1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was your first beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 8, 2013.

1. hopfred

hopfred Disciple (55) Massachusetts Mar 22, 2010

Piel's...out of my Dad's glass, when I was a wee lad...he bought because it was then brewed locally in Chicopee, Mass. (Willamansett), in the old Hampden Ale brewery.....

2. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Somebody else's. Pretty sure we didn't check the label.

3. beefmental

beefmental Aficionado (215) Iowa May 26, 2005

My first taste of a beer was Grain Belt when I was 5 or 6 years old at a family picnic. I thought it tasted awful but I was amused at how goofy my grandpa, dad, and uncles acted after drinking many cans of this magical beverage.

My first full beer was in high school and most likely PBR or Schlitz - whatever a small town Iowa bar had on tap in the late 70’s. I still can’t believe they served me. I looked nowhere near the legal age of 19.

4. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (335) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

George Killian's Irish Red when I was 18. Was able to finish it but didn't enjoy it by any means. So glad my perception towards beer has grown so much since then...

5. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

Tried sips of my fathers beers as a kid, most likely Schlitz. My first actual full beer, (not a sip), was Guinness. I didn't try any of the BMC beers till well into my 20's.

6. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (540) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

I don't remember, but I do remember going to a beer store on the day I had turned 21 and buying a bunch of random craft and import bottles that I thought looked/sounded cool, including Ridgeway Lump of Coal, a couple of Unibroue beers, and at least one Rogue bottle. The Blanche du Bruxelles made me decide I liked wheat beers, and I remember liking Rogue Chocolate Stout a lot too. Lump of Coal was (and remains) pretty awful.

7. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (350) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Meister Brau...why my dad had that in the fridge back then, I have no idea...o_O

8. Cant really remember the first beer I ever had, but im sure it was Bud or some other macro. The first beer I ever fell in love with was Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout that I bought ice cold after a Dead show many many years ago.

9. Rolling Rock. Because that's what dad drank.

10. BS-

BS- Aficionado (125) Singapore Sep 1, 2012

I think the first beer I ever had was a Guinness Stout when I was 3-4. To me, anything in a can was a soft drink, so I apparently downed the whole thing (my dad's friend only took a sip). According to my mum, I fell off my bed thrice that night without waking up.

I had my share of Tigers and Heinekens (Tiger's a local brew for me) until I had a taste of Paulaner's Dunkel Hefeweizen and finally a Chimay Blue that was my red pill out of the Matrix. There's no going back.

Sorry if I'm not entirely coherent. Just got back from a Magic Hat launch party thing.

11. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

Milwaukee's Beast, might have been Beast Ice (shudder at the thought). It was college, I came from a non-drinking family, didn't know any better.

12. First beer overall was Heineken for me. My first impression of beer was that it was not bad, maybe just a bit too bitter for my taste. Never really fell in love with "beer" until I discovered hefes.

13. Either Bud Ice or Budweiser, I don't quite remember. When I was around the age of 12 I would constantly bother one of my grandfather's friends until he gave me a drink of his Bud Ice. It always worked, And I always made the same " Bleh " face after taking the drink.

14. My first taste of beer was Honey Brown. My dad gave me a sip of his and I swore I would never drink beer. My first drinking experience was with a delightful lager known as ...

[​IMG]

15. Ha, my dad used to sneak me sips of his Busch or Busch Light when I was a little kid too, so yeah - I have that same nostalgia for it.

But my actual first full beer: Milwaukee's Best Light (beast) when I was 14 visiting my older brother in college.

16. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (365) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Like so many others, Budwieser that my friends older brother bought for me and 4 friends. We split a case of 20. It was more than enough. We were 15.

17. Schaefer is the....one beer to have.. when your sneaking your 1st at 14.

18. shigg85

shigg85 Savant (485) Japan Jan 31, 2012

Guinness at 22. Loved it right from the start. I'm one of those lame ones that waited until AFTER the legal drinking age. But i've definitely made up for time. I'm approaching my 500th different brew soon!

19. 2 budweisers and a Bad Frog. Haha! Who remembers that beer? "Flip the bird get a frog" lol!

20. Fosters.......... Literally my only drain pour

21. Alexander Keith's "India Pale Ale". And I didn't go near another IPA for about 8 years afterwards. Wonder why. :confused:

22. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Schmidt

23. Newcastle Brown Ale. Still love it to this day.

24. Most folks who have been in enough bars have probably heard someone say, "Yeah, I remember my first beer, too" as a sarcastic and snide observation of someone else's drunken buffoonery. But do you remember your very first beer ? I'm 42 now and I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 5 years old, and sitting on my Dad's lap as we watched tv. He was drinking a very cold bottle of PBR and asked if I wanted a sip. (These days, someone would probably call Child Protective Services for such a blatant act of warmth, bonding, and sharing between father and son !). It was refreshing, delicious, and I had an instant epiphany, and looked forward to enjoying sips of numerous beers throughout my childhood, and couldn't wait until I was old enough to enjoy my very own bottle. Of course that happened later, but that's another story.

hoparoundnw2337 likes this.
  25. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

I guess technically my first story was similar to yours and I think it was also with PBR, but not 100%. I always bugged my mom to try food or beverage she was having. She gave me a drink when I was 9 or so. I realized then beer was disgusting and I shouldn't ask for it anymore. PBR is still one beer I refuse to drink and always have. If only BCBS existed in 1990....

Hopportunistic likes this.
  26. I didn't drink in high school, but I was spoiled as my first beer in college was Corona as opposed to the usual Natty Lite, Keystone, etc selections most people drink. I enjoyed it, and I still do on occasion in the summer.

27. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

My first was Budweiser when I was 11.

Hopportunistic and tectactoe like this.
  28. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Bud Light.

No regrets.

29. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I don't remember 100%, but knowing my pops beer habits through out my life, I can guarantee it was either Natural Light or Busch light.

I also remember him being down with the DOG!

[​IMG]

30. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

No I do not remember it, I know my dad let us taste anything once. I do know I hated domestic beer then and still do. That said I drank it when I wanted a buzz and there was nothing else.;)
    Navy supplied beer is usually 1 choice or 2 top and when i was in craft was not even though of yet here.

31. Is Red Dog beer still made ? I haven't seen that in years.

32. klinger

klinger Aficionado (180) Ohio Oct 9, 2012

Yuengling. Growing up near Pottsville, PA, what else was there?

33. Bud (not BUD LIGHT!) is my "desert island" beer. Most people either love it or hate it, but I consider it more of a "food group" than a beer. Pretty much the standard comparison point for a lot of beers, and consistent no matter where you buy it.

34. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Haha I had this a bunch in my late teens. I couldnt tell the difference between that and Bud.

35. Yeungling is good stuff. When I lived in SC years ago, you couldn't get it, and I would always bring back a few cases when visiting relatives in Lancaster, PA. My friends and I plowed through the cases pretty fast.

36. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Like others, my Dad gave me a sip of his beer once or twice that I recall when I was very young, but I don't really count that as my first beer. A skunked Moosehead that I "stole" from my parents bar that had probably been sitting in the fridge for 4+ years, was what I consider my first. I think I was probably 13-14. It was awful, but I don't think you are supposed to age Moosehead. Don't think I've had a Moosehead since and I don't plan on it.

37. Well, Canadian air is cold and fresh, so I suppose their beers should be enjoyed the same way. I remember Moosehead being considered "exotic" when I was in college. On a side note, I also remember Labatt's Blue Light (another Canadian beer) being the "prize" for whoever caught the least/smallest fish during family fishing trips. The winners drank Bud or Heineken.

38. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (480) California Nov 10, 2006

When I was a kid, my Dad drank Brew 102 in tall cans. Who remembers this?

I think I was about 10 and started asking him questions about beer. He offered me a drink and I thought it was strange but kinda liked it. From then on, I always asked him for a drink. He obliged only when Mom wasnt watching.
    [​IMG]

39. Hmm...I don't remember that one. I love the fine print at the bottom of the can : "Perfected after 101 brews". Hilarious ! I wonder what the tasting notes for attempt # 27 were. Probably something like, "A cloudy, unnerving offering, with notes of witch hazel, margarine, and Aqua Velva. Back to the drawing board..." :)

Siggy125 likes this.
  40. broodog

broodog Savant (360) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

My first unsupervised beer, I remember well. Except it technically wasn't a "beer". Mickey's Malt Liquor. Drank from those weird glass barrels.