1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was Your Matrix "Red pill" moment?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerMeFitz, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

My "oh my god there's better beer in the world" moment was caused by a bottle of "Munich Dark". I don't know who brewed it, and I'm pretty sure it's not around anymore. This was probably in the late '90's. They were selling bottles at Vons, and I noticed it because of the German iron eagle design on the label. Being a fan of German industrial music, the imagery on the label appealed to me, and thankfully I decided to try it. I don't really remember how it tasted, just that I loved it at the time. Before that beer, I didn't really like beer at all, because all I really knew about in the beer world was Corona, Bud Light and Lucky Lager.

2. MartonPeters

MartonPeters Disciple (70) Illinois Jun 24, 2012

For me it was Newcastle at first while watching sets of Leadfoot a few years ago, then recently it was a fresh Gumballhead followed by an Alpha King and the rest came flowing after. Then had a Bourbon County Stout yest. for the first time...speechless!

3. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (320) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

I agree....BCBS changed everything for me!

VTMoondog and MartonPeters like this.
  4. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

Mine was a '07 Bourbon County on Jan 2009

5. KBS.
    Used to think that Stella and Blue Moon were as good as beer could get. Then by dumb luck I was in my local drinking spot and overheard the manager talking with the beer rep about an amazing beer that they had just got. Bought a four pack and never looked back. Thank you KBS!!!

6. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

<------------ in the late 90's. After my first sip shit got real.

7. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in 2001. Craved hops ever since.

8. hopipapi

hopipapi Disciple (70) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

New to this BA. Had Goose Island Honkers in college 1995. Not too fancy of a beer by todays standards but back then was pretty good.

9. Rudy

Rudy Aficionado (235) California May 11, 2012

New to BA as well. Back in 2002-2003 ish my buddy ordered a pitcher of Arrogant Bastard @ Pizza Port in Solana Beach. I wasn't ready at that point in time to have my BMC, Grupo Modelo, and Cervecería Cuauhtémoc-Moctezuma blinders taken off. I would say that Samuel Adams Boston Lager removed the blinders slowly and at my 30th birthday party in 2007 a friend of mine brought a 6 pack of Mirror Pond Pale Ale and told me I had to drink one, ever since that day the blinders were removed permanently and I vowed to try as many different brews as possible.

10. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 27, 2012

Drank PBR as a teen but I enjoyed a Fat Tire from time to time around the age of 19. As soon as I turned 21, I knew there was a world out there waiting. Joined BA, and here I am.

11. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

first time I had something like no other apart from guinness and Mc Ewans and all that..... was Hennepin, about 10 years ago.. roughly?

hopipapi likes this.
  12. It happened when I was smoking ALOT of pot in college. RACER 5. Go figure with that Rastafarian colored tap handle MON...

hopipapi likes this.
  13. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

My moment came the day I turned 21. I had always loved good beer but it's difficult to shop for it vicariously through your 21 year old friends, so I'd either just ask for Fat Tire or "whatever looks good."

This approach doesn't do much for broadening the horizons. But the day I turned 21 I walked into that bottle shop in Gunnison, CO and shit hit the fan. So many beers, so little time. It's been one magnificent adventure ever since.

jgagne likes this.
  14. estlinska

estlinska Savant (270) Arkansas Sep 30, 2010

I grew up in Alabama, did college in Mississippi, so there was a terrible void of craft beer until 2009 when Bama opened up their beer laws. I had friends in college who swore by Guinness and Blue Moon, but that was my closest exposure to "fancy beer." I guess if I had to pin down my "red pill" moment it would be at The Map Room in Chicago in February 2008. I was visiting a college buddy of mine who was more of an angry whiskey drinker, but insisted we go try this beer bar because it had "a bunch of different beers on tap." I didn't recognize any of them, but I ordered an IPA brewed in Michigan whose name escapes me. I remember it came in a snifter and the smell alone blew me away. I drank two, and a Delerium Tremens (which I hated; only ordered it cuz of the name). After that, I went about trying to find anything comparable in Alabama. Sierra Nevada, Sweetwater, and Sam Adams became my staples. In 2009, when Alabama finally changed their ways, I swilled my way through gallons of Great Divide, local Good People, and pretty much everything on tap at J. Clyde in Birmingham. I haven't looked back since.

15. bdeast1

bdeast1 Aficionado (205) Alabama Feb 4, 2011

Like the post before me, I grew up in Alabama. I didn't even begin to drink until I worked in a restaurant with a craft beer drinker. I tasted things here and there after the beer laws in Alabama changed. My "epiphany" beer was flying dog porter. After that everything dark I could get my hands on I drank. It's been a great journey ever since.

16. robconoclast

robconoclast Aficionado (155) Ohio Jun 22, 2012

My father always told me that if I was going to drink underage and get caught that I'd better be drinking the good stuff. When I turned 21 a decade ago I started off drinking Guinness, Killians, Bass and Blue Moon. Occasionally I would buy Miller Light. I'd have to say that Great Lakes sampler packs exposed me to IPA's and porters. After visiting the Brew Kettle here in northern Ohio I was exposed to a wider variety of craft microbrews and it's been uphill since.

17. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (320) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Each and every story is better then the Next. This is like reading a great beer Lovers book or beer lovers reality show! Cheers!

MartonPeters likes this.
  18. New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red and Southern Tier Creme Brulee, there was just something about them that was just mind blowing

19. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

I went from Olde English as a teen, to Bud heavy, to Guinness. Then 4-5 years ago I went to a new bar that opened by my work (International Taphouse) and tried a Maharaja. What an eye opener!

20. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

When I was a kid, I got really turned off by green bottles that were hyped as being vastly superior, Lowenbrau, Heineken, St. Pauli Girl; so initially I had the opposite experience. They tasted gross and disgusting to me, and gave me massive headaches even when drinking a single beer. For a while I hated the idea of drinking anything other than something I knew and trusted.

Seems to me I was a freshman in college in Minnesota, when room-mate turned me on to Guinness, Foster's, Dos Equis. Would have been about 1981. For years after I led a double existence of beers I could afford to drink and knowing there was more, occasionally treating myself.

I think I really got the red pill one night at Tut's in Chicago at a Violent Femmes Show. They had Guinness on tap, and it was a proper temperature. I followed that with a pitcher of Bass Ale, which I drank by myself on a bet straight from the pitcher.

FTowne likes this.
  21. i took the blue pill.

FTowne likes this.
  22. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

As long as it didn't last more than 4 hours. If it did, you better have called every woman that you know.

23. it last 23 and 1/2 hours. god ive been waiting to drop that one forever!

FTowne likes this.
  24. Gcarns

Gcarns Aficionado (125) California Jul 21, 2010

Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale at my buddies cottage in Michigan in 08'. My addiction started soon after..

25. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Imports, Pete's Wicked Ale, Anchor, Sam Adams, and Bells. FFF and Founders were right on the heels of those first four breweries and were the second wave in the Midwest. Sierra Nevada showed up fairly early as well. Even before I turned 21, I was drinking craft beer during the first craft beer boom in the 90's.

26. My first non-BMC moment was not long after I turned 21 (2007). I asked for an Abita amber or Turbodog when I was at a restaurant with some friends. Neither is a great beer, but whichever it was really turned me on to the idea that I've only drank ONE type of who knows how many beers are out there. I really was clueless up until that point.

A week or so later, I bought a sixer of all of their year-round offerings. Good times were had, and from then on I've continued to explore the different styles of beer.

27. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (600) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Shiners black lager about 2 years ago. Well Shiner's started it but Grimbergen sealed the deal.
    I had become tired of Yuengling and began a search for different beers.
    Went through a lot of bigger brewery beers that didn't change my mind about beer like becks, corona, rolling rock, guiness....then I had that shiner's.
    This of course led to a search for better beer stores and I found one that had Grimbergen and a lot of other nice brews. I remember the first time I had Marshal Zhukov....man haven't found a better stout yet.

I can't get grimbergen anymore though =( I miss that beer.

28. jgagne

jgagne Savant (320) Kentucky Feb 23, 2011

My 21st birthday about a year and half ago, I went to stubbies and steins in Gainesville Florida. Ordered an Abt 12 and Oskar blues ten fidy. Never looked back. Before then I was always interested in craft beer but being under 21 in a college town it was just inconvienant to have someone get you anything good exept for the occasional blue moon. Really glad I decided to go there instead of going to a house party serving BMC.

29. I started drinking craft beer since day 1 because my Dad was a beer nerd growing up. It was all I knew. The beer that changed everything for me though was Hop Stoopid. That beer single handily made me switch my major and pursue beer for a living.

30. Victory's Hop Devil about a year ago. Soon after discovered Hop Wallop and realized I'll never stop chasing hoppy beers. All in a journey to taste as much different beer from as many different locations! Raise one for the craft community!

31. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

Gonzo Imperial porter straight out of the bottle because the people at the bar were inept. This was November of 2009.

32. Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA

33. Started drinking Sam Adams back in the late 80's in Boston and that evolved into SNPA, Bass and some of the better PA's, but it wasn't until I had a Bigfoot a few years back that my beer appreciation was realized.

34. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

I was recently in Dallas for a week and didn't find a good beer store so I didn't get to try their good craft beer. I had Shiner Bock the whole time I was there and it made me miss California so bad!!!

35. 80's - Bass -my father always had some in the fridge - so I always knew there were better beer than domestics
    90's - Sam Adams - buddy in college got a cash influx and wanted to splurge - drinking beer with actual flavor stuck in my head and I did so whenever I could afford it
    00's - Chimay Blue - didn't know that beer could be so refined - the expensive price forced me to seek out alternatives which turned me onto alot of great belgian beers and finding beers I have never heard of before started my beer hunting days and style knowlegde.
    10's - St. Pauli Girl - keeps reminding me that stereotypes are for suckers, there's a time, circumstance, and place for any type of beer, price is not indicitive of quality, and balance/drinkability is important, as is consitency and availability.

36. In college, I drank Olympia even though I went to school in Colorado before Coors was distributed east of the Mississippi. But since then I was always looking for something better. Tried Heineken, Molson Golden, Becks, Moosehead. It wasn't until I had Anchor Steam sometime in the early 2000's that I realized that there was a beer I could drink on a regular basis and not get sick of it. From there it was Sam Adams but when I had my first Torpedo about 3-4 years ago [can't remember exactly - too much beer] I knew that I was a hophead.

37. I started with Labatts, Guiness, New Castle, but it was about 6 years ago when I had a 60 minute Dogfish head at HopLeaf in Chicago.... that was the moment that changed everything for me.

38. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

Rochfort 10 in Brugge made me stop being a wine freak and switch to beer freak about 6 years ago, and then PtY happened

39. moxiebliss

moxiebliss Aspirant (25) Jul 12, 2012

I had been a super-conservative guy and a Pastor until I was 30... after this era I lost my ministry job and figured it'd be okay to drink beer, not because of rebellion, I just until that point included abstinence a part of pastoral decorum. I was a fan of MGD and Mich Lite... BUUUUUT my first introduction to a craft beer was Blue Moon while me and my band were tracking an album... friggin' amazing! I wasn't used to the 5.2%, so I was pretty giddy, haha!

FanofHefe likes this.
  40. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

So, I've preferred good beer to the mass produced crap for a number of years but I didn't really fall headfirst into the craft beer scene until about a year ago on the eve of the Great Taste of the Midwest. My brother was in town to go to the festival, and the night before the festival he took me to a FFF tap takeover at one of the bars in town. We were there for about four hours and the beers I was sampling were pretty tasty. I was told by my brother that the main reason that we were there is becuse they were going to be tapping a "Darklord" aged in Bourbon Barrels and soaked in Madagascar Vanilla Beans (known to me now as a BA Vanilla Darklord).

Anyway, the tapping was supposed to occur at 9:00. 9:00 comes and goes and at 9:30 the entire bar starts chanting "Darklord! Darklord! Darklord!" after a few minutes, one of the owners of FFF steps out with an all black tap handle and holds it over his head like its the friggin' stanley cup or something and the place goes crazy. Since we had been there for almost five hours and had struck up a good dialogue with one of the bartenders, we secured about 10 six ounce pours (between me, my brother and his buddy) of the good stuff the second they started pouring. I had one taste and that was it............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.