1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was your first beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Mine was Blatz @ 16 with Dad while grilling. I think that is how its spelled. Does it still exist back in the midwest?

Hopportunistic likes this.
  2. Ah, Mickey's Big Mouth ! I know them well. In fact, I still have an empty on my dresser that I use for spare change. Arguably a better use for the bottle !!

3. There used to be a lot of Blatz beer around, but I haven't seen any in decades. They were another Milwaukee, WI brewer started by German immigrants.

4. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

My first full beer was Boston Lager when I split a 12 pack with a few friends in high school. Of course, we also split a 30 rack of Busch Light that night as well. Even at 17 I knew there was a difference between cheap beer for getting shitty and good beer for enjoying and to this day I still keep some cheap beer on hand for this very reason.

5. Funny what you remember... I remember the can well. Whiteish silver with the brown logo. A great thread...

6. Thanks ! My first day here. What took me so long ? ;)

7. vader06

vader06 Aficionado (215) Michigan Jan 13, 2011

I was 5 years old when I had my first taste of beer. Being real young it was PBR and I thought it tasted real bad. I remember thinking at the time why would anybody drink the stuff. Tastes change of course and PBR is not a bad beer but not a favorite.

8. I think it was a Busch, but it might have been a Busch Light. Followed that up with a Milwaukee's Best a few days later. What a start!

9. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

MGD...i think i was 10 or 11 years old....first impression was "YUM"....i think.....

10. Pabst bought local rival Blatz in the late 1950's, but the Feds made them sell it off over anti-trust concerns. The brand was eventually bought by Heileman in the late '60's, as one of that company's early big brand acquisition on their way to becoming a national player and "Big 6" brewing company. Heileman even named the "microbrewery" they built in Milwaukee in the 1980's after Val Blatz (that facility is now Leinenkugel's second brewery).

Blatz is now back in the Pabst portfolio (after buying most of the Heileman/Stroh collection in '99 when Stroh threw in the bartowel), brewed by Miller and apparently reduced to being a local Great Lakes regionally distributed brand.

11. Yeah, I imagine that a lot of regional midwestern (and probably elsewhere, too) breweries that went under were later consolidated and absorbed into the "big guys" who survived. The same thing has happened in the glass bottle industry in this country.

12. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (390) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

I have no idea it was a long time ago in a beer world far far away. I can say for a fact it was a light lager probably knowing my dads preferences it was an Old Style.

13. i tried bud light about three or four times before i finished a whole can of it. first craft beer i had was dfh punkin and i never looked back.

14. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

BMC like most, probably in 1998-99, 8th or 9th grade. First beer to get me into craft, Blue Moon in 2005.

15. As a small child I tried my friends dads warm Schaefer. Just the smell was enough to make me hate beer at 10. My first real beer was a Michelob in high school and it was not good but not horrible. Before that it was gin and tonic. After the Michelob the beer went down hill for a while and I found good beer on a trip to England in 1986. That started my beer love and I have never looked back. It was hard to find good beer back then. I ended up drinking lots of porters. Khyber always had good beer , Copa too with Tom Peters and then Sugar moms opened and Philly became a great beer city really fast.

Enjoy

16. I cut my hands on those rip open tops more than once. Still made but it has a twist off top now.

Enjoy

17. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

[​IMG]
    I have two older brothers that are into craft beer so I never had to suffer through a BMC phase. Still one of my favorites.

BetterBeerPlz and Hopportunistic like this.
  18. Disregarding my fear of sounding like a tool: Chimay Red. My father, presumably a little drunk at a party, wanted me to know good beer before friends and college ruined me with Rolling Rock and 40s. The beauty might have been lost on 16 yr old me, but the seed was effectively planted.

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  19. Can't remember if it was Farsons Cisk Lager, or Farsons Traditional Shandy sometime in the 80's when visiting Malta with my parents.

20. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Michelob Golden Light

21. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

old style when i was like 6. ribbed can an all

22. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

Thanks for the info on Blatz. A buddy of mine's parents used to drink that like fish, their beer fridge was always stocked full of Blatz bottles. We used to drink it when our swill (High life, Special Export, Schmidt, Stroh's etc..) ran out. We used to call it Blatz splatz and tease his parents that you got a free roll of toilet paper with every case purchased. Fun times.

23. My first beer encounter was a Keg stand. I couldn't tell you what that nasty beer was. If i were to guess, i'd say Nati Lite.

24. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

First beer was coors light. It was my "go to" beer for quite some time. I definitely don't enjoy it anymore, but my love for it made me wanna try new beers, and I'm glad I did!

25. Bud Light. Didn't like it. Didn't hate it. Probably because it doesn't taste like anything.

JohnnyMc and Hopportunistic like this.
  26. My first beer was a Budweiser, its all my dad drinks so yeah...

As far as craft goes it was a GI Green Line, thats the beer that got me started down this craft beer road.

And for the whole Blatz discussion, Im pretty sure thats what I got at this concert venue for $2(which for a beer at a concert venue is a pretty nice price) sometime early last year.

27. MattXT

MattXT Advocate (660) Massachusetts Nov 23, 2010

Pretty sure my first one was a Bud Light pilfered from my dad's stash around 14 or 15. I think I expected it to be worse than it actually was.

28. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Probably Miller High Life from a can on the deck of my Dad's boat fishing in the Gulf of Mexico around 1964 or 65. Great stuff with a ham sandwich eaten from a hand that smelled like bait.

29. One of these I am sure..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

30. me too,,,,,,,,39 years ago.

31. I think it was Rolling Rock when I almost turned 21. I remember drinking an arrogant bastard not too soon after and I thought it tasted like shit.

32. Ah, Hamm's !!! From the land of sky blue waters !!! I used to love their animated commercials with the beer drinking bear.

Icarus likes this.
  33. I actually liked Rolling Rock before they were swallowed by the evil conglomerate. I miss the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe... "33" !!!!

34. That's for sure. (Actually, it's the runoff from the production of regular Budweiser, but don't tell the zillions of Americans who buy that stuff, as the InBev board of directors are laughing all the way to the bank, while Adolphus Busch rotates in his grave like a chicken on a rotisserie.)

35. Miller High Life : "The Champagne of Beers". I wonder what the "Beer of Champagnes" tastes like...

36. Natural Light at a lame college party in a dorm at UMD

37. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

Ommegang Three Philosophers. Always have a bottle in my fridge!

38. That was your first beer ? Wow. Few people are so lucky !