What was your first beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 8, 2013.

1. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

I would say my first real beer...

2. First beer - Schaefer or maybe a Knickerbocker...it was so long ago!
    First legal beer - Michelob in '79.
    First beer that made me say wow - Pilsner Urquell in early 80's while in college.
    First "must have" beer - Coors! :confused: It was early 80's and was not available in CT but we went to NJ to get!
    First "craft" beer - Sam Adams in a bar in Boston with Jim Koch when he was going bar to bar trying to sell it!

QuakeAttack and Hopportunistic like this.
  3. jdauria, are you from NY ? The reason I ask is that in addition to PBR, my Dad also drank a lot of Schaefer and Genessee when I was growing up in upstate NY and they were both regional beers. You mentioned Knickerbocker, too, which I believe was also a NY beer.

4. lucasj82

lucasj82 Champion (870) Indiana Aug 13, 2009 Verified

Little Kings. I pounded 4 when I was 13, got drunk, and then sick.

I liked beer and the buzz right away which lead to binge drinking at a young age. I really just looked at beer as a way to get drunk until I was about 24 and started hanging out with a buddy that drank good beer.

Hopportunistic likes this.
  5. BILF

BILF Advocate (725) Israel Jan 9, 2010

Stolen homebrew (stout), from my mate's old man's stash under the house age 13.

6. Don't remember which, but it was either a Boddington's, Bud Light or Sam Adams Boston Lager. I took sips of all three that night and found each one to be way too bitter. This was during Superbowl XXXII, Broncos vs. Packers. I was 12 years old.

7. I work with people that worship that stuff. A co-worker and I went to a package store on break one time. He grabbed two 30 racks of that for him and his buddies later on. I bought a bottle of 50/50 Eclipse, a 4 pack of BCBS and a Firestone Walker Double DBA. His face literally dropped when my total was rung up. He told people at work when we got back how much I spent, and everyone said what a waste of money that is. That the point of beer is to get smashed quickly. Haters gonna hate.

8. A yuengling. Pretty good starting point, followed by an Oaked Arrogant Bastard. I swore it was the worst beer ever made!! Come to find out a few years later it is actually awesome once I got into craft beers.

9. My dad has told me the Coors and Sam Adams stories before. He said that people use to travel to Colorado to buy cases much like people traveling to the Alchemist for Heady Topper now. He also told me about trying Sam Adams for the first time and having nothing like that before. Pretty crazy considering the variety of beers available now.

10. Well, now that I'm a little older and with *slightly* more money in my pocket, I will gladly spend the extra coin for the good stuff. Like many people, I have quaffed and quaffed buckets of swill into the wee hours on more occasions than there are stars in the sky, but these days, I'm after flavor, and more specifically the ultimate hop experience.

jwheeler87 likes this.
  11. No, I grew up in New Haven, CT which while in New England was definitely in the New York beer advertising market! After all, according to every Yankee game on WPIX 11 back then, "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you are having more than one!" :) Only local beer we had was Hull's from New Haven, but believe that was on it's last legs by time I was old enough to drink.

12. Ah, I see. Well you were certainly well within the advertising range. And double kudos to you for listening to Yankee games ! :D

13. 35 years ago. Schlitz. 'Nuff said.

14. rodrot

rodrot Savant (365) North Carolina Sep 14, 2003

My first beer was a Heineken at Miami Beach in 1980. I was 12 years old. Didn't care for it at all but thought it was cool since my dad let me share it with him.

15. avalonct

avalonct Aficionado (215) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

My Dad let me have a few sips of his Old Style while sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley when I was about 15 years old. Those were the good old days when tickets were 5 bucks and beer was 2.

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  16. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (550) California Sep 13, 2009

My first craft brew was around 18 or 19, Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout, oh yeah!

17. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (400) Texas Nov 19, 2012

Corona Extra when I was 12 years old lol

It was just a one time thing, I didn't really "start" drinking till I was around 18.

18. StoutChaser7D

StoutChaser7D Savant (250) California Nov 16, 2012 Verified

Good Ol' Corona... with Lime. Thought it was great for those 100+ Cali days. Then I tried one of those Green Label beers that were in the fridge a year or so later... SN PA still has a special place for me.

19. The first beer I ever had was a Yuengling Black and Tan when I was 22. I'm pretty sure that I tasted a Killian's Irish Red my dad had when I was a little one, but that's just a taste.

20. 16 years old, Mississippi Mud

21. Nice. Black & Tan, Southern style !

Jordan3394 likes this.
  22. GR_Rick

GR_Rick Aficionado (230) Michigan Jul 14, 2012

Cool thread and cool stories. Love reading them and hearing the recollection of good (or not so good) memories.

For me, not counting the occasional sip of my dad's Stroh's, was a Heineken. Other memorable ones include Killian's on my 21st birthday (I remember it being.. meh), and a Newcastle at a BW3 shortly after that (the beer that really got me into exploring "craft" beer). Then I went to Blue Moon, then finally found the first "real" craft beer I loved - Founder's Dirty Bastard. Not a huge D.B. fan today, but still do enjoy them occasionally for the nostalgia (and love the Backwoods Bastard). Cheers!

23. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Bud, but i didnt know any better at the time...CHEERS

24. One of the earlier beers that i've also had. A buddy of mine from the east coast brought some over from a trip in the east coast.

25. The creme' de la creme that is Busch...snagged it from my grandfather when i was like 6 and drank half of it b4 he noticed, much to the chagrin of my parents im sure.

Thank god ive moved up the beer ladder as i will no longer drink any beer out of a can that is made by bud, coors, miller etc. First halfway decent beer was a petes wicked when i was 16...which, at the time, was considered a "craft beer" (early 90s were not a great time for these).

26. My dad's Olympia when I was 9. Gross.

27. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (245) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

First beer was shortly after arriving in Germany after joining the Army out of high school. It was a Park Pirminator. Didn't have much to compare it too since I didn't drink before this. After drinking nothing but beer from overseas for over a year I do remember coming back to the states and being disappointed when trying my first Budwieser.

28. spartan1979

spartan1979 Advocate (505) Missouri Dec 29, 2005 Verified Subscriber

My first beer was probably Meister Brau. That's what my Dad drank. At least until Miller bought out that brewery.

29. gueuzegeek

gueuzegeek Savant (330) New Jersey Aug 11, 2003

My first was also a taste of my dad's beer, but it was sooooo long ago, that I could not even guess what it was, but for the time, he was pretty much an original beer geek. I actually liked the taste of beer even back then, because if we went and got him a beer and opened it for him, we were allowed to take the first sip! :D

30. I saw Bob Moog demonstrate a synthesizer at Magic Mountain in Valencia in the 70s when I was about 7 or 8. I liked beer then, too. ;)

31. When I was six-ish had a sip of one, and I believe (from what I remember of the smell) it was a Budweiser.

Second was a bottle of Shipyard I stole from the fridge after a party, and for some reason decided to pour into a water bottle and hide before drinking (it made sense back then because young people are stupid). By the time I tried it, it was totally flat. It was also not on the same day that it was poured, so you can imagine the nastiness.

First time I really drank a beer the "proper" way (full bottles, and not left sitting in a water bottle for a few days) it was Corona.

Christ it's a wonder I didn't give up on beer.

32. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Advocate (505) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012 Verified

The first beer I ever had was a Yuengling lager. I just turned 21 (correct. I didn't drink until then). I was playing Mario Kart and lost, so I had to chug a beer. I never tasted beer at all before that point. I chugged it; I threw it up immediately. For a couple years after that I would only drink liquor because beer made me ill. Thankfully I grew out of it!

33. I remember my first beer was a schlitz I shared with my grandfather during a fishing trip.
    It was pretty cool at the time...

34. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

First beer: Stella Artois on a riverboat cruise on the Rhine River in southern Germany (I was 10)
    First legal (in Germany): Hofbrau Original at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, Germany (I was 16)
    First legal (in 'Murica): Sam Adams Chocolate Bock (I was 21)

35. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (430) Maryland Jan 19, 2013 Verified

My first beer was an Icehouse when I was 15. I drank 4 of them and got sick. Such a lightweight...

36. Probably a Budweiser givin to me when I was around 10 by my brother in law. First beer I remember liking was a Black Butte Porter my dad gave me when I was like 14 or 15. It's a bummer, my dad quit drinking a few years before I started. I remember Chimay chalices, Unibroue and bottles of Arrogant Bastard. We would've made good beer buddies today.

37. i grew up 10 minutes from an anheuser busch plant, so budweiser of course, when i was really young.

38. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (480) Illinois Apr 27, 2012 Verified

First beer was probably stealing sips of my dads Zywiec. First craft was 312

39. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

My first taste of beer, just out of curiosity when I was about 16, was a sip of my dad's Coors Light that had been sitting in the sun while we were golfing. It tasted like ass.

My first beer with a purpose (as in to get a buzz), was a Bud Light out of a keg at my first night at college.

My first taste of craft beer was O'Dell's IPA. I thought it was horrendous.

My first taste of craft beer with an open mind and willingness to learn was the IPA from my local brewery, Indian Paintbrush Ale from Black Tooth Brewing Co. It was still too bitter for me at the time, but I was surprised that I kinda liked it. Now I consider that beer to be a fairly mild refreshing IPA.

The first beer that I fell in love with was a Baltic Porter from the same brewery.

40. I watched the MOOG documentary the other day about how he would demonstrate the synthesizer everywhere. I had no idea that six flags magic mountain existed in the 70's and that he demonstrated the synth there.