1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was Your Matrix "Red pill" moment?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerMeFitz, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

I totally forgot about Pete's wicked ale....I have to add that to one of my 1st tried

2. BeerMeFitz

I think that bcbs really was "THE" beer that made me become a true beer geek. Sooooo damn good in the fall, winter and even in the Sahara in the July!

VTMoondog likes this.
  3. Founders Breakfast stout. And I still drink it till this day.

4. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

To be honest it was Guinness. I have had tons of garbage beer and that was the first beer that was actually good to me. The roasted malt and the nitrogen mouthfeel did it for me.. After that I was into stouts and it led me to try other stouts.. then it led me to imperial stouts... then it led me to bourbon barrel stouts.. After trying all those beers, I said lets try other beers from those breweries which led to IPAs, DIPAs, Oaked Aged DIPAs, Strong Ales, Wild Ales, Barleywines, Brown Ales, Red Ales, Dubbels, Tripples, Quads and etc... It was all one big domino effect.

5. Arrogant Bastard summer of 2008, didnt know what it was, or what craft beer was but the descrition enticed the hell out of me.

6. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Summer 2009 I had a Goose Island IPA. Almost instant conversion right there. The very next week I sought bought out my first craft pack (Dundee) to start sampling different beers.

7. ncketchum

ncketchum Savant (360) Wisconsin Apr 30, 2006

2005 - DFH 90 minute. Still one of my favorites (too bad they don't distribute to WI anymore...)

8. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Anchor Steam...

9. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

Left Hand Milk Stout was the groundbreaker for me back in 2005, from there I had good ones here and there but I was never really a beer drinker - for years Left Hand Milk Stout was the only beer I'd enjoy.

Until Saint Arnold Amber Ale...

I had a taste of it on draft at a local bar's Steak Night back in 2011, From there I tried other Saint Arnold Styles, I tried some Real Ale here and there as well and then I knew I liked "good" beer - I hated the "cheap" beer. Then back in July '12 I had Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12 and I was in the game from there...

Now I try, trade, sell, buy, hunt beers... I'm calming down a bit, quite a few drainpours made me gun shy here as of late but Saint Arnold has yet to really let me down.

10. jgroch2

jgroch2 Zealot (80) Illinois Mar 26, 2011

'09 BCBS. I remember thinking "why the hell would anyone pay $20 for 4 beers...well it's like 13% ABV so i might as well give it a shot". Totally regret not saving more of it/buying a ton of bombers, it just sat on the shelf back then.

Samjuan12 likes this.
  11. warrenout330

warrenout330 Aficionado (240) Ohio Oct 19, 2012

I always tinkered around with imports and Sam Adams in college but my first "red pill" experience was my first rochfert 10..... probably not the best first beer because I pretty much compared every beer to that for the first year

12. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Mine about 1985. Probably Moosehead. Moved on to Guiness, then Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Taddy Porter, and Nut Brown Ale, as well as Optimator. From there on, it just grew exponentially...happily so.

13. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

What's weird is that I actually don't remember. Maybe New Holland Ichabod? I used to go to stein night on Wednesdays, which was a $4 fill of any beer in any mug you brought from home, provided it was a liter or less. I had a lot of those back in the day.

14. Pete's Wicked seasonals

15. hotpipes29

hotpipes29 Aficionado (120) Ohio Dec 22, 2008

Pete's wicked winter was the first Red pill case I ever bought. I still miss that stuff!

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. nsheehan

nsheehan Advocate (510) Texas Jul 3, 2011

Around December 20th, 2010. The beer was fresh bottled RR Blind Pig, but the real Red Pill was my brother taking the time to guide me through tasting it and share his enthusiasm. Beer has since become a bigger family tradition, and we go to RR or have PtE whenever my brothers and I are home. I finally get to pay him back this December with a Westy 12.

17. I loved the Pete's seasonals. Not a big fan of Pete's Wicked Ale.

18. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (350) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

Maes Pils from a pick a six. Haven't had it since, but that was when I knew beer could be more than the Old Mil Light my Dad drank all the time.

Thanks Mom for divorcing that idiot, Thnx to my stepfather who taught me what good beer, good cigars and a good life was all about.

19. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Savant (250) Indiana Jul 10, 2012

Prob 2004 with my first gumballhead. When it was still good. Before Jim left. Haven't drank Piss beer since. my palet wasn't ready for ba darklord in 06 when I first had it,but continued too drink of the shelf craft brews until I had double crooked tree on tap. Then it was over. And then searching for awesome craft beer started.

20. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (550) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

gotta be Black Butte, right about 20 years ago, give or take a few weeks.
    Had some real lean beer times in the middle, but it's a great beer world we live in now.

cheers--
    --Michael

21. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

9 years ago. It happened to also be the first beer I ordered legally in a bar.
    Troegenator

22. 1998..when I was in College and in Brussels. I asked the bartender for a good local beer and I got a Chimay Blue. I was stunned by how awesome it was and realized how crasppy the beer I had been drinking in College was... (natural lite)

23. Deschutes Mirror Pond pale ale on my first day of graduate school at the University of Oregon, after moving down from British Columbia (where I mostly drank Kokanee or foreign macros like Guinness). I quickly went from there to west coast IPAs and stouts, and never looked back. Deschutes is still probably my favorite brewery though.

I still laugh when I go back to Canada and hear guys drinking swill from Molson and Labatt talking about how "American beer sucks".

fickenmeimirish likes this.
  24. lester619

lester619 Savant (375) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Celebration Ale circa 2006. Still my favorite.

25. Not really a red pill for me, but more of a tiered graduation to bigger and better things:
    Step 1: Magic Hat #9 (when all I knew was Natty Light)
    Step 2: DFH 90 Minute
    Step 3: Fantome Saison
    Step 4: Not there yet, and I'll probably never afford to get there, as this tier includes vintage gueuze, one-off whales, and old bottles of Thomas Hardy that crumble in your hands while you're pouring. Sweeeeet.

The sad thing is that my first beer was at a pub in Birmingham, England when I was 15. Real ale! And I had no clue what I was drinking. Still cool to think about, though.

26. I was in Italy and I couldn't get anything except domestic pilsners like Peroni or really crappy Belgian imports. When I got back to the states I realized what I had been missing when I had my first non-piss colored beer in six months. I think it was an Arcadia Ales Chocolate Stout that they don't make anymore...

I got so drunk off of only three beers that I ordered delivery and fell asleep before it arrived. No idea what the delivery guy did. It was magical.

27. Anchor Steam also. Circa 1993. Followed closely by Pete's Wicked and Pyramid IPA, with the deal being sealed by visiting various brewpubs in downtown Denver.

28. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Mine had to be somewhere around late 89- early 90s too...

29. Double Bastard for me. Before that I've had good beers that I thought were good but didn't go back to them because of the price. Had Double Bastard and realized I could never drink a bud lite again.

30. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Agreed. Dbl B was the first seasonal I would really get excited about each year. My first micro's were stuff like saranac, pete's, honey brown,oregon, pyramid and dead guy. But when I started drinking Dbl B's there was no going back.

31. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Ditto. Drank BMC until about 4 years ago. I would try occasional things such as SA Summer Ale, SNPA, and Blue Moon. Then I had some Abita Purple Haze and Pyramid Apricot Ale which I thought were awesome. While I don't regard them as highly now, I do find those fruit beers have made good gateways when converting friends.

But the first "wow" moment was Stone IRS with a buddy. He bought a bomber and we split it. I was never really into dark stuff, much less an IRS. That beer completely changed my view of craft and what it could be. We poured it at refrigerator temp (hindsight is 20/20) and as it warmed up, my mind was blown. Been on the train ever since.

JulianB likes this.
  32. A lot of people have been explaining progressions through stages and tiers but I would need to post a lengthy timeline to fully explain my evolution and, since the thread asked for ONE moment, I'm gonna stick to that:
    In 2004, I started working for the original Dogfish brewpub and began trying their beers. First I tried 60 min and liked it. Then Raison and liked it even though it was a completely foreign flavor to me that, at the time, I could only describe as "murky." But the username says it all. I tried an Immort Ale for the first time and said "Oh. My. God...Beer can be this delicious AND be 11%?!" That was the moment I discovered the wonders of craft beer, not the moment I became a beer geek. That would come 5 years later when a friend of mine who brewed for Dogfish at the time started letting me try his homebrew and showing me how the brewing process works. I blame him for making me the compulsive beer nut I am today. Thanks Joe ;)

33. ZEROorDIE

ZEROorDIE Zealot (90) Massachusetts Jan 20, 2010

2 weeks after turning 21, i bought a 4 pk of SA imperial white because it was like 10%abv or something. tried it and thought it was really good, so since then ive been trying awesome and exotic beer. before i was 21 my mainstays were heinenken, SA octoberfest, and coors light.

34. Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Fall '09. Recommended by a friend--loved it!

35. Mine too, about June of last year, had been into craft beer, but that was my first big beer run. Fell in love with the Maharaja! After that I went a little crazy and bought enough beer for the cellar to explode and the wife to put me on a budget!

36. My wife is still trying to do this.. Doesnt work.

37. It is tough and I go over most months and it sucks balls, but still better than what I was doing...

fickenmeimirish likes this.
  38. BeerMeFitz

You cant go wrong with two hearted!

39. stealth

stealth Advocate (555) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Black Butte XXII, then Surly Five a short while later. Double whammy that turned my beer world upside down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.