1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

What to get in San Antonio?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by jakeox, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jakeox

jakeox Member

Hi Southwest BAs, and greetings from Chicago. My wife is going to be in San Antonio next week for work, and I'm hoping for a little guidance on some beers she might be able to pick up easily while she's there. She's willing to make maybe one stop at a store, and maybe a trip to a local brewpub if the food is worthwhile. Any recommendations on what she should look for? I'm hoping for interesting stuff, not necessarily rare, that I can't get here.

If it were me going I'd be happy to bring down some Chicago treats for trade but she's not exactly excited by the prospect of doing a trade for me in-person. That said, I'm open to setting up trades by mail down the line, and I'm happy to hook up anyone who helps if I can.

Much appreciated.
  2. mhenson42

mhenson42 Member

Freetail - brewpub with good food and a bottle shop with brewery only brews. About 2 miles away is Gabriel's Liquor Superstore which has the best beer selection in town. If she's closer to downtown, Central Market would be the best bet - not downtown, but alot closer than Freetail/Gabriels.
  3. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

Yup. Freetail at loop 1604 and Military. Gabriel's at 1604 and Blanco, and there's a whole foods around the corner. This should cover anything you'd want from San Antonio.
  4. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Member

Not sure on bottle shops, but the food and beverage at Freetail is definitely worthwhile.
  5. jakeox

jakeox Member

Thanks -- glad to hear these two are close together. That will help.

What should she look out for at Gabriel's besides the Jester King stuff that I know a little about? Or should she walk in and ask the beer guy to set her up with whatever is local and awesome?
  6. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

She can ask. Scott, Robert and Augie are all stand up guys and they can help her out. It'll help to if you do some research on your end and let her have some sort of idea on what you're looking for.
  7. mhenson42

mhenson42 Member

Have her ask for Scott (BA - pwsoldier) - he'll hook her up with the good local stuff. And as mentioned above - Auggie and Robert can also give good recommendations.
    bbadger likes this.
  8. jakeox

jakeox Member

This is good stuff -- thanks, everyone. If you need anything that's distro-ed in Chicago, let me know.
  9. squirrely2005

squirrely2005 Member

FaceTime with her while she's there. :p
    Azzy and jakeox like this.
  10. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

Oh, shit. You did it now....
    jaymesbawned likes this.
  11. Lutter

Lutter Member

BCBSBCBSBCBSBCBS!

*remembers he's not in SA*

DOH!

Definitely Gabriel's though. They always have a surprisingly good selection of Jester King's sours (stuff that disappears here in ATX in 2 days stays there for a few weeks) and pretty much everything else you'd want from our state's distro.

I constantly wish they'd build a Gabriel's in South Austin and put a dent in Spec's business.

Looking at Freetail's current bottle list... get her to get ya some bottles of Old Bat Rastard (Old Ale) over there. That's one of their best, IMHO.
  12. jakeox

jakeox Member

Thanks for the recommendations -- good stuff to pass along.

If you want BCBS and are willing to deal with a new trader, drop me a note.

Like I said, totally new trader here, but I'm willing to jump in! I don't have tons of rare stuff, but there's so much good stuff available here.
  13. nate8767

nate8767 Member

They have, it's called Gabriel's San Marcos
    pwsoldier likes this.
  14. mmireles

mmireles Member

But be something new, I graduated from Texas State in 2004 and there was no such place.....
  15. Lutter

Lutter Member

Um. San Marcos is 30 miles south of the Austin city limits.

That's hardly South Austin. It's not even in the same county.

That's like calling Waco "North Austin".

It's pretty new... it's right across from the San Marcos outlets.
  16. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

Fixed.
  17. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

Lol.
  18. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

San Marcos is too far away for anyone nomatter where you are :) You Austinites have plenty of bottle shops. Leave that one for me.
  19. Lutter

Lutter Member

Dude. Take it. Since my girlfriend's graduation from Texas State, San Marcos has been either a place I pass at 75mph on my way to SA or where I pick up discounted shirts on my way back from SA. :D

Used to like going to the Tap Room out there though.
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  20. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

Seekabrew.com

Also, West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago often carries Jester King.
  21. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Member

Yep, keep on moving... Nothing here to see..
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  22. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

I know a majestic albino that lives in San Marcos, so yes nothing to see there.
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  23. videofrog

videofrog Member

Luckily my wife teaches high school in San Marcos and is willing to stop by on her way home to South Austin.:p