1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What the Friek

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Goosey, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I just passed up a Abyss at $12 for a Odell Friek at $20 (though I do already have 2 Abyss). Anyone have any thoughts on this guy? I've never had it, but it was the last on the shelf, and it sold out in a day. That makes me think that it must at least be something worth having, but it is hard to imagine why this cost more than an Abyss. Hopefully it is as good as Deconstruction, which is great with a few years on it. I am really thinking age is the way to go with this one. Thoughts?
  2. jhu1995

jhu1995 Aficionado (225) Maryland Jun 18, 2005

Had Friek at the Savor Beer DC event two years ago. By far my favorite beer at that event (my bro's as well). You chose wisely. Not sure if it was aged at all prior to the event, but all I know is it was delicious. Very jealous right now.
  3. I thought Friek was pretty tasty. It's not too sour (you decide if that is good or bad) and the fruit flavors are nice. At $20 it is a bit steep though.
  4. robwater

robwater Aficionado (215) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

Very solid kriek. Solid cherry (like the actual fruit - not Ludens cough drops - see Lindeman's kriek), but not crazy sour like a Jacobins Rouge. It's a good grab for sure.
  5. It's good, but not $20 good.
    ArrogantB likes this.
  6. You did a smart thing piking it up. You already have a couple bottles of Abyss, so why not try something new?

And me, I love Friek. It's a very solid kriek from a local brewery (and its $16 here, $20 is pretty steep). Personally, I'd rather drink it than Abyss...buy I'm a sour guy
  7. cselby

cselby Aficionado (135) California Sep 14, 2012

i just received a friek in a trade. although i have never tried it, should i sit on the bottle for a little bit longer, or since it is fruited, should i enjoy it sooner?
  8. You've never had it, so no point in sitting on it. Crack her open!
    willandperry likes this.
  9. iadler

iadler Savant (405) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Just had it on tap and there was a lot of cherry and raspberry. I thought it wasn't too sour, but had more of a tart taste from the fruit. I enjoyed it, but could see it maybe getting a little more funky and sour and less sweet as time goes on.
  10. cselby

cselby Aficionado (135) California Sep 14, 2012

this weekend it is, then! thanks!
  11. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (410) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

I had Friek a couple years back. It wasn't very sour at all. Almost like an alcoholic fruit soda.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

If you already had a couple abyss and enjoy a great kreik, then you made the right decision. It's an amazing beer, probably my favorite small release from odell.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  13. bushmat2

bushmat2 Aficionado (120) Colorado Feb 18, 2011

I personally like it much much better fresh.
  14. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I have no idea why Todd moved this to U.S. Mountain. I am in Missouri, and is not really a region specific question, but thanks for the thoughts anyway. New thread... reducing cognitive dissonance.
  15. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

I thought I read somewhere that Chad from Crooked Stave was involved in originally creating this beer. Anyone know anything about this?
  16. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Colorado Nov 17, 2010

$16 seems to be the standard price, which is more than I want to spend for it in the first place. So $20 is definitely very high. That said, its a good beer and worth trying. I'd have overpaid that once and given it a try, I like trying stuff.

What I find frustrating is I looked to if see this beer was on tap around me so I wouldn't have to buy a full bottle,, it wasn't so went and finally grabbed a bottle. Within that week it finally started hitting taps around town.
  17. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (630) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

Almost bought a bottle of this, but I'm glad I didn't. Had it on tap and was really disappointed, tasted watered down to me, still pretty good, but nowhere near what I was expecting. Would love to try it again because I always think there's a chance something happened somewhere down the line that held it back from what it should really taste like, but at the prices it's going for that's a hard sell.
  18. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (450) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

I don't know much in the way of details, but he worked at Odell for a year or so before opening Crooked Stave. I heard he helped create Friek and Saboteur.
  19. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Love the beer. Prefer it fresh and wish it was cheaper.
  20. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (825) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Loved it. Excellent sour, maybe even on par with La Folie. I don't hesitate when I see it on the shelf, even with its hefty pricetag. Probably my favourite beer from Odell.
  21. Better fresh. Still pretty good with time but I put away a batch 1 and compared it to batch 2 when it was last released, the freshness of the berries was kind of lost on it. The fruit doesn't hold up as well as say a Cantillon. 20$ for not being bought in Denver, doesn't seem way out of line. I wish all of Odell's specialty stuff was cheaper, but Friek is the only one I don't even think twice about dropping the cash on. Good beer.
  22. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

There's about 8-9 bottles of this at my tiny local liquor store in the back, in a corner, priced at $11. I might just have to go clear em out!
  23. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (875) Colorado May 19, 2005

We got about a case left. :cool: