1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was your first beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 8, 2013.

1. and how did if shape your first impression of beer?
    The first beer I ever had was a keystone light, lets just say i drank wine coolers for about a year untill i saw the light! Totally the worse beer ever!

2. Kristenagrady

Kristenagrady Zealot (80) Jan 1, 2013

Corona. I loved it. Then I turned 21 and puked up a six pack and hated all beer until about 6 months ago when I tried a pisgah pale ale and realized beer was, in fact, awesome.

creepinjeeper and JohnnyMc like this.
  3. The first beer I ever had was a Bud Light. But the first real beer I had was a Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Ive been on the right track since

4. Probably a Meister Brau, I wasn't of legal drinking age. I don't remember it being good and couldn't understand why he would want to drink it.
    When I turned 21 (living in PA) it was all about Yuengling Lager, which I will still enjoy from time to time.

rodlavers likes this.
  5. T-RO

T-RO Savant (300) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

Miller High Life, 35 years ago.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  6. Budweiser when I was 17 years old. I couldn't believe that people actually chose to drink it.

And no that doesn't mean I was a craft beer guy off the bat. It took me 4 years of drinking Natty Light to see the light.

7. A Budweiser can my grandfather had in the fridge. My cousin convinced me Mexican food was better with beer. I hated it so much, I swore I would never try another beer! We were 14. We got grounded.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  8. Miller Lite. Had a similar reaction to most people here: disgust, but it still tasted better than what the same money would buy me in liquor, so I stuck with it, acquired a taste for it, and learned about craft beer. I started with Spotted Cow and haven't looked back.

9. Coors Banquet Beer. was really really bad.

10. WebGuyMike

WebGuyMike Savant (395) Florida Dec 5, 2012

This but replace Spotted Cow with Petrus Blond.

11. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Savant (345) Georgia Dec 6, 2009

Magic Hat #9 for me. I remember trading for a Budweiser. What the hell was wrong with me?

12. First beer I ever had was probably Hamm's out of a returnable bottle. hated it. I didn't even like beer until I was about 18. Then a friend introduced me to Dead Guy Ale. That sparked my love for craft beer.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  13. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

-Alcoholic dead beat dad convinced me to sip his Budweiser when I was 6. Hated it.
    -Stole a few of my step-grandfather's Coor's Lights when I was 16. OMG BEER IS AWESOME.
    -Went to a party with a keg of Yuengling when I was 19. HOLY SHIT! Beer that doesn't have commercials is even better!

Sierra Nevada when I'm 25. What was that cereal flavored crap I drank before? Eh, who cares? This stuff rocks.

14. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Genesee Cream Ale, stolen from my Dad's supply when I was in High School. That was a long time ago. What a long, strange (fun) trip it's been.

CoolSuds and RobertColianni like this.
  15. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I used to take any beer lying around when I was 4-5 and chug it, so who knows. Back in those days, my dad was a Coors guy, so probably that. I'm serious, they'd tell people coming over "watch your beer, or it'll be gone". Of course, I was a one and done kinda kid back then.

My dad said I always loved the taste of beer.

16. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

My Dad let me have a sip of Busch when I was pretty young, I think I was indifferent to to the taste. By my standards these days it is nothing special but Busch will always have a place in my heart. Growing up in StL, it was the beer I remember "adults" drinking.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  17. i had several micros and definately liked them alright. But to be honest i didn't give a rip about beer, and become a scavenger until i had my first Belgian beer; Duvel.

WebGuyMike likes this.
  18. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Well done, son

Brunite and SkeeterBoganski like this.
  19. It was a Rolling Rock and I kept drinking them like water...oh wait...

20. Wow, that's a bold starting point. Congratulations!

WebGuyMike likes this.
  21. This. Although to be honest with you I think I was 13.

22. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

schmidt's beer... warm... leftover from dad's dinner glass. I was 3 or something. Wonder how I ever got to liking beer!
    (Family in germany helped me appreciate the good stuff that never is exported)

23. Keystone Light. I was at my friend's house and his parents were out for the night. My friend's older sister and her friends had a bottle of Jack Daniels, Zima, and Keystone Light. I remember getting made fun of because I hated the taste of both the Jack and beer, and only drank the Zima.

WebGuyMike likes this.
  24. First one I remember was Beck's on a high school trip to Germany. Tasted skunky as hell back then, probably would love it now if they actually still made it there ...

25. WebGuyMike

Zima...that brings back memories.

RobertColianni likes this.
  26. Had a Little Kings Cream Ale when I was in high school and it tasted like sh*t...I vowed to never drink beer again for the rest of my life. Thank goodness I don't hold grudges.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  27. For sure. Drank a lot of Zima, Mike's Hard Lemonade, and this stuff called DNA:

[​IMG]

28. WebGuyMike

Me and my old roommates always tried to find better tasting shit than beer so Zima, Mikes, Smirnoff Ice, etc... were present during patches of our lives. Great times but I wish I knew then...

29. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

In college (Baltimore), I first had Corona with lime. It was ok and I decided the lime was to make the beer halfway drinkable. Mostly did mixed drinks such as Jack and Coke in college, mainly because I didn't enjoy the taste of BMCs, Keystone Light, Natty Bo.. As soon as I graduated, I moved to Philly and discovered craft beer including DFH- the 90 minute really did it for me and got me obsessed with IPAs which lead me to BA and to trying out all sorts of different beers.

30. PBR long before it was "hipster" beer.

31. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

A Budweiser...from the back of a buddies closet...in Tennessee...in July...I was 15. Ended up puking lasagna all over him later that evening. I fucking hated beer.

32. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

Red Dog...yeah, it's been a while.

Tadloco and WebGuyMike like this.
  33. Well i started off drinking Budweiser and all the stuff, Bud was my favorite beer til I got taken out to this bar that had like 20 or so craft beer choices on tap. I started that night off with a Bud light but then got scolded for that one haha. So then I had a Goose Island Green Line and a Abita Purple Haze and immediately hated Bud after, so those were the first two craft I had and they will always have a place in my heart for getting me into this addiction of trying every new beer I can get my hands on.

34. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

4-5-6 years of age?

Sipping my Grandad's foam from his Strohs. Loved that Bohemian lager as a young'en.

seakayak likes this.
  35. My first sip of beer was a Busch my friend's parents let me try when I was 13 and I hated it. First beer I actually drank the whole can of was a Budweiser or something of the sort that my cousins gave me when I was 15...still hated it. They told me I'd eventually get used to the taste. Then, a month later I tried a Honey Brown...still hated it. Eventually, I drank enough Yuengling, MGD and Miller High Life over the course of my late high school career that, yes, I did get used to the taste but still opted for Tuaca and *shudder* Boons Farm and Mad Dog. Then, when I was 19, my girlfriend convinced me to apply for a job as a host at a local brewpub called Dogfish Head. Had a 60 minute and a Raison, said "this is pretty good!" and the rest is history.

SatlyMalty and HeyJim like this.
  36. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Sober til I was 21. My friends thought a Coors light was a good starter beer. First and only!

37. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Schlitz if you count a swig from Dads bottle...It was all he drank until they changed the formula and it gave him headaches. Carling Black Label and PBR at gramps, then pretty much Miller High Life, the champagne of bottled beers... I remember Piels Real Draft in the little barrel bottle being around a lot. Red Dog was probably the absolute low point...but at least I didn't buy it! I can't remember my first draft, actually.

First craft type beer was Samuel Smiths Tadcaster Porter, probably in my mid- twenties. Eventually, Boston Beer came along.

Always liked beer for the flavor and refreshment, and as much cheap stuff as i pounded in bulk (and paid for in more ways than one) never gave up on it. I do believe the mass produced was better tasting back in the day...plus ignorance was bliss...and I eventually learned quality vs. quantity. I gave up volume guzzling right around turning 21 after a horrendous experience with shots of scotch, cheap beers, a missed opportunity, and a three day room spinning hangover...I can't drink scotch to this day :) That story doubles in the worst beer experience thread!

Hopportunistic likes this.
  38. Probably a Bud or Miller product when I was like 10 years old...couldn't believe people actually drank that stuff without a gun to their heads. I think at that age, I wouldn't have liked any beer but its hard to say.

RochefortChris likes this.
  39. Bitburger when I was 18. I had a German exchange program and while in Germany tried it and liked it. Got me hooked on beer once I was back in the US and turned to Miller Lite and Corona for years until finally trying Berryweiss which was kind of my gateway into craft along with Killians Irish Red.

40. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

First tried Lowenbrau warm poured over ice on New Years eve, 14 years old. Nobody in my family drank beer. I can probably count that as my first vintage also.
    First time drunk were Fosters oil cans at 17. Australian for beer American for puke.