1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What to get at Binny's in Chicago?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by dhannes, Jan 19, 2013.

1. dhannes

dhannes Savant (395) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

Visiting Chi-town from Madison tomorrow and Monday...looking to pick up something available in the Chicago area that is not available in Wisconsin. Is there any beers that you must pick up when you are in Chicago?

2. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Nothing you must but I think the answer you're looking for is Pipeworks.

Kubrickx and Dontcounttoday like this.
  3. Half Acre Daisy Cutter for starters. I'm sure others will chime in, but I pick some of that up every time I visit Chicago. Zombie Dust if you luck into it. Luck is the key word.

Kubrickx, dman127 and OnWisconsin like this.
  4. Pick up a case or two of Enigma and Apple Ale on your way in. Probably Serendipity as well. Lots of very appreciative BA's would love an IP trade for local stuff around here.

I say this because if this thread had come up last week I would be BMing you to ask for just that, but my buddy just went and picked me up a case of each today.

Besides the possible IP trade setups, some recommendations..

I second Pipeworks. So much great beer coming from them right now. I would definitely search out the newest batch of Abduction, and definitely the Coffee Break Abduction. If you can find Cranpire still anywhere (probably not at Binnys) that is a must. Binnys will have lots more options from Pipeworks that are great, but I am not sure what exactly is available right now. In case you see it, Galaxy Unicorn is great, though the regular Ninja vs Unicorn is also awesome.

Also if you're looking for FFF beers, your best bet is definitely to just drive another 30 minutes to the brewery. Cheaper and definitely more available, though a 2 case limit.

5. dhannes

dhannes Savant (395) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

FFF?

6. femdistal

femdistal Disciple (55) Illinois Dec 8, 2010

FFF=Three Floyd's

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  7. Everything. Just buy out the store.

8. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

cranpire was in the cooler at vas foremost on milwaukee/california when i was there last night. plenty of other pipeworks there too, though it doesn't help the OP much that is looking to stop chiefly at binny's.

9. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I think it really depends on which Binny's you plan on hitting up. I don 't know if Revolution is distributed in WI, but if you haven 't tried their Eugene Porter yet, get a sixer. The nice thing is that they come in cans (very travel friendly.) I also really enjoyed their Mad Cow Milk Stout.

10. femdistal

femdistal Disciple (55) Illinois Dec 8, 2010

Head up to Half Acre on Lincoln Ave, they just released Double Daisy Cutter bombers and growlers yesterday, still had quite a few left when I stopped by earlier today.

11. mecummins has the right idea. I second her on the Very Mad Cow. If you stop in the Brewpub or Taproom try their Straightjacket http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22072/72933 Dont have more than one though unless someone else is driving.