallas, then 512 and Jester King on the Saturday. That should satisfy our craving for brewery tours.

Thanks for the reply!
  18. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Already been to freetail twice so far this year. I'll make it up to JK again soon I'm sure. Beyond that I'd like to make it to ABW for sure
  19. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Jester King.

And whatever is between here and Los Angeles with a stop in Vegas.
  20. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Marble and Elevated in NM if you go that route.
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  21. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

I'll definitely be going to Saint Arnold and Karbach. Southern Star is just down the street from my folk's house so I will most likely make it to that also. I really need to make the pilgrimage to Freetail. The wife has been wanting to go stay in San Antonio for a couple of nights so that will be a good excuse to go.
  22. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Had a good year in 2012: Jester King (5 or 6 times), Austin Beerworks, Thirsty Planet, Circle, Independence, Hops and Grain, Rogness, Pinthouse, Freetail. Hope I'm not forgetting any. This year, I'd like to hit some of the Houston spots.
    thirdeye11 likes this.
  23. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

I will absolutely hit every brewery in DFW a few times this year. That is getting harder and harder to do though, given the rise in numbers.

I am also going to the Jester King 2nd Anniversary party in a couple weeks, and will definitely go to Freetail a few times this year as well. Aside from those, I'm just not sure. We'll see where the year takes me :)

Cheers,
    Chad
    H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  24. air

air Savant (350) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Already hit Peticolas a couple times, and just recently Karbach. Next up are Lakewood, Community, and Four Corners. I really wanna visit Austin Beerworks and (512).
  25. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (440) Texas Aug 31, 2011

Rahr has tours on Wednesday/Saturday and Deep Ellum has tours on Thursday/Saturday. Franconia and Lakewood both offer Saturday tours. Community hasn't set an official day yet (grand opening is next week), but it'll also probably be Saturday.
  26. corbey

corbey Aficionado (160) Texas Oct 22, 2006

Adelbert's, for their great Friday afternoon happy hour.
  27. mmireles

mmireles Aficionado (210) Texas May 18, 2005

Living in the Houston area I would like to see:

Southern Star
    Karbach
    No Label
  28. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (425) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Does peticolas have a set tour day?
  29. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

It looks like I'll be making it to a lot more breweries than I expected. The misses and I sat down and we talked about the different breweries we wanted to go to and these are the dates we figured out so far.

January 26th: Jester King

March 1st: Real Ale

March 2nd: Free Tail

March 23rd: Deep Ellum

I'm sure when we get back from Ireland in May, we will set up some more dates for tours.
  30. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Hit up a bar and taste some no label's before visiting the brewery. I was disappointed and continue to be underwhelmed by their beers. But if you like it, that's your bidness. Was a far drive for me from Sugar Land.

And I'm dying to visit Jester King and Freetail
  31. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Oh yeah, I'll be visiting Karbach, Buff Bayou, No Label and Jester King here in Texas. I'll also be visiting SF for baseball season. That means Anchor & Schmaltz!!! Last time I was in LA, I was able to convince the wife, brother and his GF (both regulars) to visit Stone...Looks like I may have a chance to convince them to make the trek to Lagunitas!
  32. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

No Russian River while in SF?!
  33. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

If you're thinking about going to Anchor you should probably book now.
  34. tx_beer_man

Damn! Russian River is in SF!?!? My entire time may be spent there and one SF Giants game.
  35. tx_beer_man

Thanks for the heads-up. Now that's legit:

We are now taking reservations up to six months in advance. Due to the popularity of our tour, we will not be able to accommodate you for a tour without reservations.
  36. HopAG

Do you even drink beer bro?

On a serious note, make sure to book that thing stat!
  37. HopAG

I was in SD 2 weeks ago.

I managed to hit up Stone, Ballast Point, and the Lost Abbey/Port Brewing!

Stone was incredibly impressive and just a beautiful place to visit.

Ballast Point was a very cool and mellow place. Great place to have a casual evening with friends and have fun.

Lost Abbey/Port Brewing was by far my favorite of all the places we visited. Mostly due to the incredibly friendly and outgoing staff. Our tour guide Andy was awesome and just a cool cat in general. You saw more of the beer hipster guys here but who would blame them when you have high quality stuff on the taps. Awesome beers overall.
  38. tx_beer_man

Verr r rr y funny. I agree. Stone's got an incredible facility and will be a beer drinker's haven once the hotel comes in.

Once my date's are checked off, I'm booking anchor for sure!
  39. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Savant (265) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Well since I'm moving to Austin at the end of the month I'd say pretty much every brewery in the city :)
  40. I'd like to hit Community once everything gets sorted out.

In March I'm going to Austin and expect to hit JK, Freetail, Thirsty Planet, and either NXNW or Hops and Grain, depending on when we get into town Friday. I'd like to hit Live Oak and 512 but they are spotty with tours.