1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was Your Matrix "Red pill" moment?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerMeFitz, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Savant (300) New Jersey Aug 11, 2012

Slow stroll from college to post college drinking habits. College was all about mass consumption of Keystone and Busch Light, my "treating myself" back then was Yuengling and Newcastle. Once I graduated fell back on Bud for about a year, then started drinking "odd" beers back then to myself, Blue Moon, #9, Dos Equis. First craft beer was probably 60 minute IPA, and never turned back.

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

I decided I wanted a hobby . . . maybe start some kind of collection. Beer was the perfect choice because I can "collect" as many as I want and not have to dust anything.

Stugotzo likes this.
  3. If I recall correctly, I believe my wife dragged me to Alesmith. Life has never been the same since.

4. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Savant (295) Michigan Mar 4, 2013

Mine was definitely Bell's Oberon at The Stone Pub. My bud had recently gotten really into craft beer and was kind pushing me away from my beloved Bud Light. I had it and pretty much converted over night.

5. Dogfish 60 Minute. It was probably not long after I turned 21, so early 2009. I can't remember exactly where I was, but I know it was at a local bar.

6. It was gradual for me. I started with good beer and never bothered with bad stuff (I had great friends to guide me from good beer to better beer to amazing beer). But it wasn't a big thing for me until senior year of college. I had Yazoo Sly Rye Porter, Old Rasputin, and Left Hand Milk Stout all around the same week. It was my introduction to heavier, non-IPA beers that made me really love beer and started me on the path to enlightenment and Trappist beer.

7. Burt

Burt Savant (485) Rhode Island Nov 27, 2005

Alpha King, until then it was Boston Lager and SN's Pale Ale which were not bad but Alpha King was in a realm of its own.

8. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Mine was when my girlfriend's parents (all from Belgium) brought over a 4-pack of Duvel.

I paid it forward when my brother was visiting from NY, and I gave him a Duvel. He too, never knew beer could taste this good.

9. Caleb

Caleb Savant (280) Colorado Jun 18, 2008

I really didn't drink in college and only started while living in Thailand as a Peace Corps Volunteer. So what I knew of beer were your typical Asian lagers (in Thailand, Singh, Leo, Tiger, Chang, etc.). The best in the area was Beer Lao, and the only dark beer around was Beer Lao Dark. However, I had to cross over to Laos for those. Anyway, my "red pill" moment came when I returned to the US after five years and was staying with my sister in NYC. I popped into a little bar to have a drink while I waited for our New Years Eve dinner reservations and had an Aventinus on recommendation of the bartender. With the first sip came a radically different understanding of beer.

10. deekyn

deekyn Aficionado (220) California Dec 20, 2011

Dogfish head 90 min. My ex hated that beer just because it dragged me into beer snobbery!

11. Around '91, I had a Pete's Wicked Winter bottle.
    Then, I had another.

12. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Is Sprecher beer any good? I've had a few of their sodas and they are fantastic. I don't know why I never tried any of their beers.

13. ScottK22

ScottK22 Savant (380) New York Dec 30, 2010

It was quite a while ago, maybe around 1990. I was at a bar in Manhattan and decided to try a Corsendonk Abbey Brown, the rest is history.

14. I was introduced to the craft scene about 10 years ago with the likes of Sierra Nevada and Harpoon. Things really changed a few years back I remember having a fresh Sculpin on tap at a bar in Dunedin, FL and also having Lady of the Woods Kriek at the Cisco brewery in Nantucket. That beer sent me into the Sour world and I haven't looked back.

15. Arrogant Bastard.

I had already been working up to craft. My pastor was/is huge into craft and I'm a 'fringe' type of guy and will always stray for the norm. BMC was and is inherit crap and I knew that. Didn't start actually drinking till I was 21. Distinctly remember having a Mermaids Red and a few other craft's prior and working myself up to a AB. Purchased one, came home, poured it, and despite what all my macro friend said, "ahhh you're going to hate it, it's too hoppy, too freaking arrogant"
    I absolutely loved it.

Chimay Blue and Red was also a defining moment. Both in the beer, and in a specific time in my life (i had become a 21 year old CEO)

I just moved to San Diego and just landed a gig at a restaurant with 55 taps. 0 regrets.

16. I still drink "crap" beer, as everyone likes to describe my cherished American Lagers. I enjoy it. Nostalgia goes a long, long way with me. So does drinkability and cost efficiency. Cheers to you, Yuengling. I'll never turn my back on you.

But, my first introduction into other beers was stumbling on Sierra Nevada a while back. I'm not a big pale ale person, but theirs has always sat well with me. And oh, that Kellerweiss...long live the American hefeweizen.

Am I a certified well of knowledge on the craft beer world? Nowhere close. I'm more than willing to give every beer a sporting shot, but I have particular tastes and a lot of the nuances of some of the most popular styles are largely lost on me. But I am a firm lover of the malted beverage, and I have SN to thank for at least broadening my horizons marginally. Or at least giving me enough options to bullshit my way through looking cool enough out at the bar to pick up women drunker than I.

17. Hmmmm....tough one...

I think I'd have to say my red pill came in the form of Legends Limited's Fraoch Heather Ale. Or Delerium Tremens. Bought both because I like the labels and wanted to keep the bottles decoratively (I didn't give even half a shit about beer at the time).

18. Mine was at shortly after 21, I started going to my local bar "Beer Hunter" they had 100 beers Bottles/Draught combined mostly BMC. They had a "Hall of Foam" if you drank them all you would have your name placed on there, there were only 3 names on it. I started and finished this challenge and slowly building my palate at the start i would steer clear of the hoppy beers but by the end i was ordering an arrogant bastard to wash down te other beers. After finishing the challenge i started drinking better and different beers. The end.

19. Fitz not everyone has the stockpiles you have ;)

Can of surly bender started it out and ive gone from there

BeerMeFitz likes this.
  20. 1996, Franziskaner on my 21st B-day

21. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (475) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

im sure we all remember our first craft beer and how the experience changed our view on drinking beer forever.
    so fellow BA's share your first craft beer experience and relive the moment with us all.

my first craft beer experience was in 2010 at the mgm grand Detroit. can't remember the restaurant but i remember ordering these amazing fries corn bread and an atwater brewery dirty blonde. i remember being blown away by how great it tasted and how drinkable it was. great summer beer. i liked the beer so much i emailed them and spoke with a district manager who advised me on where i could find it in ohio and i bought a 6 pack and enjoyed them all.

22. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

I have never even heard of that beer...

23. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Savant (350) Washington Oct 31, 2012

Maudite. Those lumberjack boys in their devil-canoe took me straight down the craft rabbit hole...like a malty, satanic Splash Mountain.

utopiajane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.