1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What type of beer defect could cause this flavor?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beerinmaine, Jan 23, 2013.

1. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Over in the Night Stalker thread there's been a lot of talk of the beer being "infected", but the chief complaints have been a flavor of soy or teriyaki, which are not typical signs of infection as described, for example, here:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/infected-beers.14109/

So, in the abstract and assuming this is not a flavor the brewer desired, what type of defect could cause it?
  2. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Oxidation or an unsanitary bottle maybe.
  3. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Is Night Stalker bottle conditioned?
  4. "Soy sauce" off flavors can sometimes occur when yeast has died (or is decomposing) in the bottle and the beer is basically dying.
  5. Tried Nightstalker a few years ago and it tasted like PVC on the back end, won't be any time soon that I'll buy it again.
  6. jklinck

jklinck Aficionado (245) Washington Jul 23, 2007

I know from homebrewing that leaving beer on the main yeast cake can cause autolysis. But can it becaused by the thin layer that will be present from bottle conditioning?
  7. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Could be the fading flavor of the dry hopping is seen as an off-flavor when combined with the roastiness. Typically people don't age beers with lots of dry hopping.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  8. MikeB20

MikeB20 Aficionado (155) Delaware Aug 30, 2009

That's enough to keep me from being excited. :D
  9. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Autolysed yeast produces glutamates and amino acids, which are the type of compounds that give soy sauce its savory character. So soy sauce character in beer is largely attributed to yeast autolysis.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  10. My wife thinks anything BBA tases like soy sauce
    DevilsCups likes this.
  11. I'm probably due to try it again, maybe it was the batch?