1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was your first beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Yuengling Chesterfield Ale, which my Dad still drinks today at 84.

hoparoundnw2337 and jhartley like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'm older than most guys here, I remember sitting in bars where Schaeffer was .15 a glass, Bud was .20. You could get 6/16's Iron City's for a buck, a case or Rolling Rock ponys' for $3.50. Bud was $1.25 a 6 pk. If we had extra money we went for Michelob or Heineken, Becks, Lowenbrau before it was brewed in the states.

3. One of my dads Budweiser's.

4. Christ, I was about 13 years old. No way I'd remember that.

5. At age 11 after helping my mom load the moving truck I was riding over in the moving truck to the new place with her boyfriend and he let me have one of his Heineken Darks, Needless to say I was pretty useless for the unpacking.

After that various typical American Lager's during High School, but in my Freshman Year of college I used to force my roommate who had a fake ID to go to the Liquor store to buy a 2 New 6 Packs every day. Pretty much by the end of Freshman year went through every Craft and Foreign beer that was distributed into New Hampshire. From there I have tried every craft I can get my hands om

6. I imagine tennents lager when I was about 13. Through the ages of 14-16 or so we used to think San Miguel was the height of beer taste and drank that when at parties and so on. In the pub (if we could get served) though it was whatever lager was on or mcewans 70/80 etc.

I do remember having the tiniest sip of mcewans export when I was about six and my dad laughing at my reaction

7. Not counting sips as a kid it would have been something my father drank. Was close to 45 yrs ago so don't remember. Probably black label , knickerbocker , shlitz ,gansett ,or shaefers. Once I started getting the older kids to buy for me it was Falstaff for yrs.

8. About 60 years ago so forgive me if I can't remember the actual beer, could well have been Bass.My Dad had a half used bottle in the pantry and I took a good swig at it.Probably the only time I've ever drunk from a bottle. My mother couldn't care less that I'd had beer but drinking out of a bottle was unforgiveable , the height of slovenly behaviour and bad manners.I remember her reaction more that I remember the beer except that it blew me away with an incredibly "beery" taste!

9. Molsen Ice or something similar around age 15.

Started seeing the light with a Magic Hat #9 when I was about 20.

Went off the deep end with craft with a Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball when I was about 25.

Homebrewing, trading beers, keeping BA open on my work computer all day and otherwise completely obsessed with beer at age 30.

10. Miller Lite when I was about 24. Had it with a burger if I remember correctly. If my memory serves me correctly, I did not like it. :)

11. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

Old Style. It was the mid sixties and out fishing with Dad and my little brother in Hayward, Wi., cooler had a twelver of Style and two Pepsi's which were gone before the 1st stop so my option was lake water or beer, I chose beer and my brother drank the lake
    I was in the fourth grade, I love fishing and beer

Icarus, incutrav and Onenote81 like this.
  12. Early 1970s Schlitz. I thought it tasted foul.

13. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Meister Brau. My dad gave me a sip when I was a kid.

14. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

I remember taking a sip of my dad or uncle's beer a couple of times when I was younger. Don't remember what kind. I didn't like it. Later, in high school, I went to a party with friends and one of the guys that looked older got a liquor store to sell him a bunch of beer. I think it was Red Dog or Red Wolf LOL. This was in like '94. I haven't even seen that beer around since the 90s.

15. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

Eastside, out of a very cool red labeled bottle. Eastside was an "east side" brewery, here in Los Angeles that closed some time in the sixties, I believe. (I'm guessing at this and didn't take the time to look it up). Eastside was my dad's beer and likely very inexpensive. (We live in Los Angeles and I'm sure it was a decent beer that was cheap, knowing my dad). He drank Eastside until a new beer was advertised all over our black and white television. The ad campagin was huge - like nothing we'd ever seen. The beer was called "Busch Bavarian" and my father then started to drink that; I guess that would have been my second beer since my father always allowed me to drink whatever he was drinking regardless of my age. (Very responsible my father - he was 19 when I was born and my mother told me that he even tried to get me to smoke a cigarette when I was about 3-4! We were actually very close and he was a great dad - we sort of "grew up together.")

Anyway, the bottom line is that I believe that the Eastside facility is now another brewery here in Los Angeles. I'm sure one of the L.A. people can fill this in as I've been so busy I've not kept up with everything happening here in SoCal - we seem to have a new "beer place" every 18 hours, or so.

Bottom bottom line - I actually went on Ebay several years ago and purchased an old six pack (empty bottles) of Eastside. It sat on my credenza in my office until I moved offices a few years ago;....hmmm...now that I've reminded myself I have to go find it and put it out again!

16. my mother cured me of drinking as a teen by, as like a 10 year old, offering me some of my grandfathers 40 of Bud...(yes my grandad did drink 40s of bud pretty often) however to add to the poison that is bud, she(my mother) had let it sit out on the counter and warm up till it was room tem...
    took me till post 21 to want to drink beer again. then more than my body weight in Coors Banquet beer to realize that stuff was water with some food coloring in it.

TL;DR Room temp 40 of Bud.

17. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

Budwieser- Dad never got a beer that didn't have the top taken off.

First full beer- probably age 8 or 9 Old Mil Light, more kids meant Dad was buying cheaper beer.

18. First beer I had was on my 21st birthday and it was a Dead Guy Ale. I fell in love with craft beer at that moment.

19. [​IMG]

I used to reach up on tables and steal swigs of beer at family functions as a toddler. This is was my dad always drank, so I assume it was my first.

20. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Bud light stubby bottle in '99. Still had the bottle around until a couple years ago for some reason. First 'craft' beer was likely Lienes Red or Spotted Cow the following year. Slippery slope since then

21. Sam Adams Boston Lager or Winter Ale was mine. My first craft beer was my friend deciding to give me a Stone Ruination. At the time I had no idea how anyone could possibly drink that.

22. Eastside has an interesting story. It was the brand name of the Los Angeles Brewing Co., which Pabst purchased in the late 1940's and didn't close until the late 1970's (after they bought Blitz-Weinhard, and that became their West Coast facility for a short time). IIRC, they ran it as a wholly-owned subsidiary for a few years, then it was merged into Pabst.

Thus it was one of the first major purchases of a West Coast brewery by a big national brewing company after WWII. Miller, Schlitz, Hamm and Rheingold would follow and AB would build new for their West Coast facility.

Pabst was still marketing Eastside Beer (as well as their other labels, Old Tap Beer and Burgermeister) into the 1970's as their LA area economy brands. The old SF brand Burgermeister (better known as just "Burgie!") bounced around- it was also brewed on the West Coast earlier by Hamm's and Schlitz IIRC.

That brewery is probably best known today in craft circles as the California brewery where Karl Strauss was brewmaster. I used to drive by it occasionally when I drove a delivery vehicle in LA when it was still up and brewing, and by the looks of it the brewery building is still there (1920 N. Main St., Los Angeles, CA) as something called The Brewery Lofts.

vurt and GRG1313 like this.
  23. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

Thank you! I knew someone would help me (us) out on this one!

24. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

My first beer was a can of warm Red Dog, but my first time getting drunk was from Mad Dog 20/20s. That was also the last time I drank a Mad Dog 20/20...

Wolfhead likes this.
  25. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (335) Florida Jan 26, 2012

christ, who knows but i'm pretty sure there was some dinosaur shit floating in it

26. Icarus

Icarus Savant (250) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

First beer for me was when I was 16 and it was Schmidt , in fact I drank lots of that stuff in HS and thought that was what beer was supposed to taste like. I grew wiser as I got older thankfully but here's a cheers to Schmidt!

[​IMG]

Edit: Great thread btw! Reading some of these posts brings back some funny "old school" beer memories of my youth. Stroh's 30 packs were also very popular back in my HS beer drinking days.

27. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

OMG the spins you would get from that flat $2.00 bottle of grape juice

cnbrown313 likes this.
  28. Was checking some old files and found this quote, when Pabst merged LABC into Pabst proper:

“This will mark the first time in brewing history that any single brand of beer has been produced in a chain of breweries spanning the United States from the Atlantic to the Pacific.”
    -----Harry Perlstein, President, Pabst Brewing Co., October 1953.

Pabst at the time had breweries in Milwaukee, Illinois, Newark, NJ and LA. The next year AB opened their LA brewery (after building an east coast one, also in Newark across from the airport, a few years early), so they would become the second US "coast to coast" brewer.​

29. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

The first beer I had would be a Falcon 3.5% (Swedish macro) at 11 years of age I believe, shared it with three buddies of mine during a school lunchbreak. It had an appealing flavor I thought and it made me interested to try beer again (in the adolescent "forbidden fruit" type way), but the chance didn't come up again until I turned 18. My first legal beer would have been Slots guld, a Danish corn adjunct lager at 5.7% (the kind of beer which is smuggled by the truckload into Sweden and sold to those not old enough to buy beer in the monopoly stores) which I thought tasted alright, it reminded me of that first experience when I was 11. I didn't venture into imported ales until I turned 20 and it took me another few years to start drinking American craft beer.
    [​IMG]

30. Looks like the next step is IPAs. Give us an update when you're 30.

31. Not counting the occasional sips from an adult's glass, the first full [actually 1/2] beer I had was a Colt .45 at the age of 15. Nothing like flying high on 8 oz. of beer and tumbling down a flight of steps [unhurt due to the effect of the brew and the young age].

32. First beer for me was Pabst in college, used to get a half a 30-rack for ten bucks every week! As if it isn't already more than reminiscent enough of a brew... First craft brew I ever had was a Magic Hat #9, which still remains among my favorites of the style. Definitely surprised to see such low BA ratings for #9... it's ranked in the same middling spot as PBR is! I must say though, pabst blue ribbon can be a perfect bevvy for anyone, not just hipsters

33. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

Milwaukee's Best.

34. No one told me there was going to be a memory quiz today...

Um, I think the first beer I ever had was a Bud Light.

The first beer I had that I could actually enjoy was a Rolling Rock.

The first beer I had that had actual flavor was a Newcastle.

The first beer that blew my mind open to both flavor potential and the local beer industry was New Holland's Mad Hatter IPA.

and etc...

35. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

HB Blonde from the Huntington Beach Beer company 17 years ago, at 17 years old at my brothers party where he had a keg of it.

First time I ever had a sip of alcohol and had like 7 pints. I puked bile until noon the next day.

36. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Bud Dry. And it was a bit frozen and chunky with ice because it was towards the back of the fridge. I thought that was how beer was supposed to be and of course my friends subsequently made fun of me! :D

37. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

My first beer was a room temperature bottle of Sam Adams' Boston Lager that I had pilfered from my parents' liquor cabinet, when I was 16. It was one of the worst things I've ever willingly consumed, and put me off beer well into my late 20's.

The flip side to that was the beer that brought me back into the fold: Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA followed by Otter Creek's RIS.

38. Icehouse, i was given at a bar I was playing. If you're under age many bars only allow you in to play a show then instantly leave.. But once I carried my guitar and amp in no one asked me to leave and the bartender was giving the bands free icehouse they had to much of.... I wasn't a fan...I drank 3

39. I can't remember the first beer I had, definitely a BMC product when I was 14-15 years old. First craft beer I had was Sierra Nevada PA when I was 15, a freinds brother bought us a sixer of that and Pyramid Hefe...that was almost 20 years ago.

40. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Davenport's. What was their posh Pale Ale called? Top Crown Deluxe?

I hope that's what Dad was drinking. Not the cheap stuff.