1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

What was Your Matrix "Red pill" moment?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerMeFitz, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

The same thing happened to me.
    When I saw that YETI on the label, it was "challenge accepted".
    One of the best beer decisions of my life in a style I truly love.
  2. pweis909

pweis909 Member

Fizzy Yellow Crap beer was the reality of the mid 1980s. Old Milwaukee and Genesee were the most frequently available beers in my small college town. When a buddy returned from Christmas break (Jan. 1986) with a duffel full of Samuel Smith's (Pale Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Taddy Porter, Oatmeal Stout), Guinness Extra, Whitbread Pale Ale, and Newcastle Brown Ale, I learned that there was something "other" out there. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a red pill moment though, because it wasn't like this immediately opened a world of great beer to explore. I was still in a small college town with crappy beer, so the change to craft beer was more gradual than the pill metaphor suggests.
  3. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Member

Mid 80's..... Hey guy what is that cloudy beer you are drinking? It looks like something is wrong with it. Here let me buy you one........ OMG what is this???....... Weihenstephaner :)
  4. WebGuyMike

WebGuyMike Member

Petrus Blond Belgian Pale Ale about a month or so ago. I never knew beer could be truly enjoyable. I don't think I've had the same beer twice since.

It's a far cry from the Miller Lite or Bud Light I drank before.
  5. dfclav

dfclav Member

TL;DR... :)

Old Rasputin

I know I have turned many people onto craft from Founders Breakfast Stout, though.
  6. rundocrun

rundocrun Member

May, 2010:
    Bells Third Coast Old Ale - I split a bottle with my roommate because I thought, "hell, if I'm going to pay $3.75 for a 12-oz bottle of beer, I'm going to get someone to split the cost with me."....If I only knew....

I bought a 6-pack the next day.
  7. michaeljstraub

michaeljstraub Member

June 2008:
    My girlfriend at the time ordered me a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout at a local bar.

I married that woman
  8. rundocrun

rundocrun Member

I just so happen to have a 2010 Three Philosophers in my cellar right now. Loved it when it was fresh. Excited to see what it's like with a few years on it.
  9. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Member

Rough Draft Emboozlement Tripel
  10. mpyoung215

mpyoung215 Member

Yuengling was my first good beer, but when I moved to Colorado in the mid 90s and had my first Fat Tire, I realized beer could be so much more
  11. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Member

I didn't have a "red pill" moment. As a little boy in Colorado in the early 70s I liked Coors. I moved around a lot and started trying a lot of beers, especially in the mid-late 70s during the beer can collecting craze. I started homebrewing when I was 17 in 1982, and that's what really turned me into a seeker of good beer. Back then the freshness of imports was really hit or miss, but I appreciated the good ones. I had Anchor Steam for the first time in the 80s in San Francisco - loved it. I could only get it fresh in San Francisco, and that was one of the things I liked about visiting the city. Started going to brew-pubs and brew festivals in the early nineties. It all just kind of evolved naturally - no big moment.
  12. StoopidFuture

StoopidFuture Member

2007 study abroad semester in Prague... changed beer for me. forever.
  13. jtg5678

jtg5678 Member

Pretty much as soon as I turned 21 and could buy my own beer, I started browsing craft. I think my first favorite beer was Newcastle. Don't really like it now though.
  14. theHoff77

theHoff77 Member

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. I had other craft beers before, but they were a little intimidating and couldn't appreciate them. Eddy Fitz just blew my mind. I liked it so much I ended up buying some other Great Lakes beers, and I bought some Two Hearted Ale in that same purchase. When I had the Two Hearted Ale it was basically game, set, match, and I haven't bought anything but craft since then.
  15. withoutfailbrewmaster

withoutfailbrewmaster Member

Goose Island BCBS December 2010. I decided for Christmas to give my father and father-in-law a self picked beer of the month for a year. The first beer i picked was BCBS because it was the highest priced 4 pack in the store -I had no idea what i was getting myself into...We shared the four pack before Christmas lunch and LOVED it. Forever changed the whole beer experience for me.
    VTMoondog likes this.
  16. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Member

Bud Platinum.
    michaeljstraub likes this.
  17. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Member

j/k about before... I'd say what got me into craft beer was a college liquor store in Grand Junction. They had a walk in cooler with sections for various countries across the globe. I started randomly trying german and belgian beers, as well as making mix packs of American stuff like flying dog and full sail. We also drank some Strongbow cider. I was always amazed at the Unibroue packaging but couldn't imagine paying 10 bucks for a four pack. Now, I regularly try to have some on hand :)
  18. megadethjohn

megadethjohn Member

I used to go for nothing but 30 cases of PBR. I'd get New Castle or something of the sort occasionally, but none of that stuff seemed worth the extra price. I was playing a gig at the Redline Tap in Chicago and had free drink tickets that worked for any kind of beer, so I ordered some Rogue Dead Guys Ale. It was good. Then the next weekend I was out at a bar and asked the bartender to get me a beer that would blow my mind. He served up some Abt 12. Mind was blown.
  19. ggwheeler

ggwheeler Member

So many of these posts make me feel like an old old man, and I'm in my thirties!

Ten years ago I got hooked on Boont Amber from Anderson Valley, and I still think its a great beer, and one of the best gateways into craft beer that exists. That was the beer that convinced me to learn about and try all kinds of beer.

The red pill was 2 years later. Stone 8th anniversary. That beer turned me inside out. One of my favorite beers ever made. I don't know how much was produced, but I know I single-handedly put a dent in the Los Angeles supply!
  20. BeerSocrates12

BeerSocrates12 Member

For me this was the first time I had Boulevard's Sixth Glass. I have some craft beer before and even like some of it but I could still take it or leave it. The first time I tried a Sixth Glass I was hooked. I had to find more of it. This was when I realized that beer can have character, body and truly be enjoyed with every sip. Craft beer was the world I had been looking for and it was in large part for an instant love of Sixth Glass. What craft beer was it that made you feel obsession for the first time?
    WassailWilly and Arodnum1 like this.
  21. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 Member

interestingly enough, when i got into craft beer my brother took me to a local bar that has an extensive selection of draft and imports, and he got me a sixth glass, i enjoyed it, then we went back to his house where he served me his one year aged sixth glass, it was exponentially improved with a bit of maturation, im currently aging a 4 pack of sixth glass, its a great aging quad
    BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  22. kevanb

kevanb Member

Tank 7 was one of the first beers I really fell in love with
    spinedocschabel likes this.
  23. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, that beer blew my mind.
    ant880 and squirrely2005 like this.
  24. alexipa

alexipa Member

The Beast. I had it in the tap room and had no idea beer could be that good. I then tried to find all the bottles around town I could and bought them, about 6.

About four months later I was up in a small ski town, went to the local liquor store and found about eight of them just sitting on a shelf. Bought four of them and told the cashier I was so happy/excited to find more of that great beer. When he looked at me strangely and didn't reply, I knew I was officially a beer geek.
    Jules11788 likes this.
  25. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 Member

I can relate with Tank 7; it caused a headfirst dive into craft brew. Weihenstehpaner Hefeweissbier was also a guilty party. Imagine how Saison Brett blew my mind months later.
  26. match1112

match1112 Member

Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Bought it because the label loooked like a pin up girl ( i really like those kind pics) and just really liked the beer and now I buy it quite often.
  27. JNauser

JNauser Member

My first love was La Folie, I had it on the brewery tour
    dt_gbpackersfan likes this.
  28. BeerSocrates12

BeerSocrates12 Member

I'll have to keep that in mind....I've considered buying 4 packs of each of the Smokestack series beers and aging them....I have a feeling Dark Truth stout would age pretty well. I also had my second crush on Ommegang Three Philosophers...
  29. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Member

It was the early/mid 1990's SN/Anchor/Sam/Brooklyn BCS... Ommegang Three Philosophers, Sam Smith's Taddy Porter/Imperial Stout, Unibroue Maudite! I still remember with each sip that beer didn't have to suck!
    2beerdogs likes this.
  30. BeerSocrates12

BeerSocrates12 Member

31. superspak

superspak Member

If we are talking about convert beers; I am going with Sam Adams Cream Stout. Became a favorite for quite a while.

When I got hardcore into craft in 2010, when my palate was still an infant to IPA(though I still tried them numerously); That would be Founders Breakfast stout.

My Belgian palate came quite a bit later on. Addicted to Saisons and Tripels now.
  32. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Member

New Glarus Moon Man sold me. I had tried Spotted Cow (which I enjoyed at first, but have since broke away from it, unless it's on tap) and Fat Squirrel (superb brown ale still today, but I didn't like brown ales at the time). Moon Man was my entry to the pale ale world, to hops, and to craft brews. I never looked back. I actively tried to avoid macros since that day, and now I am proud (snobbish, though it may be) that I have avoided macros for over six months. All BYOBs are now either SNPA or a similar, drinkable beer. I'm now a certifiable craft addict who dabbles in all styles and has a fridge and closet-cellar bursting with beer.
  33. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Member

St. Bernardus Abt. 12.
  34. Whimpers

Whimpers Member

We were out partying watching the USA world cup game and I saw "60 Minute IPA" and asked around " what is that!?" got no real answers as Sam Adams drinker I felt up to the task...and it was love from then onward. The first delicious sweet dank fresh hop sip left me deeply entwined with this new BEAUTIFUL maiden, I needed her, I NEEDED to know what made her so spectacular.

thus began my crush with 60 minute IPA...a crush still alive to this day.
    ( I cheated......and tried some other...crushes...)
  35. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 Member

i can assure you with many year and year and a half aged dark truths consumed they are amazing, probably my favorite everyday drinking RIS
  36. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Member

Main Street Brewing out of Dallas Tx back in 1995 released a Cinnamon Porter for Christmas
    Pretty sure that was what did it for me. All tho I was well on my before then but.....
    Too bad they are long gone now .
  37. HenrikO

HenrikO Member

Carnegie Vintage Porter 1986. Bought a box (then one of the last) in 1992, drank the last one in 1994. The first beer I loved like I wanted to marry it.
  38. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Belgian Quads. Initially Chimay, then seeking out more upon realizing how many great ones existed.

And Left hand Milk Stout. So tasty...even better now with the nitro thing going on....
  39. BeerSocrates12

BeerSocrates12 Member

too bad. I am excited for the new brewery push we've been seeing around the North Texas area as of the last 12 months...about 6 or 7...with maybe 5 more in the next 12 months.
  40. Localdrinklax

Localdrinklax Member

Surly Furious was my first crush, such a unique IPA that made me love IPAs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.