1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was your first beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Unfortunately, mine was Steel Reserve. I was repulsed by beer but then began to try some different ones along the road and it has developed into my favorite beverage. I never drink liquor.
  2. Miller Lite when i was like 15 years old. drank so much of it i yaked it all up.... good times.
  3. KelsoSaaz

KelsoSaaz Savant (255) Connecticut Jan 24, 2013

My first post, so this is an appropriate thread.
    First beer: My dad's Natty Ice
    First good beer: Bass Pale Ale
    First beer that "wowed" me: Pilsner Urquell
    First "craft" beer: Long Trail Ale
  4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (325) California Mar 19, 2012

Oh, oh, can I play? I'm going to use your categories:

• First Beer - Michelob (Dad let me try) or Bud (where I worked at 15 during the summers).
    • First Legal Beer - Dam. I don't remember exactly, but since it was at a college dive bar, I would say probably Bud or Michelob.
    • First Beer that made met say wow - We got a small keg of Spaten Optimizer in my junior year in college (mid-80s). Double wow. When I did the backup through Europe after college (86'), I remember the ESBs from England and Augustine in Munich (pilsner and doublebock). The biggest suprise was getting drunk at the park next to the Eifel Tower on Carlsbad. Carlsbad is good stuff.
    • First "must have" beer - Any SN in the late 80s. My girlfriend (know my wife) and I would buy a six pack each of SN Pale Ale, Port, and Stout. I also was on A Watney's kick after coming back from England.
    • First "craft" beer - Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams.
    I get a tear in my eye how far this country has come from the 80s!
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  5. You weren't worthy (yet).
  6. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I can't tell you how many times in college I've mumbled "I remember my first beer" to a wasted 95 pound freshman girl. But this thread made me realize something... I don't remember my first beer.

I feel like such a bully. If any of you drunk sluts are reading this - I'm sorry I said that I remembered my first beer. I don't.
    Hopportunistic likes this.
  7. I can't remember but I think it was Budweiser. I thought it tasted really weird but not too bad.

However, the two beers that got me into drinking craft beer was Rogue: Dead Guy Ale and Samuel Adams: Boston Lager on draft. I was blown away by both beers, especially Sam Adams on draft. I couldn't believe how good they were compared to the crappy lagers I've been drinking for years. :)
  8. First craft was punk ipa
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  9. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

There is a photo of me somewhere on my parents house which shows me being maybe 4-5 years old, holding a bottle of Amstel and being really happy about it. Probably they gave me some to try too afterwards.. or they had already gave me.
    The first I have memories of, was Amstel again when I was 15-16 and back then it was either Amstel or Heineken and Heineken it was too expensive when you still went out on a allowance from your parents. :rolleyes:
  10. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Michelob, 1981.
  11. tjsdomer2

tjsdomer2 Savant (325) Illinois Apr 9, 2010

Illegal: Bud Light at cousin's friend's off-campus apartment
    Legal: It was either Bass or Guinness at a dive bar in Niles, MI. I had both beers, but don't remember in which order.
  12. Bnoise11

Bnoise11 Savant (305) California Dec 25, 2012

Coors all the way in the late 70's when it wasn't distributed outside of Colorado (IIRC).
  13. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

First beer I ever had was Coors Light waayyy back in the day when I was like 10, I thought it was pretty good at the time, probably because I thought the idea of drinking beer was very "adult"

First decent beer I had was Newcastle when I was about 15 or 16, liked it alright

The beer that really cemented me as a craft beer enthusiast and opened my eyes to a whole new world was Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar when I was 18. I freakin loved it so much, and because I already had an appreciation for craft before I turned 21, that's all I've ever bought.
  14. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

moosehead....... I was 8...
  15. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

First ever? I think I was 10, and I chugged a whole can (yes, can) of Busch when my dad wasnt looking. That was the beginning of the end for me.....
  16. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Budweiser was my first beer.
  17. Heineken, age 9. I loved it, my mom had to stop me from drinking more since she was giving me a taste. I still think it's an alright beer.
  18. Bass Pale Ale for me. My father drank it. I had a couple homebrews from him as well growing up, though they were just sips.
  19. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Bud can when I was 17. I hated that first beer and no wonder. but I choked it down nonetheless. didn't stop me apparently from finding something better to drink. :)
  20. Bud. Never liked it and switched to wine for many years. I did like Lowenbrau and Heineken dark. Then the revolution...
  21. Zimm

Zimm Savant (490) New Jersey May 18, 2012

I didn't understand why people enjoyed beer once before. I tried my Fathers a few times or smelt it and said gross. One cold night in winter at 22 I bought a sixer of SA Cherry Wheat. It was gross and I gave it away. Then I woke up one day at 24 and my taste buds changed and wham! I loved the Cherry Wheat! Now that beer is alright but at 26 my palae has been redefined and I love beer, appreciate it, and respect it!
  22. mooseo

mooseo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Aug 11, 2008

Yuengling during my early teens. I didn't particularly care for it at the time, but little did I know I would learn to love it and still drink it to this day.
  23. assman79

assman79 Savant (430) Wisconsin May 30, 2009

Michelob. I was like 14. I also remember something i think was called ice 800. Had a panther on the label. Nasty shit.
  24. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

I think it was MGD stolen out of my dad's garage...

I was 14 (23 years ago) and one friday night, me and my buddy, ate some homemade chili my mom made, then proceeded to walk to our local arcade a mile or so away like we did every night. We made the trips walking to the arcade quite the party, as we did this night. We took the 12 pack of MGD out of the garage and made our way down the road. There is a creek on our way there that is surrounded by trees that we rode bikes, 4 wheelers, smashed bottles, and such, just being punk ass kids. So we ducked off the streets into our clandestine "nature park" and proceeded to chug the MGD, 6 a piece, with the plan being to keep walking the rest of the way, and be nice and buzzed by the time we got to the arcade. Well I made it through about 4.5 MGD before I started to feel the hurl coming on. I tried to stop it but it was like Krakatoa, chili meat and beans in a tomatoey sauce. It gets worse, I started laughing as I was puking, and chili beans soaked in MGD came out my nose.

...needless to say, my first wasn't my best.
  25. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

First entire beer was bud light in college, first try of a sip it tasted like rancid corn syrup. After a couple of tries I started to get used to the new flavor and enjoyed it. I was still oblivious to craft at that time. I think my next beer was Yuengling that my buddy bought. I tried it because I'm from Pennsylvania and I was going to school in Florida. I wanted a little bit of home. :)

My first smell of beer was from pabst blue ribbon that my great grandfather had when I was a kid. To me back then, I distinctly remember it smelling like rotten grapes.

A side note, I also remember my taste of anything homebrewed. My grandfather had a small grapevine, didn't wield much, but enough for me to snitch some. He occasionally would brew some wine, and I remember standing at his old white fridge in the garage with my brother and him offering us just a sip. I must have been about 9, but it tasted very strange from the tiny sip I took. Both my great grandfather and grandfather have now passed, so these memories are awesome!
  26. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

It was black label beer, I don't even think they sell it anymore. It was my Godfather's. Yoinked it from the table while the adults were playing spades at the behest of the other children around age 9 or so. It was gross but I was undeterred :D
  27. Haffenreffer
  28. CoolSuds

CoolSuds Disciple (70) New York Feb 13, 2008

Swiped a swig from my dad's mug at the dinner table when I was 4. This was 1965 & I think it was Rheingold...the carbonation and the hop bitterness stunned my 4 year old taste buds. A couple minutes later I went back for a second sip and my mom had a coniption. Then when I was 14 I got a tour of the St. jamesgate brewery and they served warm pints of Guinness Extra...I was the only one in our group that drank my entire glass then finished off my mom's too.
  29. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

A sip of my grandpa's Busch when I was maybe 6.
  30. In the late '70's Coors was available regionally in most states west of the Mississippi, and was already in the Top 5 of the US breweries and over 10m bbl/yr. In the states where it was sold, it was often the #1 or 2 brewery with 30-50% of the market. Similar, in limited regional distribution to Yuengling's situation today.
  31. Labgrownmangoat

Labgrownmangoat Aspirant (30) Jan 23, 2013

Raaaaiiiniiieer Beeeeer, here. The name went along with a revving dirtbike (or maybe a snowmobile) in the commercial, to give you an idea what it was like.
  32. Foster's : Australian for Budweiser !
  33. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Mine was Bud Light. Its what my parents drank so it was the easiest for me to get when I may have been underage...

I drank that for a few years. Lots of Bud Light and Jack Daniels. Then slowly started trying craft beers when I started working at a store that had a good selection. The beginning of the beginning...
  34. MM is in my city. Back then it wasn't a Six Flags Park. It was started by Newhall Land & Farm and later sold to Six Flags.
  35. Bnoise11

Bnoise11 Savant (305) California Dec 25, 2012

thanks - i couldn't quite remember the story on Coors. i grew up in Ohio FWIW, it wasn't easy for my father to get, so it seemed like a "treat".
  36. weonfire

weonfire Savant (350) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

Lowenbrau. 12 years old. I can still taste it today. Crisp. Dry. Semi-Grossness. 1 sip. 1 gulp. And back to my Grape soda.
  37. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I think I was 6 when I stole one of my grandpas Blatz beers. I had no idea what it was and it tasted different. 30 years later I have had plenty of beer, but not another Blatz.
  38. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I think my first recollection of tasting beer was Odoull's... sadly. My dad didn't want to drink much around us kids, so I am happy for that for sure.

In college my buddies and I started buying bud light 40s-cheap and to get trashed, but I quickly started to realize that there was much more out there when I started going to an lq that had a ton of different sections for regions of the world... Awesome store.
  39. My first was three bottles of Lakeport Honey. It was the night after my Grandfathers funeral at 13 years old. Awful beer, but I actually enjoyed it at the time. Sitting in a car at the family cottage with my older brother and cousin, it was quite the rite of passage. my first "real" brew has to be the Mill St. Belgian Wit I had 5 years later.
  40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Miller's version of Lowenbrau was probably my 1st that I purchased, many nights of drinking the regular & the dark singing the infamous jingle "Here's to good friends, tonight is kinda special"...than the Germans got it back and upped the price to craft pricing and somehow it was lost on me, just another skunky German macro. Not that the Miller version was anything to do cartwheels over but, this was when even "micros" were 1st crawling out of the earth...and high end was Michelob @ most places along w/the usual import SUCKspects ala Heineken, Amstel Light & Corona. Seriously, can't remember my 1st beer tasting though, the folks weren't into beer, the old man had blended scotch that's about it.