1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

what to eat with bourbon barley wine

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by karink, Jan 28, 2013.

1. karink

karink Aficionado (165) California Nov 28, 2009

any recommendations? Thanks!

2. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (605) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

As far as meat goes I think lamb would be a good choice, or maybe game meat, perhaps wild boar. If you looking to pair with cheese I'd go with a blue cheese such as Stilton, or a well aged goat cheese.

match1112 likes this.
  3. A really sharp aged cheddar. I don't think I would really pair it with a full meal though personally.

Bierlerner likes this.
  4. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

I agree with Hockey and bpgpitt. Lamb or boar would be good, but at the same time that is a beer that should most likely be enjoyed as a digestif.

5. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I've found that BBBWs make for wonderful dessert beers after a nice big plate of chicken tikka masala or other spicy Indian dishes.

surlytheduff likes this.
  6. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

BBBW with Chili Chicken and paratha. Actually, this makes me want to eat Indian, off I go!

MarkIntihar likes this.
  7. A nice creamy gorgonzola with rye bread is my personal fav. Throw that on a plate with some raw or candied pears and some dates and you will pull some nice flavors out.

i really like barleywines.

PS. This is best followed after a light-medium meal, and to last 1-2 hours. only an amateur lover would rush making love, and only an amateur would rush the barleywine.

beercules101 likes this.
  8. A philly cheese steak hot pocket, cooked well done.

9. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,190) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Variety of cheese, hard cheddar, soft cheeses possibly particularly if they are fatty and not too strong (Camponzola, soft brie).. gamey stuff like goat and barleywine could work but it could be a bit too much on the palate. Try several.

As for a "dish" that's tough since the beer style is usually very large, but the end of the meal option makes most sense to me.

10. I had a Sucuba at Beachwood last night. Went well with chicken nachos and buffalo sloppy joe.

beercules101 and UCLABrewN84 like this.
  11. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Ummm, that sounds good. I'll have that.

beercules101 likes this.