1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What was Your Matrix "Red pill" moment?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerMeFitz, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Much agreed with the nitro and stouts. In north TX there's a few locals that do very well on nitro. Lakewood's Temptress and Southern Star's Buried Hatchet are a couple of my favorites...
  2. wish we got that down here...I here plenty of good things about Surly
  3. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

No Label's Elda is an excellent one too.
    BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  4. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

My first beer love was Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. So smooth and so delicious.
    ant880 and 2beerdogs like this.
  5. NB Abbey Ale. Before this, which was about four years ago, I drank almost exclusively Coors Light. Seriously. Sometimes Banquet. Thanks for saving me from that life, New Belgium.
    Arodnum1 likes this.
  6. that is a solid oatmeal stout
  7. Left Hand Milk Stout. More specifically, the nitro version. But both are so dang good. It was love at first taste. Haha.

[​IMG]
    LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  8. This was "years" ago but my progression into hoppy American craft beer (was obsessed with Weihenstephaner and Schneiderweisse at the time...and still am...) --> Tupper's Hop Pocket (was brewed in Richmond, VA at the time) --> Victory Hop Devil --> FFF's Alpha King (which back then, we could get from my local distributor, Shangy's - that's since changed with the increased enthusiasm for craft beer).
  9. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Absolutely. I actually haven't had another oatmeal stout by another brewery because of this beer being my first beer crush. However, I did buy an oatmeal stout today. Though, I will always pledge allegiance to the awesomeness of the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. Crappy yellow label and all.
  10. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

Yeah man I love that stuff. It's a seriously underrated brew
  11. Resuin

Resuin Champion (770) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Victory Golden Monkey believe it or not. It was definitely JUST a crush.
  12. not too bad of a beer..not their best but, they can't all be winners.
    Resuin likes this.
  13. iggysoccer20

iggysoccer20 Disciple (55) Ohio May 11, 2011

Great Divide Titan. I was a Classics major in college so I was drawn to the name and the Classically themed artwork. It was with this beer that I discovered how much I loved the piney, citrusy hop flavor of an IPA. More IPAs followed and then pale ales and scotch ales and barleywines and on and on.
  14. Black Butte Porter. Just made me go "ahhhhh" like in the shitty BMC commercials. It's just so damn easy to drink!
    Side note, gotta love two guys with Opeth album covers as their profile pic posting right after the other. Fucking awesome.
  15. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

The first craft beer that I fell in love with was New Belgium Abbey. Don't know why, but it just hit the spot for me.
  16. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (575) Florida May 25, 2012

de Molen Hel & Verdoemonis. After having just one I bought 15 more at $10 each. Over the last couple of years I've had 5 and each was as good as the last. Everyday I talk myself out of drinking one more. Thankfully I have Moo-Hoo's and Chicory stouts to consume instead which makes it a bit easier.
  17. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

For me, Left Hand Milk Stout. It got me into Craft Beer. Haven't Had it in a year, but when I do... :D
  18. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Russian River Damnation. Not a fantastic beer, but easy to transition to and very eye opening for me personally. I didn't know a beer could have such depth and refined character until I drank that. Which may be unexpected, because I had a Bourbon County Brand Stout the same night and disregarded it.
  19. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Anchor Porter for me. I tried Stone IPA before but I was still a craft noob and my palate wasn't ready for all the hops.
  20. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I picked my username for a reason.
  21. Avery - Samael's!
  22. The original recipe of Monks Blood.. came out in 2009. Amazing. Its a shadow of its former self now.
  23. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

It was a fresh blonde German hottie her name was Weihenstaphaner. :)
  24. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Had a lot of flirtations with English Ales, but Chimay Blue was my first crush.
  25. DFH 90 Minute.
  26. Fat Tire, around 2001. Boy things have changed a lot since then.
  27. I have a soft spot for this one too. One the first bombers I got after my beer awakening, a Christmas gift from my wife who teased I look like the guy on the bottle.
  28. Flying Dog Gonzo IP. I still love this stuff.
  29. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

For me, it was my gateway beer... Chimay Gran Reserve. you never forget your first time.
  30. Allagash White
    Sam Adams Winter Lager
    Ipswich Pale Ale
  31. I actually had the good fortune of growing up with a father who drank good beer. He was a very early fan of Sam Adams, for example. Consequently, there was never any BMC, etc in my house. Once I was 21, my first purchase was a mixed sixer with DFH 60 Minute, Victory Prima Pils, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog, etc.
  32. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

Let me start this with; I had quit drinking for a long time before I was at a picnic where a friend of mine had brought many craft beers which I sampled, the last one he brought out was Dark Lord and I was blown away! I've been hooked ever since.
  33. I don't think I ever truly had a "red pill moment." It was more of a natural progression over the years. It all started with Busch Lite in my younger days. From there it was all up hill. Some friends got me hooked on Yuengling and then Guinness. From there I branched out on my own with some Samuel Adams seasonals to my first Chimay and then onto the rest.

Now I frown a bit when I go to a BBQ and only see Coors Lite in the cooler.
  34. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

I was 17 and her name was Two Hearted. We got drunk together after school one Friday and have been in love ever since, of course there is hoppier, bigger, higher octane beers- but none as delicious as that elusive fish.
  35. May 1994, All American Bar & Grill, Rio Hotel, Las Vegas. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
  36. romwarrior

romwarrior Zealot (75) California Sep 14, 2010

For me it was La Fin du Monde.
  37. I had been into craft beer for a while sticking mostly to hoppy stuff like Bell's Two Hearted and Dale's Pale Ale, but in June of 2010 I had Bourbon County for the first time ever and my eyes were opened to a whole new world of beer. Shortly thereafter I had Russian River Consecration and my fate was sealed.
    VTMoondog likes this.
  38. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

39. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (260) New York Aug 15, 2012

My younger years I was a big fan of the Mich Light golf cans and drank that alot. Tried Sam Adams Boston lager one day and was hooked. After that it was Sam Adams or higher end beers for a while. Went to a beerfest 2 year ago and was blown away by some IPA's (Lakefront, Goose Island etc), next day went to a Bev Center and the guy behind the counter recommended Stone IPA. Since then its been IPA almost exclusively, tried over 75 different ones this year alone.
  40. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

1989 right after Goose Island brewpu opened. I worked about a mile away and my boss took us there once a week for planning meetings. It was their Maibock. Then they started an MBA deal where you got a punch card and had to try all their beer plus seasonals over a years time and you received your MBA sweatshirt!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.