What to expect from a Bruery vist

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by MCDub, Mar 27, 2013.

1. MCDub

MCDub Savant (320) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

going to be going to The Bruery in early April and I'm looking for some input. I'm looking to buy one of each bottle available that I havent had and multiple 'special' ones. What kinda of stuff can I expect in terms of available bottles. Also is there a particular time or day that is best for avoiding crowds. Im thinking of getting there on a Monday around open. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Monday at open won't be busy.

Are you talking about bottles to drink there or to bring home? They don't really have many "special" bottles that you can take to-go (or that many for you to drink there, for that matter).

3. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

The Bruery's tasting room opens at 5pm on Monday. Their tasting room page lists what they have on tap, note that some beers are available only for growler fills for RS/HS members.

Expect the bottles they have online in their stores what they have available to buy on at the tasting room: http://www.thebruerystore.com/c-7-beer.aspx

4. You'll see all the great stuff over the counter (BT, CR, GM, WC, etc.) but sadly, they will not be for sale. Melange #3, Sour in the Rye, and Tart of Darkness is the best bottled stuff available the last time I visited

5. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

blguillen likes this.
  6. Srsly

Srsly Aficionado (215) California Mar 21, 2010

i mean, those are all pretty awesome beers, and if you don't normally have access to Bruery stuff that could be pretty special. Their tap list has always had several great sours when I've been, and though you can't take them home it's awesome to be able to hang out and drink them all.

Monday, in my experience, is an awesome time to go, too.

4kbrianb likes this.
  7. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

Looks like they replaced the beer list with a Taphunter link that hasn't been updated in three weeks. I wonder why on earth they did that.

8. Well, at least if it's on TapHunter the people that go there and drink can update it, since the Bruery provided list seemed to be frequently out of date.

9. sirtomtom

Well that's pointless to have up then.

For the OP, you can sign up for their mailing list which sends a newsletter about once a week which has the most up to date tap list. Here is the list from the March 21st email. Should change a bit/quite a bit from when you'll be there but should give you a rough idea of how much they'll have on tap.

10. They do have a pretty good number of beers that they'll sell you to-go. They're usually lined up over the tap lines in the glass shelf.

Don't expect anything that is RS/HS exclusive or anything like that. But there's some good Provision-esque bottles up there and the runoff of the unsold RS allocations.

It is a small space. Don't expect much in the way of a tour. You'll get to see the brewing equipment from past glass. Sign up for the newsletter as the above mentioned and you'll get a nice weekend sum up of what to expect. Weekends are the time when they toss out at least some planning into what is going on.

You should probably plan for a trip to Bootlegger's or Nobel ale while you're in the area.

11. Try to line up an IP trade if your looking for some specific bottles.
    Monday at opening - you'll probably be the only one there.

12. Notice the bottom of the list posted by sirtomtom will tell you what growler fills are available for certain beers. Some of them can only be purchased by a member of the Bruery's Reserve or Hoarder Society. When it comes time for your trip, if you posted a request for some generous society member to meet up with you there, that person could purchase one of the 'exclusive' growlers on your behalf.

13. Was there like 3 weeks ago and all these were there. Think I saw some Fruet too

14. i came here to tell you to sign up, but I got beat to the punch.... DEFINITELY sign up for the mailing list. That way you know exactly what is available on tap. There are some very special beers available on tap in my opinion... the store online will tell you what is available to purchase in bottle form. Oh by the way, be friendly and shoot the shit, you never know what secrets hints, tips, or news may be available within the walls of a tasting room.

15. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Expect a lot of craft beards and North Face jackets!

16. You can also follow them on facebook/check the Bruery Tasting Room facebook page, since they usually post a link to a webpage that has the content of the email sent out that week.

17. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

i'm dying here hahahaha

18. MCDub

How does the RS work? I know someone here that has a RS membership and has someone pick it up and ship it out. Could I just use his credentials?

19. SUBER

SUBER Aficionado (230) California Jan 26, 2013

RS member has to be there...theres a serect handshake involved..

20. use his credentials? For what? You're out of luck on the RS/HS beers unless someone is there to hook you up. Last year they didn't give a shit about the cards as I don't recall ever having to show mine. This year they want to keep track of what you're buying, so they like to swipe the card now. So you'll need one for access to those pours.

21. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

The people behind the bar at the Bruery are like the bartenders at Toronado SF. You don't belong there.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  22. MCDub

Meaning can I just use his card

23. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

Not if they check your ID.

24. Having been to both places multiple times, my main reaction is a hearty HUH? The SF bartenders are much nicer.

.../s/s/s

DocBrewsky and Patrick like this.
  25. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I've only been a couple times with 21+ family, and it's like they don't want you there. Very unfriendly for some reason.

DocBrewsky likes this.
  26. sirtomtom

I think a lot of places take Stone's motto, "You are not worthy." a bit too seriously.

27. rboinski

rboinski Savant (305) California Mar 19, 2012

Try to go when they have food trucks there, OC has some great trucks

28. Starting Friday they will have bottles of White Oak, Mrs. Stoutfire, and Imperial Loakal Red for sale. So if those are still around when you get there those are a few more bottles that probably won't see wide distribution.

29. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (270) California Sep 10, 2011

The Bruery does offer some rare bottles to be consumed on premise (everyday), but they usually go for $35 - $80 a bottle. Off of the top of my head some of them are:

* BA Cuir
    * BA Coton
    * Wanderer

There are about 7-10 more, but I can't remember.

30. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

The reserve bottle list, and you just need to ask to see it (not like asking for a CC at toronado)

IIRC melange #1 is on there, as is workmans friend and various vintages of oude tart. No BT/CR/GM/WC though.

31. 01Ryan10

But just to save confusion...the bottles offered on the list are available to anyone. You do not need to be a Reserve/Hoarder/Preservation member to buy one.

32. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

I had a Melange #1 last time I was there a couple of months ago. It was not cheap but it was delicious.

33. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Bruery is quite a friendly place, when your baseline of customer service and friendliness is Toronado SF.

Favorite troll is asking what is most comparable to Blue Moon.

gyberic, domtronzero and pmarlowe like this.
  34. The reports of poor service are greatly over exaggerated. I have had nothing but stellar service on my two visits.

35. 01Ryan10

The shitty thing about the Bruery is when it gets packed, you have to wait in line just to close out your tab and get your CC back. On Friday and Saturday evenings, I've only seen 2 people working a single line that regularly gets 10-20 people deep.

36. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

The price they charge for it means I can go 1:2 on rare and make up the slight $4$ difference, right? :D

Also +1'ing the nothing but stellar service, though I do miss seeing Aaron behind the bar.

DougOLis and domtronzero like this.
  37. billf

billf Aficionado (195) California Jul 31, 2012

Here is a shot of the bottle list from Tuesday (26 March) when I was there...

(if it helps at all, you'll see that 1/2 of the sales of these goes to charity)

[​IMG]