1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was your first beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 8, 2013.

1. First beer would be a Fat Tire.

2. dfree23

dfree23 Aficionado (110) Texas Dec 1, 2010

Stroh's

Jimjohson and Bitter_Echo like this.
  3. Molson Export. Early 1970s. Dregs from an almost empty bottle found in a (two four) case of empties in the basement of a friend's house. I was 7.
    Wasn't impressed by the hop profile.

4. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Coors Light. I was 13 or 14 I think. I didn't like and and just kept thinking it tasted randomly "strong" and not sweet. Kind of funny to think about that these days.

5. Cascade77

Cascade77 Aficionado (220) Vermont May 14, 2009

Probably either Beck's, Grolsch or Heineken because that's what my parents drank when I was little. Michelob Light was my first high school age beer and what I drank until senior year when I discovered Pete's Wicked Ale. First legal beer I had (visiting Canada) was Molson XXX at a strip club.

First beer I had when I turned 21 was Guinness. Was at a local dive bar and it was either that or Bud bottles. Should have gone for the Bud since I don't think they had poured a Guinness in months and the beer was nasty. This was a couple years after I was into good beer and at the time Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was my go to beer.

6. Stealing a sip off the ol'mans schlitz draft at the age of about 9.

7. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

My first beer was a Killian's from my roommate's fridge sophomore year of college. It was bitter and gross at that point, but a few months later I was drinking it like a fish. Killian's was also my first legal beer at a shitty dive bar in Ithaca.

Now, trying to remember my first craft beer would be an immense challenge...

8. you got extremely lucky. That is an unusual first beer to say the least.

9. My dad brewed beer since before I was born and we always had craft in the house. I was very lucky to say the least. Every year growing up we would do a brewery tour down the WA, OR and Northern California coast, so I had been to the Rogue brewery tons of times. Dead Guy just seemed fitting.

10. I rest my case ;).

checktherhyme likes this.
  11. Budvar in Prague, September 2007. I was a teetotaler until age 40, believe it or not!

12. Budweiser for me. First craft beer was probably a Great Lakes.

13. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Bass Pale Ale. I recall saying, "Bass tastes like ass". Then I had my friend's Guinness. Much better for a first beer.

14. Proabably Yuengling/Porter I snuck at my Grandfather's house back in the seventies. I thought it was nasty way back then. I learned to drink beer with Budweiser and Coors in high school. Spanish Peaks/Black Dog Ale was one of the first craft brews that I remember having back in the early nineties.

15. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

That was a good 2-3 years ago. I've had plenty of IPAs and imperial stouts and barleywines at this point.

16. The Champange of Beers , 15, and it was warm , drank it all and man it was good , at least thats what I told my friends who were with me , Im pretty sure they thought it was as disgusting as I did

17. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Genny Light. Hot out of a pitcher at a softball game. 7 years old. Hated it.

18. The 1st beer that I remember having was Schlitz Dark on draft. I was 15 and working @ Hardees and my alcoholic Manager would take myself and two buddies across the street to Pizza Inn and feed us pitchers of this brown goodness before we went into work. Not sure of his motive, perhaps just someones to drink with (I know he never grabbed my ass or crotch). This was 40 years ago when the legal drinking age was 18. I tend to believe that that's why I have such an affinity to dark beers to this day. Cheers

19. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Either Strohs or Schlitz, but can't quite dredge up the right one for certain. Tasted like schlitz and almost gave me a strohk at a young age. Turned the switch to 'off' for some longish time. Yikes!

20. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Good old Natty Ice "barf". Drank Captn n coke for years untill about two years ago. My eye opener was a Magic Hat Wacko Summer Ale.

21. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

Probably a Miller Lite stolen from the old man. The first "craft" would have been #9 or Harpoon IPA.

22. carterIPA

carterIPA Initiate (20) Oct 27, 2012

my first beer was bud light and hated it, But it all changed a year later when i grew a craft beer love and i have never looked back.

23. Tequiza! Thankfully times have changed. And Im with the OP cuz we just got wine coolers for a while after that.

24. joeseppy

joeseppy Savant (285) Illinois Oct 20, 2012

Parents got a picture of a young me sipping out of a Meister Brau can, but my first full beer was an Old Style from my dad's stash.

25. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

A Coors. 32 years ago. My friend and I were each given a can from our dads on a day at the lake. Our mothers were not too happy with them either. I thought it was great. Drank every drop and fell asleep by the camp fire when the sun went down.

26. This one
    [​IMG]
    Had my first sip of beer back in the 70's from my Dad's Friday nite pour when having a beer with dinner was a big thing , It took awhile to find this beer which is no longer made , brost

27. Bud Light, I wasn't impressed and didn't try any more beer for a while. The only good thing was that I developed my love for whiskey in between Bud Light and finally trying real beers.

28. It's not a brewery, but a brewpub called Barbara's At The Brewery.

http://www.barbarasatthebrewery.com/

29. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (325) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

Hamm's, I grew up in Chicago and a good friend of mine had a pool table in his basement, and his dad had a fridge that had nothing but Hamm's in it - dbl stacked on each shelf. I was a bit too young to drink back then, but my buddy and I felt like Grown Men shooting pool and slamming a Hamm's (and hiding the unfinished can between slurps) back in the day. May not have tasted great, but great memories for sure :)

30. 86 Thomas Hardy. My dad shared some with me on my 13th BDay (I was born in 86). I remember thinking it was the most disgusting thing I'd ever tasted and made a move to spit it out. He said something about slapping me if I did and to man up, lol. Pretty much ruined beer for me for quite some time.

31. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

MGD!
    It had alcohol. That was enough for me!

32. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Probably Lilttle Kings or Genesee. But I quicky moved to Mickey's. Oh god, what bad memories and pukes.

33. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

My first beer would have been a pony Miller or Bud bottle or something with the cool kids on my block, but my first memorable beer was Erlanger.
    It was different than the other crap out there in early 80's.

34. Bud...man was that a fun night.

35. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Zealot (80) Georgia Dec 26, 2012

When I was 6 stealing drinks of my Grandfather's Wiedemann. I got about half that sucker before my Mom caught me. Switch city.

36. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

My neighbor's Dad's Little Kings Cream Ale.

Jimjohson likes this.
  37. mverity

mverity Savant (405) Florida Oct 6, 2012

First ever beer I surely don't remember. My parents used to give me a sip or two of their wine/beer when I was around 7-12. The first time I got drunk, my friends and I were drinking Bud from a can, and Chambord. Great combo huh?

38. I was probably 5 at the time, I asked my dad for a sip of a Red Dog and he didn't hesitate lol I ran up the stairs and spit it out so fast... I will never forget that lol And I have never had a red dog neither really enjoyed bud lights etc

39. Molson Golden.

40. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Genesee Cream Ale when I was about 14-15. I hated it, and that's probably why I always tried to find the best beers possible... even in high school when I couldn't afford much.

thecraftculture likes this.