1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What will be the "Breakout Brewery" from your area in 2014?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Biff_Tannen, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Savant (300) Missouri Dec 8, 2013

Meaning, on a national level. I will go first...from around here, it has to be 4 Hands Brewery. They've really made a name for themselves in Missouri, but in a few weeks will be opening up in Chicago. This should bring them a whole new level of exposure that should catapult them to the next level. They have really begun to hit their stride with a good foundation of core beers, regular seasonals, and a top notch barrel aging program. It seems like they are really primed to take off in 2014.

2. Thomas creek is building their expansion and already have 4 120 barrel fermenters added. Should kick production up quite a bit. And they are finally adding a tasting room.

3. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

From what I have heard 4 Hands is a great choice, their labels are as straight and centered as anyone in the game.

;)

4. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Not many Denver/Boulder/Ft. Collins area breweries are really set up to make a run at the national scene. The ones that are have already done it. Funkwerks and Dry Dock are the only ones I can guess that have the production capabilities to handle distribution outside of a few states. Prost has the brewing capabilities but no packaging. Epic kinda counts although I still consider them a Utah brewer for the most part.

CJS262 likes this.
  5. bocky24

bocky24 Aficionado (180) Iowa Apr 10, 2013

In 2013 Toppling Goliath took IA/MN/WI by storm. 2014..........the world!

Berg77, TonyJ815, VonZipper and 19 others like this.
  6. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Brickstone Brewing. It's an hour south of the city and has a couple GABF golds already. They are expanding during 2014 from what I hear. I also was able to get a couple bottles of their BA stout. Haven't tried it yet, but will review it when I do.

Modernrickk likes this.
  7. Not really national in the sense of availability, but Cellarmaker Brewing in San Francisco will really put itself on the map in 2014. I imagine them as the west coast version of Tired Hands in the way they will be seen nationally.

BSW, Gingermanstv, KevSal and 2 others like this.
  8. First bottles coming durring SF Beer Week. Everything I've had from them is killer.

9. Indeed Brewing get my vote in MN but to the south of us this one will rule Toppling Goliath from Iowa

10. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Exactly. Heard good things about the high level of quality control on packaging. No way to over-estimate the importance! Beers are very nice as well.

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  11. Yea every one I have had from them so far has been impressive especially the hoppy stuff. Really looking forward to that SF beer week Saison you mentioned!

PerHops likes this.
  12. 1987GN

1987GN Initiate (0) California Nov 22, 2013

Trying to hit their brewery this weekend, along with a few others.

Is Taco Hands any good?

Side Note: Excited for SF Beer week!

13. Taco Hands is sold out and it is one of the few I didn't get to the brewery to try...however the current IPA offering Cage Free is exceptional IMO, and last night I brought home a growler of Coffee and Cigarettes.

1987GN likes this.
  14. Ace_of_Suds

Ace_of_Suds Savant (255) New York Nov 12, 2013

New England Brewing Co.

15. Both Carton and Kane breweries from Central/South Jersey are doing a lot of good things both beer and overall reputation-wise. Once they can get a good distribution outside of draft-only, growler fills, and the occasional shipment of cases they're going to be a hit (on the east coast at least).

16. Isley Brewing in Richmond, VA. They came out running and I bet they'll do something really special this first year.

ZachKelly likes this.
  17. MattXT

MattXT Advocate (630) Massachusetts Nov 23, 2010

With plans for canning Julius, the only answer for me is Tree House Brewing. Granted, it won't be national disty but easier for it to travel cross country.

DerekMorgan, rjp217, twizzard and 5 others like this.
  18. 1987GN

Thanks for the Rec.

Any other good brewery in SF to hit up tomm? I have a bud visiting from Socal and I already took him to RRB and Lagunitas. I've been wanting to go to Cellarmaker for a while now. What else should we hit?

19. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

When I read the title for this thread, 4 Hands is who I immediately thought of. I'm with you, I think that they're gonna bust out in '14.

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  20. Speakeasy, though its a little out of the way. 21st Amendment is not far from Cellarmaker. But...if you are willing to hit the east bay, I would recommend going to Drakes...yes its in a Walmart parking lot, and yes you have to drive there, but I think its worth it.

jmgrub and 1987GN like this.
  21. 1987GN

Thanks for the info. I live near Oakland, so Drakes will be easy to hit.

I think we'll try for Cellarmaker, Speakeasy, and 21st Amendment.

22. Treehouse Brewery in Monson, Ma. I've yet to try any of their beer, but the New England forum seems to enjoy their beer very much and I hope to soon make my way over to their new place.

23. Shhhh...dont tell anyone

24. GuitarIPA

GuitarIPA Savant (390) Connecticut Mar 24, 2013

Since Ace_of_Suds already said, "New England Brewing" (they need to make Galaxy regularly available - so good), I'll add Relic Brewing. Go CT.

Robtobfest and Mersh like this.
  25. Has DC Brau broke out yet? If not, then them. And, if Bluejacket bottles, then them (even over DC Brau).

Robtobfest likes this.
  26. Haw River's going to be doing big things in 2014.

DWheeler379, mechamifune and LE_FEESH like this.
  27. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Seconded. Drakes is my favorite brewery in the bay area. Better than anything you can find in the city AFAIC.

On another note, keep an eye out for LA's Phantom Carriage next year and beyond. They just signed a lease on space in Carson and will no longer be sharing space with Monkish. From my understanding, it's going to be all wilds, which will be a first for the LA area. They have only released one beer so far (a brett blond called Muis), but it was very solid.

Modernrickk likes this.
  28. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Prairie Artisan Ales have been making some noise.

29. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Savant (405) New York Nov 20, 2008

Abandon Brewing Company here in Upstate NY. Just opened up a month or so ago and have already dabbled in the barrel aging side of things.

squack likes this.
  30. The need to come back to MA, fuck national.

If the canning of Julius happens, shit will go down.

31. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (355) Italy Apr 19, 2009

I hope there will be a breakout brewery in my area in 2014, but with the way most have set themselves up with regards to pricing marketing et cetera I'm not sure I see it happening. There is a little place I have some hope for but we'll have to see how things unfold.

2beerdogs likes this.
  32. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I agree with this, though don't think Funkwerks has the capacity to go all that much bigger. Right now they are just Colorado, Nebraska, and Arizona. Perhaps they open up to a few more states in good time, but don't see national in the works any time soon. Especially not without further expansion.

33. You'd think the first thing a brewery does is establish some great flagship regularly brewed ales when they open up shop...not barrel age.

34. That was one of the first that came to my mind. Not a whole lot to choose from here in CT.

puboflyons likes this.
  35. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Savant (290) Oklahoma Aug 10, 2013

I would love to see Rough Tail make some gains in production and at the same time up their quality a bit, because the Pumpkin Porter was amazing but the rest of their porfolio is kind of flat.

I love Prairie beers, but I'm still pissed that we don't get the distribution we deserve in Oklahoma since we're the ones that started spreading the word. I wish they would only distro to the SW region and leave the rest of the country out in the cold.

36. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

While 4 Hands beers are generally average with some very gross; they do have pretty amazing labels and designs.

My pick locally is Pipeworks. Maine Brewing nationally has been very good with the few I've tried.

Kevin_Young and blue-dream like this.
  37. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Karben4 will be in its second year and should start bottling beer in Madison, WI. They have put out some great beer and I can't wait to have more access to it. This will be a very, very good thing!

Benish and Hendrick24 like this.
  38. BrewUSA

BrewUSA Aficionado (200) Ohio May 30, 2013

I was just asking about Wicked Weed. I don't know about a national level... However, their future looks bright.

Halluxone likes this.
  39. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Nah
    nah, we gotta share the wealth, brother. :)

Bosoxfan20 likes this.
  40. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (410) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Saw the post, and they instantly came to mind.
    [​IMG]
    I really hope they're planning on bringing back Resurrection and War Hammer.. :(