1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What US state has the best breweries?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by imduffman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. I have not either since I have never been to Boca Raton. Just know of some of the heavily desired beers they make from threads and reviews on here. Hope they bottle one day and maybe can at least get some through trade.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  2. Huntington228

Huntington228 Disciple (65) Apr 15, 2012

California, Michigan...Colorado?

loweball727 likes this.
  3. AndrewSmith

AndrewSmith Savant (340) California Jan 27, 2013

California for sure

4. vader06

vader06 Aficionado (205) Michigan Jan 13, 2011

Michigan. Founders. Bells.

5. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

Michigan

/end thread

6. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

The Murder Mitten

7. terrapinmark

terrapinmark Zealot (85) Ohio Sep 23, 2010

Ohio has some good breweries: Great Lakes, Fatheads, Columbus, Hoppin Frog, Brew Kettle.

Fatheads Headhunter IPA, Columbus IPA, and Brew Kettle White Rajah can stack up with the best of them in this category (IPA/APA)!

8. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

All of this is incorrect.

9. I agree, Fat Head's freankin rocks. Been to the Pittsburgh tap room and resturtant. The Headhunter IPA and the JuJu is by far two of the best beers they make. I will be there again this comin May and plan on smuggling some back to the Southwest where I live. Can't wait!

10. mobius387

mobius387 Savant (385) Florida Dec 5, 2010

i know thats like, your opinion man, but asking to compare a new glarus beer: a brewery known for their fruit beers, german styles, and more session-type, small to medium bodied beers, to KBS, a big barrel aged stout, is asinine. it would be like comparing a mango to a rib-eye steak.

if you think founders blows NG away, then stick to buying their stuff and leave NG on the shelves for me! ill be happy picking both up, since they both make fantastic beer.

And to contribute to the topic at hand:

1. California: hard pressed to find the quantity and quality that the state offers
    2. Vermont: im a sucker for ipas, and HF is the best brewery in the country IMO
    3. Colorado
    4. Michigan
    5. Wisconsin

to be fair, i havent had a whole lot from Oregon other than deschutes

jRocco2021 likes this.
  11. mobius387

mobius387 Savant (385) Florida Dec 5, 2010

put simply: yes. CW has a barrel system that now rivals the best of the best (Fifteen is the #1 rated new beer on this site). Just about everything NG makes is good to great, with only a few flops and has a HUGE volume output (can you name another craft brewery that has more taps than BMC?). O'so is one of the most underrated breweries in the state, and Bourbon night train and Wee on the Lam released this year are very high quality beers. Add in the diversity of almost 100 different breweries in the state, and yes, WI can "hold a candle" to those states you listed.

i tried to add this to above post, but ran out of time to edit!

jRocco2021 likes this.
  12. Heady Topper, Hill Farmstead's army of ipas... ya. you know everything right. pssshhh.

tdt560 likes this.
  13. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I really wish I could say Arizona......

14. Buckyfb

Buckyfb Aspirant (30) Wisconsin Aug 21, 2012

Don't forget Sixpoint

15. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

Michigan. Not just for the heavy hitters, but for all the small brewery's that make this state great.

16. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Vercalichiganado

17. Cant forget O'so or Tyranena!

18. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

..OH (does) have Great Lakes Brewing, which can hold its own against Any brewery (esp. w/ the likes of Nosferatu). - it's also home of the DeathStar. ;P

19. Yes the question was asinine, and your response was well put and what i expected. And honestly, i think we all know all these posts are opinions. You can have all the moon man, and spotted cow you desire sir, i will not be seeking these out to add to my collection any time soon. That was the point i was trying to make. Besides the fingerprint series, the rest of their session beers are not treasures, but rather common bland commodities. They really do not make any bold statements about flavor or have extremely unique elements. I would not turn them down, but simply not seek them out. I agree with a lot of what you said, but NG is not a brewery I would tell people they have to try. Now central waters, they make a loud statement for wisconsin.

20. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

California

21. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (385) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

That's a silly comparison, since New Glarus hasn't jumped onto the Bourbon Barrel Bandwagon.
    They do have some oak barrels for their lambics.
    How are the lambics from Michigan?
    What's that? They're NOWHERE CLOSE to New Glarus's?
    How many people who "hate beer" have you converted using Founders KBS?
    I can name almost a dozen people I've converted to bier with New Glarus Lambics, Pilsners, or Lagers.

I'd take New Glarus "Berliner Weisse" over a KBS ALL DAY, EVERY day (if we're going to make bad analogies). Ditto for "Apple Ale." Michigan can't even hope to come close to Apple Ale.
    Dan Carey knows how to make a sour or fruit brew like no other.
    Capital's Maibock will DESTROY any Maibock from Michigan.
    Sprecher's "Black Bavarian" beats GERMAN Schwarzbiers.
    Lakefront's Oktoberfest is heavenly, as is their Bock.
    Also, keeping to Bourbon barrel biers, I'll take Central Waters "Peruvian Morning" over a Founders.
    Lakefront "Luther" was THE BEST American-made Rauchbier I've EVER had (Followed closely by Black Husky's).
    "Laughing Fox" made me fall in love with weizens all over. Ditto on "Dancing Man" and "Wisconsinite."
    Black Husky's "Sproose Joose" Imperial IPA was such a fun, interesting, and AMAZING brew.
    Don't even get me started on Ale Asylum's "Bedlam!" or "Triple Nova."

Name me a SINGLE Michigan brewery that can come close to Wisconsin Bocks, Oktoberfests, Schwarzbiers, Pilsners, Lagers, or ANYTHING else German. You can't. What's the best Michigan Doppelbock? "Autumnal Fire" will make it look like a Coors.
    You can keep your KBS, and I'll gladly chuckle as I buy my CRATES of Capital Maibock and revel in Teutonic bliss this spring.

Michigan has big name breweries that please the snob crowd. Wisconsin can keep those people happy AND keep a strong German brewing traditional going. The sheer range of Wisconsin craft makes them amazing. A LOT of states make EXCELLENT craft bier. I LOVE Michigan brewers. But, at the end of the day, if I had to be trapped inside any one state, it'd be Wisconsin. I can get ANYTHING I want, done EXCEPTIONALLY well; be it a Bock or some Bourbon Barrel snob brew.

Even more, I can find a Wisconsin brew for ANYONE to fall in love with. The most dyed-in-the-wool "beer haters" I've met have fallen in love with SOME Wisconsin Brew I've recommended. In sheer range and refinement, you can't beat Wisconsin.

The bigger problem is that WI doesn't tend to distribute it's good stuff out of the state, so you don't get the chatter here on BA you'd expect of such quality. Don't let the hype fool you; Wisconsin is a force to be reckoned with....for the last 150+ years.

Also,
    "That was the point i was trying to make. Besides the fingerprint series, the rest of their session beers are not treasures, but rather common bland commodities. They really do not make any bold statements about flavor or have extremely unique elements"
    You're kidding, right?
    Maybe you just lack the palate to appreciate subtlety and refinement. Not a jab, just pointing that out. ANYONE can make an Xtreme bier. Refinement and restraint takes skill.

I really feel bad for you. You honestly think NG are "common bland commodities."
    Wow. LULZ.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  22. San Diego followed closely by California then Michigan

ColdOne and Tballz420 like this.
  23. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

This is a pretty ignorant statement. Also love how you listed Michigan do even know how many brewers from WI work In MI breweries and vice versa?

24. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

if BA only knew what they where missing in Black Husky lol

25. I would second this..
    How many threads exactly have been created with this exact theme, except worded slightly different?

26. California, Michigan, Oregon, Colorado in that order for reasons already mentioned.

North Carolina needs a serious honorable mention though: Foothills, Olde Hickory, Duck Rabbit, Highland, Big Boss, Lonerider, Pisgah, NoDa, Olde Mecklenburg and eventually the East Coast branches of Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Oskar Blues.

27. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

What he said

barleywinefiend likes this.
  28. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (200) Texas Jan 27, 2013

Texas .. #1 in everything. :cool:

MarcusHalberstram likes this.
  29. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

California
    Michigan
    Vermont

brkstoutfiend likes this.
  30. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

You forgot Town Hall and Fitgers. I would even add Brau Brothers and possibly Summit to that list. Their unchained series is the bomb-digity. MN is a great beer state and only getting better!

joelwlcx and feloniousmonk like this.
  31. Colorado, but there's no objective, right answer

32. Chimayred

Chimayred Aspirant (30) Maine Feb 19, 2013

All are good ESP California but you gotta mention Maine!
    Allagash shipyard maine beer co rising tide
    Geary's gritty McDuff's oak pond Sebago brays
    Federal jacks and others…allagash has been
    Rated America's best brewery in at least one survey.

33. California, then Colorado, then Oregon.

34. Michigan, Vermont, California, and Ohio cant be forgotten.

35. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

No question - currantly CA and CO are ahead of the rest by big margin. Then it's on to second tier consisting of WA, PA, MI, OR Etc.

36. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

california or colorado. i feel as if its clear. but by region great lakes region is a sure win for me.

37. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Has anyone said St. Louis Missouri....? Shocking.
    It has to be California and Colorado

38. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

But I don't know why one would really care about breweries-per-capita when answering OP question. Brewery density is almost certainly more important than human density. If you are planning your first brew tour vacation, do you give a flying fart how many breweries there are per capita? Probably not. You care about how many great breweries you can hit in a week.

Skoallrebel likes this.
  39. Well theres the response I was hoping for. I can honestly say i have not had many beers from germany to compare NG to. So i guess throwing them under the bus is irrational until they are given a fair comparrison. I do think wisconsins ability to hold up german tradition is respectable, well put sir. I agree with your statement about peruvian morning, and eternal flame. They are truely great brews. I will have to give NG a further try, they are a bit more subtle as you pointed out, and not meant to be compared to big beers. I guess i was comparing punk rock to jazz. To truely understand music you must learn to appreciate both for what they are, much like beers. I do enjoy the big beers michigan has to offer more though, but its more of a personal taste at the moment, rather than an absolute. With that being said it doesn't make them the best brewing state, but there connot be an honest answer anyways. But as far as brewing tradition, you are correct in saying wisconsin compares to anyone. Thanks for the imput, unfortunately offending people lends itself to better responses.

40. madvike

madvike Aficionado (100) Wisconsin Sep 11, 2009

California
    Oregon
    Illinois