1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was Your Matrix "Red pill" moment?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerMeFitz, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Last February - Left Hand Milk Stout
  2. KMK454

KMK454 Disciple (60) Florida Jul 7, 2011

From drinking Corona, Miller and Bud Lite from the bottle to drinking Sam Adam's... And then I started drinking the various seasonals from Sam. It prompted me to branch out; soon I bought a pack of Anchor Brewing Liberty Ale, followed by their Humming Ale. After that it began. Sam was the gateway beer. It's still a good session brew.
  3. Rob315

Rob315 Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 20, 2010

My first sip of Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.
    robconoclast likes this.
  4. Titans77

Titans77 Savant (270) Maryland Jul 21, 2011

My story of my craft beer obsession seems rather odd, so I thought I would share to see if anybody had a similar experience to mine.

The very beginning of my craft beer started at a small pizza joint that specializes in grilling pizza. I was only 20 years old at the time, so I couldn't order a beer. But I did decide to look at the beer list. Everything was standard. Littered with a bunch of BMC that was less than $4 a glass. The only thing that didn't fit was a beer that I have never heard of before. It was $9 for a bottle. It was Delirium Tremens. So after getting home I did a quick search and soon found my way to this great website. Which turned into me searching the top beers on the site. It quickly turned into an obsession when I found myself watching these top beers being reviewed on youtube by people like BeerGeekNation. Before this point the only craft beer I had were various Flying Dog beers. I didn't really think much of them other than good tasting beer.

Just thought I would share that rather odd story of how I got to this site and my introduction to the obsession of craft beer.

What stories do you guys have on introduction to craft beer?
    moju likes this.
  5. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

The IT guy where I work and I would always talk about beer and I would tell him I was happy as hell drinking Sol and Corona with salt and lime and he would say, "dude, you need to try some Belgian beer" and I would say, "yeah, cool" and stick with the same. Then one day during the conversation he jumped on my computer and went to Beeradvocate and showed me some Belgian brew, I stopped by the liquor store and picked up some Franziskaner Hefe-Wiesse and thought, "That's better than what I've been drinking." Next night looked for some more Belgian and found a gift pack of Chimay, started in order of abv and remember saying when I opened the red, "Where have you been all my life!" No turning back from there! Having too much fun trying every beer I can get my hands on. Cheers ~
    kevinv and moju like this.
  6. Craft beer killed my partner who was two days away from retirement. That day, I swore I would hunt down and kill craft beer wherever I found it, breaking it open one bottle at a time and emptying it drop by drop. They said I was obsessed. They took my badge. They said "This isn't even a badge, it's a flattened Narragansett Tallboy." But I'll show them all.

((Seriously, part of it is that I'm weird and I have to do things differently. Everyone's drinking Bud in cans? To hell with that; I'm buying this local beer that comes in this big jug (which I eventually learned is called a growler).))
    BeerMeFitz, jujigatame and Bobator like this.
  7. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

The "obsession" started with discovering all the kind of brews Dogfish makes. I found their other brews besides 60 & 90 (which I love still) and was blown away by the ingredients, taste, brew process, etc. I started researching all the beers they make and how they make them. After about a month or two I started branching to other breweries. I heard of FFF and how great they are (from Poppaskull) and had to try them.

Then I discovered I can't get a lot of good beers from Total Wine! In my mind at the time they had EVERYTHING or can order it at least. How wrong I was and how envious I was of CA, IN, MI, OH, etc, etc, etc. Then I discovered beeradvocate, beer trading, great BAs and now I have an "obsession." And LOVE IT!!!!
  8. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Not so much story, just got tired of piss water. Plus they opened a Bevmo and a total wine near me. Found BA and found the other great bottle shops in the IE of So. Cal

Cheers!
  9. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

When I started poking around BevMo for new beer and found Ruination.
    DirtyPenny and Aexoonge like this.
  10. egrace84

egrace84 Advocate (725) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

I was hooked after being invited to, and attending a tasting with a great great group of people, and always awesome lineup of beer. Always look forward to getting together and tasting a wide variety of deliciousness with these good friends :)
  11. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Town Hall's Masala Mama...hated it at first...but after the second, I never looked back
  12. I wanted a "ritzy" way to justify my alcoholism...
  13. jnoble

jnoble Aficionado (160) Oklahoma Feb 23, 2012

Sister brought home a bomber of Arrogant Bastard one night. Still don't like the message I think she was sending but I thank her everyday for that act of kindness. Before that I thought Newcastle was "dark," beer and everything else would taste like Bud.
    4balance likes this.
  14. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

As a young 20-something year old, I felt it was my duty to drink beer. I tried Coors Light. The task seemed more difficult then I had first thought. Then I discovered Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome. The name seemed inviting enough. And the taste, sure enough, welcomed me (pun intended), into the world of craft beers. Thank you, Samuel Smith. Whoever the hell you are.
  15. Started with a great German brew and bucked the suggestion of a Belgian beer. Rebel! :) It was my first trip to Germany that turned the tides for me, no looking back since then. Prost!
    4balance and Bobator like this.
  16. A buddy and I used to drink swill back when I was about 18 or 19, but always grab a sixer of something we never had before. I am 40 now so a long time ago, I continued flirting with imports/micros then went to a local brewpub a couple months after turning 21 and it was all over. I have been on the craft/good imports since, plus homebrewing for over 10 years.
  17. You know that's German right?
  18. Obsidian stout blew my lid off about 15 years ago. Never looked back.
  19. A friend of mine scored a manager job at a gastropub roughly three years ago. I came in and he started handing me beer after beer of stuff I had never heard of. The few that I can remember were Ballast Point Yellowtail and Delirium Tremens. I think there may have been a Stone IPA in there, too. I was a big lager drinker and this turned me on to Belgian ales and more local craft beers.

Maybe a year later, a Total Wine opened up next door to my work and I started going in and just asking for random beer recommendations from the staff. They really know their stuff.
  20. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Arrogant Bastard on tap at Scotty's Brewhouse. I had been dipping my toe into some semi-craft beers like Sam Adams, Blue Moon, and Killians. Scotty's offered a beer sampler so I thought "what the heck, let's try the one with the weird name." Life has never been the same since.
  21. Having dinner with my wife at Julian's on Broadway in Providence. Ordered a Laguinitas Hairy Eye Ball because it sounded like a cool name. Blew me the F away. I had dabbled with craft beer for a while before that moment. But when I sipped that brew it went from an interest to an obsession.
  22. First taste of the "red pill" was at a far too young of an age when I first went from drinking Bud to Michelob Classic Dark (believe it was still in junior high days). In high school I swore there was a recipe change on the Classic Dark that I didn't care for and began to shift to drinking Killian's Red and Killian's Brown for a while. Then shortly after high school a friend brought over some Devils Mountain African Black Honey (believe they use to be in Ohio) and then I truly started to understand just how good beer could taste.
  23. BrookieRookie

BrookieRookie Aspirant (45) Maine Oct 27, 2011

I progressed from Coors Light, to Blue Moon, to Shipyard Export, to Allagash White. Then I started tasting Allagash's other selections and my eyes were opened.
  24. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

yea, my friend did show me some Belgian brews on BA that day along with the Franziskaner, but that was all I found when at the store as it was a bit overwhelming looking at all the brew I never paid attention to…should have worded my post better, got in a hurry! :)
  25. For me it was sitting at the Liar's Club in San Diego (the old location on Mission Beach) having my first Russian River Damnation back in 2005. But really that was just the start of a slow progression (I can be thick headed). It wasn't until I was encouraged/surrounded by those that share the passion that I truly went down the rabbit hole.
  26. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

For me it was June 1981, a bottle of La Trappe shared with my new father in law on his front porch in a small village in France. On the porch he kept a small fridge full of Belgian and French beers and in the afternoons after lunch we would sit and sip beer together He spoke no English and I spoke no French, but that was no problem.
  27. mahak213

mahak213 Savant (320) New York Mar 5, 2012

My girlfriend visited family in eastern Europe and sampled a good bunch of Belgian brews, most notably Delirium Tremens and Duvel. She came back and when grocery shopping we found a 4 pack of Tremens, her favorite, and picked it up. Haven't looked back, and although I don't particularly care for Belgian pales much anymore, it's what got me hooked!
  28. My first Pliny. On tap at Father's Office in LA circa 2009.
  29. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I am a willpower idiot. Or I was. Anyway, I made a point of not drinking until I was 21 (it was useful to be a DD, to help prevent friends from DUIs and stupidity,) and when I did start drinking, I decided that I would "figure beer out" because I always thought Miller and Bud and stuff tasted horrible when I WOULD have a sip. I figured there had to be some reason why beer would be desirable.

A lot of mediocre beer followed, but it was Lagunitas Copper Ale, alongside a Black Sabbath burger at Kuma's Corner that pretty much sealed the deal.
  30. ixodus

ixodus Savant (285) New Jersey Jul 18, 2010

Long Trail Ale pretty much started it for me then I started buying Saranac and Sam Adams which lead me to randomly buy a Rochefort 10. My eyes nearly popped out of my head at first sip. I remember my buddy bought one too and we both took our first sip and looked at each other and said DUDE!
  31. pezfiend

pezfiend Aficionado (175) New York May 25, 2009

Saranac Pale Ale in college. When people would be swilling Busch out of red cups (not to say I've never done this myself), I'd be walking around with a half growler of Saranac Pale or Black Forest
  32. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (320) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

All these stories are great for a book!
  33. 1994 or 1995 - Tampa FL fairgrounds - Allman Brothers Band concert - Weinhard's Boar's Head Red draft.
    There has been plenty of progression since then, but that was when I realized there was more than bud lite.
  34. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

For 10 years I enjoyed Samuel Adam's offerings. I would treat myself to Boston Lager and the seasonals every once in a while. I did not drink much beer then, but if I did it would be BMC or my occasional SA treat. Actually, no Coors, I have always hated Coors. I would also dabble in Guiness, Bass, or Blue Moon. This was the extent of my beer world.
    RED PILL MOMENT
    I was tailgating at a Pats game three years ago. This guy brought a cooler full of craft beer singles. He had about 40 beers in that cooler and it was quite the mix. I just started going nuts trying this and that, it was awesome. I never knew beers could be so different. Then I came across a bottle of La Fin Du Monde in that cooler. That was it. I was at the store the next day picking up a couple of mix sixers and haven't looked back. Tomorrow, I will be entering re-hab for a Hop addiction. :(
  35. rodkin

rodkin Savant (275) New York Sep 27, 2011

I actually didn't really like beer until about a year ago. Never got into bud, miller, or that kind of stuff during college. I was visiting my sister in San Diego and we went to the Stone brewpub for lunch. Asked a friend for a recommendation and he said the RIS. That did it for me.
  36. Last summer I went on a buisness trip to San Diego and while there a co-worker introduced me to the craft beer scene and breweries like Stone, Lost Abbey, Green Flash, but most importantly belgian style beer. I think my matrix pill moment was with lost abbey lost & found.
  37. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (320) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Love that beer!
  38. 2007: I grabbed a Rasputin because it was, "dark like Guinness." Everytime I see it on tap now I feel like I need to order one as a thank you.
  39. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

We were on vacation in Rehoboth drinking Modelo Especial. A friend of the family brought by a case of 60 Minute IPA. He maybe had one or two while he stayed for dinner, trying to convince us to step away from the Modelo, no one did. He was kind enough to leave the beer behind as a present when he departed shortly after dinner.

We finished the Modelo and decided to try the DFH, and everyone was like "ugh too hoppy" but no one wanted to go to the store, or it was closed, possibly we were too drunk. I just remember that everyone went to bed and I stayed up for hours thinking "this isn't so bad". When they went to get beer the next day, I went back to work on the DFH.

I didn't know it at the time, but that was the moment.
  40. I had a more defined transition towards liking beer at all. As a teenager I hated it, but that's because I just had some of my parents' Bud Lite and Corona. Went on a camping trip with some friends and we ran out of water, so I tried a Yuengling. Turns out beer is pretty good.

I never drank BMC on purpose, so my transition to craft beer was a little more gradual, and mostly about acquiring a taste for hops. I started drinking Pale Ale (Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head) without really knowing what it meant, and slowly picked up IPAs. Iron Hill Brewpub was also a pretty big influence in that direction, they've made some incredible stouts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.