1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What the Duck?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Jun 6, 2013.

1. just seen this......

http://www.rubberduckie.com.au/

it would appear as tho Murrays at Manly has been 'facelifted'. It occured to me I hadn't been down for a while. Anyone been more recently and can comment if it is a facelift/makeover or just a rename and if the previous taplist concept of 'Mostly Murrays' has been altered?

cheers,
  2. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

LOL. Mr Kennedy and I were talking about this earlier today. Not too sure about this at all.

Have heard that the food gets killed for poor quality for the price. As well, service is rather shocking. Last time I was there had a really bad experience and have not wanted to go back.
  3. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

So, is it winter in that part of the world right now?
    Lukie likes this.
  4. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Taphouse with no tap list?

Australia.
    mulder1010 likes this.
  5. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

From the Rubber Duckie Taphouse Facebook page:

"Murrays is rolling out a new Taphouse concept which we hope to expand throughout the country"

Amusingly these were Murray's exact words regarding Murray's branded bars when I spoke to him briefly on the opening night of Murray's Manly.

18 months later it appears he's decided that, well actually, Murray's branding is the problem.

Now that the renaming/rebranding is sorted, I'm sure his Australia-wide expansion plans will proceed swimmingly.

Fark, maybe I need to change my name to Usain Bolt.
  6. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

murrays seem to have been really quiet for a while,
    no heap of new relases like a few years back
  7. mulder1010

Was told things are coming. That was in February with the new expansion. The new rep said they had some things coming that would be very cool. There is an Imperial Oyster Stout coming.
    Always wondered if the venue might really hurt them in the end. Expensive as hell place they are using in Manly.
    Did try 2011 and 2012 Wild thing a few days ago and 2012 was not good, 2011 was excellent.
  8. Interesting indeed.... went from Murrays at Manly to Murrays Brewery Bar to RubberDuckies. Really not sure where the drivers are behind all that. Never really felt like a craft beer venue after the first 'half-open' phase imho, but then again, I suspect those watching the P/L projections would have worked out where to make real money and proceeded in that diorection quick-smart.

Aside - have read that the venue in question has never run either for any length of time nor been profitable in any previous incarnation.
  9. mulder1010

A few of you know I work in hospitality. Was told that by several friends I have in the industry, including restaurant owners (lower north shore/ manly area) when it was learned Murray's took that over. It is weird as it should go over well. 4 Pines is impossible to get a seat at now. Who knows
  10. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Fair enough with the rebranding but I'm not too sure if "Rubber Duckie" is a particularly compelling or unique concept either.

On another note, has anyone tried the new release of Wild Thing? Anyone know what the reported extra Imperial Stout they're adding to the lineup this year is? It is the Oyster one?
  11. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Wasn't it only released at the brewery this morning?
  12. danieelol

It may well have been, it's listed on their website shop now though (I'm assuming it's not leftovers from last year's as the homepage says "it's back")
  13. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Dont know much about that area, but really? They think Rubber Duckie will work where other "brands" havent? Not much faith in the clientèle then.
  14. danieelol

Sydney
    joecast likes this.
  15. foles

foles Savant (410) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Was there only a few weeks back. Beer was off the charts good, but the place was mostly empty on a Sunday arvo. But 4 Pines down the road was packed (with inferior, but not bad beer). It has something to do with this I think. But I wouldnt have thought disassociating yourself with the brewery and first class beer was the answer!! Sick of bars with expensive imported bottled beer lists, barely any local stuff, and no beery substance.
  16. mulder1010

Location, location, location. Get of the Manly ferry and 4 Pines is a short walk. Very much apart of the community in Manly. Murray's??? Not a great location, bad service, several menu changes and just a plain hassle to go there. Really hate to say it but just a bad choice as the stuff near the ferry are far more interesting, food wise, than what Murray's offers.
    LeeroyAgogo likes this.
  17. Lukie and danieelol like this.
  18. I see Mr BoTF about, but never read the blog. Funny how his hawks nest mates bet on the dogs and won enough to sponsor thier own race ... had funny times at the dogs myself ...
  19. danieelol

tbh if Murray's had been anywhere else (inner west, east, north, cbd, rocks), I would have gone there farrrrrrrr more frequently. But I guess that's intuitive as all those areas are readily accessible by public transport.

I did have a legitimately amazing experience at their brilliant (D)IPA dinner, but I also sat there for an hour at another time, waiting for service when they were seemingly drastically overstaffed...hmm

and thanks Barney, that's an interesting read.
  20. Had a few gigs in my time, have to say running a hospo gig aint easy. Esp. with the ACTU getting a rise of the minimum wage again with no increase in productivity ... cant chop carrots much quicker than already happening, so why pay $16 a week more minus super/paye/payroll tax .... just cos'!

Just thinking aloud, did it hurt their brand in the end? Is it just a blip, far exceeded for the brilliance Shaun shows in the brewhouse ... ??? dunno ... i reckon Shauns work will always outpace anything else they will do ...
  21. MrKennedy

A quick glance at the upcoming greyhound races at Dapto sees big name sponsors such as Greyhound Products Direct and Southern Engine Reconditioning so no doubt they must've won a fortune;)
  22. Reckon we should do a BA one at Harold Park ... Dapto's my local, but not for the rest of you Rabble. Anyone thinkof a name ...? Race #5, proudly sponsored by the Beer Advocate Pole Dancing Association ....
  23. bladdamasta

bladdamasta Disciple (65) Australia Sep 12, 2009

Whilst the location has caused plenty of issues to other owners (maybe cursed!), other places nearby haven't had the same sort of issues. Hemingways is permanently packed and the site is only a couple of doors down from the Steyne, which is also packed. Judging by the reaction to my blog, the problem was service, attitude and a complete lack of consistency of menu and staff. The latest incarnation is still going to sell Murrays beer. Interesting to see whether the new management will create a better vibe.

BTW, to sponsor a dog's race is about $400 (and that's in the city). Reckon Dapto and Wyong would be less.
  24. I'm in for $50 ...
  25. I am getting more intrigued by this situation.

I can understand a re-name, as it looks fresh 'n' shiny from the street. What is more unusual is the lack of mention of Rubber Duckie on Murray's recent promo e-mails. And the Rubber Duckie website is skeletal to say the least. No Facebook presence. Almost looks as though Murray is trying to quietly let go and not lose face.....

Any other info anyone have?
  26. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

I too thought the omission in those recent emails was revealing.

Also interesting there has been no attempt to update or cross-promote (via complementary social media) the half-baked website they commenced with.
  27. Maybe they are trying to distance themselves from what has turned out to be a bad marketing decision with the name change.
  28. I know all but am sworn to secrecy ...
  29. MrKennedy

Apparently new owners
  30. Ok, I finally - due to Plan B - ended up at Manly on the weekend.

Did 4 Pines and the inaugral visit to Rubber Duckie.

4 Pines had their usual small range of beers on - only one seasonal, which the bartender, when asked what style it was, told me to read the blackboard. :eek: meh for service and just above meh for the seasonal. It was packed.
    Rubber Duckie looks a bit like Murray's used to , but if you took half the furnishings out, and replaced with wooden stools and a few umbrellas hanging from the ceiling. Sparse fit-out. And indeed, sparse on the punters! Still have the 20 taps, all were NSW, mostly Murray's, 4 Pines, Dr Orders, Hopdog. No beer menus, no info or prices on the now empty black wall behind the bar. It almost looks like a bar that just happens, by co-incidence, to sell only craft. Most of the punters I saw were drinking, ah-hem, pale styles of beer.

So there you go, the conundrum continues.... quite why 4 Pines does so much better is anyone's guess, tho Rubber Duckie I have less faith in than Murrays-as-was to survive.

to the next chapter....

31. Wow how disappointing :(