1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What US state has the best breweries?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by imduffman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

Heady's not my favorite and I love making fun of Vermont (it's a popular passtime here in northern NY), but I feel a need to defend here. First they used to make lots of beers before the brewery was destroyed by floods last year. Second, that one beer, despite being rated #1 on the list and being surrounded by hype, can be bought for about half the cost of most of its peers. Kudos to the Alchemist for not cashing in on their fame at our expense.

2. Pure Michigan.

Docrock likes this.
  3. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Yes they are, but they still make BCBS!

4. I suspect the high rating is because of some kind of ballot stuffing because the rating has jumped up a lot lately. although I could be wrong...

5. GRFounder

GRFounder Savant (320) Michigan Jan 25, 2013

Michigan....duh

6. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

Meeechigan

7. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

CA
    MI
    IN
    NY

8. dougfur

It's possible, but I suspect that it has more to do with how *relatively* easy it is to get it. Lot's of people can review it because there's a lot of it out there. They can twice a week, all year long, whereas many of the other highest rated beers are seasonal, or extremely limited. It's also pretty damn good!

9. dougfur

...Though I could too be wrong. I won't pretend to really understand how the BA formula for ratings works...

10. Oregon - Dark Ale beer and stouts
    California - IPA's