1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was Your Matrix "Red pill" moment?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerMeFitz, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

should have been a belgian monk instead ;). wait it's never too late.

2. Fuller's London Porter

It wasn't the first non-macro beer I ever tried... but it was definitely the first one to really open my eyes, and encouraged me to keep trying more (instead of going back to the fizzy yellow cheap stuff I had spent most of college drinking).

3. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Struise Black Albert. Probably about 2 years ago. One sip and I'm sold to craft beer ever since. I still kinda blame myself for starting out this big. If I'd eased into it, I probably wouldn't be comparing every single (imperial) stout I have to it now. Well, guess it's their fault for making it so damn gorgeous.

I had tasted Westvleteren and all the stuff that put Belgium on the map, but after being told that Black Albert was an American-style imperial stout, I opened my eyes to the rest of the world. I'm feeling fuzzy inside just thinking about it as the one that kick-started it all. Lovely.

4. Harpoon 100 barrel weizenbock. I was dabbling for a long time but that one pushed me over the edge.

5. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Some time ago in the early era of the crafts circa 1998 or so. Never a big fan of the US common beers. I had been into Mexican(Negro Modelo) ,Japanese (various) beers. I also tried Sam Adams BL and SNPA for the first time around then. I remember shortly later on Fat Tire coming out and I have been a junkie ever since.

6. Houston

Houston Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012

As the stereotypical broke college kid, I've been exposed to every shit American macro imaginable (see: Beer 30 Light). Luckily for me, my girlfriend's family consists of a few dudes who really enjoy craft beer. The first beer they exposed me to that really sold me on craft beer was Mission Brewery's Imperial Stout, Dark Seas. Ever since, I've been obsessed with all things craft beer.

7. chimay blue was as close to a eureka moment as i had. was gradually working my way along the BMC->blue moon->sam adams path about 5 or 6 years ago, just starting to try some stuff like DFH and victory, when i first had the chimay. blew my mind, beer tasting like that.

8. dedrinker

dedrinker Initiate (0) Kansas May 13, 2006

Closest I could say would be Eichbaum Pils in Germany. January 1992. I was 19. Switched from Milwaukees Best and Olympia to that stuff. Actually tasted like bread to me at the time. But I will still tear up a can of Macro brew though. 30 pack of Genny Cream Ale and don't even look back.

9. Zhiguli

Chimay is still the beer that converts most of the Russian friends I have. They drink stuff they know, dont like trying new things. But somehow Trader Joe selling Chimay gets them really into it. Very few of them have moved on to others from there, but there is something to Chimay that gets a nice crossover action.

10. agreed. i think it's largely due to being flavorful and tasty while at the same time being fairly approachable. whereas some "beginners" are often put off by the hoppy bite/bitterness of IPAs/DIPAs or even the strong roasted malt character of say a stout, chimay doesn't assault the palate quite the same way. be my guess, anyway.

perrymarcus likes this.
  11. A friend was trying to get me into craft beer and I was starting to like it more and more when he brought over an Abyss. Game over.

12. Visiting the sam adams brewer was really what converted me. Up to that point I like different things, but I had no idea why. On the tour getting to smell the raw hops and taste barley helped me understand what I was SUPPOSED to taste in beer

13. I walked into a smelly (I would later learn about the greatness of this odor) homebrew store down by the river in Reno NV ten or so years ago and spotted some a bunch of 750's that looked pretty metal. Went with the one that translated to the end of the world. La Fin du Monde! Still drink it from time to time... and I still listen to Fugazi.

14. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

In the beginning,I used to dabble w/ New England Brewing's Atlantic Amber when it used to be in bottles back in the day.Also some Pete's Wicked brews(strawberry blonde) ect......Sam Adam's Variety packs.But maybe it was Sam Smith's Old Brewery Pale ale and Nut Brown ale that I would consider my matrix "red pill" moment.

All of the above listed def. got my craft beer engines goin and I haven't looked back......;)

Cheers All.......

15. Instead of a single red pill moment, it was more of a gradual progression from the Michelob I used to love, marked by several benchmarks along the way - Chimay Blue, Saint Bernardus, Old Stock Cellar Reserve, Older Viscosity, and the Bourbon County varietals.

BoUrBoNbArReL likes this.
  16. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

I can't pinpoint my entry into craft beers, I think it was a gradual move in that direction thanks to a few of my friends. They broke me down slowly over my last few years of college.

I do remember getting hooked on sour beers after popping my v-card at The Coopers Tavern with a Monk's Café Flemish Sour Ale last summer. I've been chasing down anything sour that I can get my hands on ever since.

17. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Originally, Magic Hat #9 directed me to good beer. But the "red pill" beer here in Michigan was Short's Soft Parade. And then the magic happened. See what I did there...?

18. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

WOW, you had a Magic Hat #9 and didn't run away from craft beer?!

Zhiguli likes this.
  19. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Compared to BMC, no....it didn't.

20. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Something about that wicked vinyl/plastic/artificial aftertaste will always haunt me. On a positive note, it was your gateway beer.

21. Rogue Dead Guy Ale for me. I'm sure that brew has converted a number of BA's.

22. TaxDork

TaxDork Aficionado (105) California Jan 18, 2010

I discovered the Brickskeller in DC as a sophomore in college back in the mid-90s.

I'd "upgraded" my beer selection to primarily Sam Adams and Guinness, but I was totally unprepared for my first night at the Brick.

I asked for a recommendation for someone who liked dark beers like Guinness. I think the waiter was trying to throw down the gauntlet by bringing me an Old Rasputin.

After getting my mind blown like that, I think I went back at least once a week for the next 3 years.

The Brick may be gone now, but there must be thousands of people who got woken up in that dump.

23. TheBeerSnob

TheBeerSnob Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012

A Rochefort 8 at t'Brugs Beertje with a beautiful woman I dearly loved. Kind of a bittersweet memory.

24. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

I am right there with ya on this!

25. My first beer was a Busch Light at 16 and I spent many years drinking that and similar beer. The light bulb turned on when I took a "chance" and had a Newcastle on draft at a local bar when I was 22 or 23. It made me realize that there was better stuff out there. I eventually discovered SA, SN, and NB and never looked back.

26. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

Gumballhead was mine. I had a gradual climb up the proverbial beer ladder as many have stated but when I tasted GBH it was all over...

27. It wasn't a specific beer for me. It was more of a friend showing me untappd. We were on a trip that weekend to Arizona, and I never had the same beer twice. I was drinking a new beer every day on average, and then it just became to much. So then I found out about trading? A whole new pill to swallow... Maybe black?

28. kirkse

kirkse Initiate (0) Florida Dec 31, 2010

My first Nugget Nectar... it was all over after that.

29. Peche Mortel. I was really getting into the craft scene by going to a bar local to me that generally has some really nice (not rare, just really good) stuff on tap. One day, the bartender that was normally there put one in front of me and said, it's 8 bucks, but it's really, really worth it. About a twenty minutes later, it was all over, and it's been a slippery slope from there.

30. KAF

KAF Advocate (530) Iowa Jun 22, 2007

I was at a local co-op like shop in Cedar Falls, IA (Roots) in 2004 and at the time in my drinking career I was drinking Boulevard Wheat, Blue Moon and Amber Bock and nothing else. I saw a bunch (60 or so) bottles on the back wall of the shop and went to investigate. There were bottles of FFF Pride and Joy and Robert the Bruce that I thought looked interesting so I bought them. I took them home and tried each and thought "these are great!" I then went back and eventually worked my way through every beer they had available and was hooked.

31. BRZvice

BRZvice Aficionado (210) Michigan Apr 7, 2012

[​IMG]
    I knew I was in trouble when I woke up craving this literally for Breakfast after a taste..since then I haven't looked back to Bud Light

32. Driftwood Fat Tug IPA. I didn't even like IPAs at the time but this beer just felt so right. It's the beer that first got me into buying bombers, which quickly snowballed into a full fledged craft beer obsession. Went from "I hate hops!" to "DIPA? You call that a DIPA!? My grandmother could shoot a more bitter beverage out of her..." in about a month. All it takes is the right beer, kids.

33. My first red pill was Hoegaarden in 2005. Made me realize their was more variety in beer then yellow Lagers.

My second red pill was La fin du monde in 2009. That opened my mind to really just try anything. I've been surprised by many random beers I've picked up off the shelf since.

34. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

I tried skunked imports from bad liquor stores during college, but I didn't appreciate decent beer until I worked at Oldenberg Brewery (in the eighties). Sometimes I miss working at a job that comes with a zwickel.

35. dennho

dennho Savant (345) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

Petes Wicked Ale. Before that it was Erlanger, Löwenbräu, anything with a little flavor.

36. anglagard1

anglagard1 Savant (255) Wisconsin Nov 17, 2010

I've had a LOT of cheap beer in my time. Even when I spent the extra money, I thought I was treating myself buying something like Labatt Blue, Foster Lager, or Heineken. Hell, I used to think "lager" meant it was good beer. I used to think good beer was supposed to taste skunky like Heineken. But the last few years really have been good ones for beer drinkers. My red pill moment, however, was my first evening drinking Duvel. I never knew beer could hit so many different notes on my tastebuds. Since then, I've been trying to recreate that moment, sometimes coming pretty close.

37. 312 from Goose Island started it. Then I went to their brewpub, which had a full on beer menu.
    "Beer menu? As in separate from the food menu? Not just a list on a card on the table? Huh. Odd... Wait there are are descriptions about the different types? Food pairings?"

Beer has never been quite the same.

38. Zhiguli

Right. I suppose Trader Joe's distribution doesn't hurt either.

39. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

You have to bang a couple 3's to appreciate an 8.

Like most I drank shit beer in HS and once of age I drank what I thought was premium beer like Blue Moon, Killians, Red Stripe etc. My dad happened to buy a bunch of Magic Hat and I actually liked the taste of it as opposed to just drinking it. I liked Circus Boy a lot and decided to start searching out more craft beer and that was it from then on.

40. Rochefort 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.