1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

What was Your Matrix "Red pill" moment?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerMeFitz, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Docrock

Docrock Member

Same here, I go to the next cooler over and have a water! It's about the same with less calories.
    squirrely2005 and cruzmissile72 like this.
  2. Docrock

Docrock Member

Your post reminds me of how much I miss my Dad and what he went through for me. I collected beer cans and would go to the liquor store with my Dad. He let me pick out the beers based on what I wanted/needed for the collection. He suffered through them all! Anybody here ever hear of "Old Frothingslosh"? It was described as, "The stale Pale Ale with the foam on the bottom" and had images of large women in swimsuits on the cans.
  3. bradcochran1234

bradcochran1234 Member

Senior year of high school, St. Bernardus Abt. 12 or Sweetwater Festive Ale. Can't remember which one was first but both were within weeks of each other around this time of year.
  4. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Member

1998 (English friend) had Tetleys + Old Speckled Hen. First non-BMC brews.
    The floodgates opened up after that visit. ;)
  5. cruzmissile72

cruzmissile72 Member

To quote Starhawk--It was a gradual joyful process...I was all about MGD in my early 20s and thought I was drinking real beer while buddies poured Coors Light (scared water I call it) down their gullets. Living in the UK certainly helped but I don't remember an epiphany. Eventually I realized life is too short to drink shitty beer.

Now I look forward to going to beervana when I try new stuff like NEBCO Gandhi Bot or Premeditated Murder. Old Raspy on draft, FBS, Narwhal or even a perfectly pulled pint of Guinness. Thank you beer gods for rescuing me...
  6. Vivs85

Vivs85 Member

Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen weisse.... ON TAP. About 5 years ago. Never looked back
  7. Compton25

Compton25 Member

Shiner 96.. which is now their Oktoberfest. First of many new styles for me.
  8. ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop Member

Two beers clearly paved the way for my new found OCD towards great beer.
    1. Zombie Dust- The first non crappy beer I drank. Thought it was great but still didnt completely land me on the whole craft beer scene.

2. Hunahpu- Buddy brought this over and after I drank that I was hooked and wanted to join the hunt for awesome brews!
  9. daysinthewake

daysinthewake Member

I was never a bmc drinker, but Parabola and smoked porters were what really ignited everything for me.
  10. JBatman

JBatman Member

Hop...

...Slam.
  11. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Member

Redhook in early 90"s at a house party at Squaw Valley. Had no idea what it was (just moved from East Coast) and was drinking BMC at the time. The label was so different, I had to try it.
  12. kemoarps

kemoarps Member

I had Old Rasputin over christmas break one year. At first (as I was drinking it), I was a little overwhelmed.
    Over the coming months, however, it haunted my drinking.
    Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout was the one that really pushed it over the edge for me though.

Thank you to Liquorama in Upland for helping me grow that curiosity into a passion
  13. BeerMePlze

BeerMePlze Member

Mad Hatter, must have been 2004... it was glorious! I haven't had it in a while now that there are so many options out there, but now that I'm reminiscing so fondly I think I know what I'll be drinking tonight...
  14. My father brewed for Spinnakers in Victoria in the mid 80s and I still remember the taste of their Xmas Ale that had been sitting in a keg in the garage since early December ( I probably drank some on my birthday on Dec 21). It had aged in the keg and was amazing. That changed my view of beer from the sixes of Rainier that I drank at house parties. ( Rainier and Olympia was dumped on the BC market in mid 80s for about $5 a six until the Canadian big brewers shut it down )
  15. ballenc

ballenc Member

Beer: Schmaltz's Alt from Schells
    Date: Early 1990s (probably around 1992-93)
    I was working two really crappy jobs and one of them was the night shift at the local newpaper printing and distributing the USA Today. The group I worked with was a real bunch of misfits. One in particular looked like Charles Manson and hardly spoke to anyone. But something he and I had in common was drinking beer and professional wrestling. One night out of the blue he gives me a mixed six pack of beers and it includes a bottle of Schmaltz's Alt along with some James Page and other local craft brews. The alt was the first true "dark" beer I ever had and it blew my mind. That beer started me down the road of appreciating craft beer and permanently moving away from BMC.
  16. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Member

Late-90's: I was about ten years old and took a sip of my mother's Woodchuck Granny Smith Cider. Not a beer, of course, but I remembered asking why people liked Yuengling and Coors when Woodchuck was so good. In my late teens, I learned about Samuel Smiths, so my first great beer was Taddy Porter. Never really spent time drinking big names, because of that time I tasted Woodchuck.
  17. Bills453

Bills453 Member

My moment happened when I was a Junior in college in 07. I walked into a store that some summerwork coworkers would go to and saw a wonderful purple, gold, and orange looking bottle sitting on the edge of one of the counters. Bought it, drank it. Young's Double Chocolate Stout changed me for the better...and the poorer.
  18. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Member

My path to the "pill" was a road well-traveled. MGD, to Guinness, to Newcastle, to XX. Then, one day I found myself in Wonderland and took a left turn. There, I found two "pills"- Gumballhead and DFH 60 minute IPA. I took both and my journey has never been the same. Gotta get that Mad Hatter now that I think about it.
  19. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Member

Natty Light-->Bud Light-->Amstel Light-->Guinness-->Blue Moon/Bass/Newcastle...

But the 'red pil' moment was soon after this, with Black Sheep's Special Ale and Riggwelter...since you can't get 'em even close to fresh here anymore, and Jamil interviewed the brewer who willingly gave up the recipe for Riggy...now I brew 'em (or at least damn close). Still, both times I've been to England (and every future trip), Black Sheep is a must-stop. Damn I love their beers...
  20. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

DFH 90 minute

That being said I never enjoyed the AALs and thus didn't drink more than the occasional craft beer. But after thinking about homebrewing forever, drinking a DFH 90 minute pushed me over the edge and now I'm happily exploring the world of craft beer.
  21. jrnyc

jrnyc Member

My craft beer career started circa summer 2010. Before that I drank Heineken almost exclusively. Ok, dont kick me off BA for this admission. Bu then I had a Harpoon IPA, was very unique to me, that wasn't what launched me int o craft, but I liked the taste, had never had an IPA before. My brother-in-law sent me a list of beers to try, all of them craft. I went on a treasure hunt and landed Green Flash West Coast IPA. The flavor was so unique to me, I was hooked. I am now a true hop-head. Will always have a warm spot in my heart for Green Flash.
  22. ILikePike

ILikePike Member

Well sir, my parents both drink decent beer. My mom loves here Rogue and Guinness beers and my dad likes Copper Hook, Alaskan Winter and Fat Tire. So growing up I had to steal from them when I wanted beer so I grew up as a beer snob.

But as far as craft beers, my dad bought me an Arrogant Bastard some five years ago. Though it was a bit rough at first, it grew on me. Its not my favorite beer in the world(Mac N Jacks is :D) but it opened my eyes to a broader spectrum of beer.
  23. BlowstotheBody

BlowstotheBody Member

I used to be straight edge, not out of priciple, but because every alcoholic beverage I'd tried didn't taste good to me. Then I decided I could drink Michelob Amberbock because it wasn't offensive, so I had one on occasion if out with friends, but still would rarely consume. One day I picked up a St. Peter's Cream Stout out of curiosity and because I thought it was a cool bottle. I drank it and actually liked it, blew my mind that not all beer tasted like Corona. At this point I was curious and my next stop at the shop, I picked up a Brooklyn Local 2 because of the cool bottle. I fell in love and haven't looked back since. This was in June 2009.
  24. ILikePike

ILikePike Member

mmm Matrix not Alice in Wonderland lol. Oh well, Dos Equis is pretty damn good, what I order everytime I go to a mexican resturaunt with chips n salsa and tacos.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  25. Bung

Bung Member

SN Pale and Double Diamond. In the basement of J. Gardella's tavern GR Mich. Circa 1997.
  26. bonercity

bonercity Member

La Fin Du Monde. I bought it along with some other Unibroue beers because of the awesome artwork on them. They are still among my favorite breweries.
  27. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Member

Even before I was 21 I was interested in trying different beers. A few months after I turned 21 I tried an Old Rasputin. I had good beer before that but Old Raspy was the one that pushed me over into the world of beer.
  28. bradwalrus

bradwalrus Member

you guys shouldn't mix pills with alcohol. :confused:
  29. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Member

Still trying to find the right ratio. I can't get this giant weasel to stop hovering over me.
    bradwalrus likes this.
  30. CummingsK21

CummingsK21 Member

Through college I had been drinking Guiness and different offerings from Sam Adams but the pill scenario occurred at the University of Chicago Pub with a pitcher of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I think everyone can relate to the situation where Christmas Ale has never quite lived up to what it was that evening.
  31. CosmicTom

CosmicTom Member

Had a Duck-Rabbit Milk stout and Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout in the same sitting and that compelled me to realize there was more than fizzy yellow wussy beer as Greg Koch would say.

FBS propelled me into it.
  32. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Member

Sophomore year of college (04) went from southpaw etc. then had a sweet Georgia brown. And it has been an expensive but beautiful uphill spiral since.
  33. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Member

1984 - a girl friend was house sitting a professor's house at IU Bloomington and invited me over to hang out and watch a movie. When I got there she said they has some beer in the fridge and to feel free to grab one. I had drank a lot of really cheap keg beer up until that time and had occasionally drank a Guinness Stout or Lowenbrau, but on that fateful day I reached in and grabbed a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. I freaked. It was beautiful. It was like a full meal in a bottle. It was thick and deliicious. The next day I ran to Big Red and was shocked at the cost, but I broke down and bought my own sixer. I never went back to buying cheap beer. I would drink it at a party, but I would never again buy it. One of my house mates would come to the liquor store with me and say, "ya know, Mike, you could get a whole case of Wisconsin Club for what you are going to pay for that 6 pack of Sammy." And I would say, "yeah, but I like beer aged in a Yorkshire Square, not on a truck."
  34. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Member

LOL . . . I realized that as I was typing. Then I thought, it's all good. Both stories are a total head trip. I get a Dos Equis or Newcastle whenever I'm at the local wing place.
  35. Azzy

Azzy Member

looks like my path, same exact beers too lol
    asustevo likes this.
  36. Jaru1026

Jaru1026 Member

My dad bought me a Ommegang Gift pack for X-Mas I never looked back. Still wish Chocolate Indulgence came in single 750's!
  37. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Member

I can't remember a straight "epiphany" moment, but much of the process probably had to do with Newcastle and Stone IPA.
  38. nathanso

nathanso Member

Stone IPA on tap, selected "brand unknown' a few years ago while waiting for my wife at the bar of a local seafood restaurant. Since then I've moved up to Ruination and always keep a collection of DIPA and TIPA bombers on-hand, and have made two pilgrimages to Stone in Escondido (from SF Bay Area).
  39. canuck

canuck Member

New Holland Dragon's Milk. I couldn't believe what I was drinking. I really thought it was a cold hot chocolate.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  40. jroberge1981

jroberge1981 Member

Well, it feels like this is a reasonable thread to make my first post in after lurking for a long time. Basically, I started dabbling in the Magic Hats and Sam Adams of the world during college (early '00s) and really started getting into craft when I moved down to NC a few years later.

The real red pill moment was me being a lucky bastard who got to spend two weeks in Belgium on a business trip. One of the engineers over there made it a personal mission to have me try as many of his favorite beers as possible - he wrote down about 20 for me to look out for and his company was awesome at taking me out to find them. After Westmalle Dubbel in Oudenaarde, Rochefort 10 in Brugge, and a Westy 12 in Ghent, I was hooked! My wallet really hated returning to the US after that trip, but I've never looked back.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.