1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What US state has the best breweries?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by imduffman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Colorado
    <<<<<homer
  2. For the masses: CA; for the non-masses: VT; for everyone else: CO, MI, OR.
    7clutch likes this.
  3. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (330) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

San Diego
    hwy395 likes this.
  4. My $0.02. Having been in CA, OR, WA, and CO in the last year, those are all fine states, along with my state of MI. Haven't been to Vermont in a long time, need to get back and check it out.
  5. PADIV

PADIV Disciple (50) Oct 21, 2012

Pennsylvania
  6. Hands down #1 California
    then in no particular order
    Michigan, Colorado, Indiana (mainly because of 3 floyds), New York (southern tier, Brooklyn)
  7. Gotta represent for Kentucky
    BBC, West 6th
    lilnicky068 likes this.
  8. No one's gonna say it?
    The state of Drunkenness!
    Seriously, I wish I was well traveled enough to answer this honestly. I am familiar with mostly North East beers. Pennsylvania has many strong breweries. Start-up breweries are popping up all over the place here. 2 in Bucks County where I live in the past 6 months. It's a great time to love beer.
    Vermont is pretty strong and what the hell no one is gonna say Delaware, but it's tiny and they have Dogfish Head. That's pretty damn good for Delaware.
    All that being said, I would love to try some of the Mid-West beers like 3 Floyds, Goose Island or Bells.
  9. Wahoo84

Wahoo84 Aspirant (25) Tennessee Nov 30, 2012

Montana is my choice. Blackfoot River brewery in Helena. Big Sky in Missoula.
  10. 7clutch

7clutch Aficionado (245) Florida Sep 14, 2012

If it were a competition of top 3-4 breweries from each state, FL would definitely be up there with CCB, Funky Buddha, Peg's/Cycle Brewing and upstart Wakefield Brewing. Here's hoping Funky Buddha's new facility soon allows a wider range of people to enjoy their excellent brews!
    dcs1548 likes this.
  11. Oregon is hard to beat. But what about WA?

Boundary Bay
    Elysian
    Fremont
    Kulshan
    Chuckanut
    Schooner Exact
    Big Al
    Ice Harbor
    checktherhyme and SatlyMalty like this.
  12. California. No other state comes close!
    jrnyc likes this.
  13. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (385) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

Oregon. and it just keeps getting better.
  14. NORTH CAROLINA
  15. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

I feel like this thread devolved into a "Please list your favorite breweries from your own state or region" thread.

I may or may not have done so myself....
  16. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (595) California Dec 15, 2012

As far as city, I agree, the greater San Diego area has some impressive breweries. I don't think any other city can compete.

IMO, Michigan takes the cake, California second.
  17. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

Schlitz in longview closed years ago as did Lone Star in San Antonio. There's always Shiner.
  18. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

CA
    MI
    IN
    Pecan likes this.
  19. Colorado for me personally, because I have access to a lot of their breweries, and no access at all to Michigan breweries or most of Oregon's.
  20. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Echoing others- California and Michigan. I might say Illinois as a third because of Goose Island's still-excellent offerings, but I don't think it beats Oregon or Colorado.
  21. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

New York! We also have the best wine, women and basketball team.
  22. spartanjd

spartanjd Aficionado (120) Illinois Dec 17, 2010

I know it's not a state but within a very very short driving range you can hit up Bells, Founders, Dark Horse, New Holland, 3 Floyds, 2 Brothers, Goose Island, New Glarus and Central Waters. (Lake Michigan Coast) Very hard to beat.
  23. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

It comes down to three states for me, in no particular order: Michigan, California, and Colorado. It is too hard to pick a winner, but I am tempted to say Michigan, because of Founders alone.
    Biffster likes this.
  24. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

You're basically talking about NWI I think. Too bad Gary isn't exactly a desirable location to live..
  25. I was going to mention NC myself. It may not be in the same league as CA/MI/CO, but it's in the running for top 5, if you ask me.

More than anything, I am just thrilled that I can find interesting beers almost everywhere I travel these days.
  26. Don't forget,
    Blue Point
    Sixpoint
    beastmammoth likes this.
  27. BlissJunkie

BlissJunkie Savant (300) Michigan Dec 24, 2007

Alright, I bite on this one. I usually just read BA and don't interact but I feel like Michigan has so many great breweries that get no love. Jolly Pumpkin, Kuhnhenns, Greenbush, Right Brain. I get it, some of those don't have cult followings outside of Michigan. Then you pack in Bell's, Founders, Shorts, Dark Horse and any special beer Arcadia does and I think our beer quality in Michigan, especially considering the size per capita, leaves California with something to think about. Michigan has 3 beers in the top 15 in the world per the new rate beer numbers(to California's 2) and we hold their top 3 beers in the Country (which is almost a moot point because I know all of us know beers we would put over at least one of those 3). So while I agree it's a discussion worth having still, I feel like Michigan isn't quite the underdog that people make it out to be.
  28. Ithica
    AlanArnoldJr and scootsmal like this.
  29. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

If they redrew the state lines to include Chicago and 3 Floyds in Michigan, I'd definitely say Cali has a run for it's money. Like close enough to make me consider wasting time pairing breweries in duels. And making up some fantastic narrative to go along with each battle. I should probably go now.
  30. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

31. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

imduffman:
    any certain breweries out of Oregon?
    Upright, Commons, Laurelwood...
  32. Per Capita, Oregon beats both California, Vermont and Michigan.
  33. Wha?! But...but... :eek: where do Texas size economy Tall Boy cans of Schlitz come from, then?

[​IMG]

Yes, but Pearl is still opened and is "a culinary and cultural destination in San Antonio, Texas". No longer a brewery, of course, but...well, that's something, I guess.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is that Jax is no longer the largest selling, non-Texas brewed beer in the Lone Star state!

[​IMG]

Oh, we get that up North here now...so, grapefruit is apparently an approved "craft" adjunct according to the Brewers Association, I guess? :D Thank goodness it isn't corn or rice (unless it's used to "enhance" flavor, of course!)

;) You should stop by here on the forums more, LAD, we miss ya.​
  34. "Both"? But I'm counting 3 other states there.;)

Not according to the Brewers Association -- for 2011, at least:

"The great state of Vermont tops the list of U.S. state breweries per capita based on the Brewers Association’s count of operating breweries and the 2010 population estimates found at www.census.gov. The fortunate citizens of Vermont have a brewery for every 26,073 people. There are 24 breweries and 625,741 citizens in Vermont. "

But with the number of new breweries coming online lately, I could see Oregon jumping to #1. CA and MI aren't even in the running, based on too much population.
    Pecan likes this.
  35. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Colorado
    Michigan
    California
  36. jnoff78

jnoff78 Disciple (50) Wisconsin Sep 22, 2012

An up and coming Brewery out of Michigan is Odd Side Ales in Grand Haven. They make some interesting but great brews.
    BeerBaronDarren and BlissJunkie like this.
  37. You cant say "What has the best?" and then say, "Well my favorites are..."

You're asking for two different things.

Besides everyone knows its Puerto Rico.
  38. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Not for Nothing, but the three best beers (or my three favorites I should say), I ever had came from three different breweries in VT.
    Alchemist - Heady topper
    Lawsons Finest - Double Sunshine
    Anything from Hill farmstead.
    beernut and Bizoneill like this.
  39. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Maine is in the running on a per capita basis as well, and some wonderful beers.