1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What will it take for a grey monday?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Jtc2811, Feb 8, 2013.

1. I swore I wouldn't be this guy, but I've put up a few ISO for grey Monday with no luck, and I am trying to see what I am missing. I've offered all the BCBS variants from this year, coffee from last year, event horizon, FW stuff (Venn diagram issue I know, but I thought it could sweeten the deal), and anything I can lay my hands on in the midatlantic. No bites. What will it take?

2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Nothing you mentioned is in the same league as GM as far as availability goes. If that is your best ammo expect to have to make a package deal at well over $4$ and even then you are hoping for a miracle.

Good luck!
    [​IMG]

3. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

The problem with Grey Monday is that each Reserve Society member only got one bottle in place of a piece of merchandise that was supposed to come with membership. Because of this most members either are going to drink it or want something of equal rarity for it.

4. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

For me, it took 1 x Cherry Rye + 1 x Black Note (750ml) + 1 x Fifteen for Grey Monday plus (at the time) unspecified extras which quickly turned into awesome extras by a great trader.

5. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Rare seems to 1:1 them.

6. Krumb

Krumb Savant (290) Texas Jan 30, 2008

Stratos riding a whale?

gklover1 and MordorMongo like this.
  7. Damn. I was afraid of this. Thanks for the input!

8. I would trade mine for a few sours from Cascade(or some of the other breweries that have put out good fruited sours lately) that I haven't had.

9. Just a heads up, Grey Monday is going to be released again this year to Reserve Society members, so depending on what the allocation ends up being (I'm guessing 2-3?), it should be a little easier to trade for after the re-release.

10. evilc

Batch 1 is the Uber rare mega whale though. See BT and CR.

jglowe77 likes this.
  11. MordorMongo

Hahahahahaha

jglowe77 likes this.
  12. evilc

:)

13. You can't go 4$ with GM since it was never for sale. It was allotted to RS members instead of a 2nd piece of merchandise.

14. That's good news. The ultimate goal is a horizontal tasting of BT, CR, GM, and WC. Obviously I don't need to be in a huge hurry to et them all, so I can wait until the next release.

15. evilc

Wow that's even better than "this beer will never be made again" when talking KHU's.

16. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Anyone else think the guy on the whale looks like Mumm-Ra?
    [​IMG]

17. I traded my GM for 2 x 4 packs of Black Note. Obviously could have done better but I am good.

Jnorton00 likes this.
  18. Comedy

19. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Need to add Melange 1, Melange 3, and Tart of Darkness. ;)

20. I traded mine away for a Damon and BA decadence 2010. The taster I had at the RS barrel party is probably all I'll ever need of that boozy oily sludge. Still, I'm not surprised people are holding onto theirs so tightly since its existence as a BT variant elevates its status to absurd heights regardless of how it actually tastes. Plus, it is one of the few whales to hit the southern California coast in some time, so it's understandable people are suddenly greenpeacing these things.

If you want to experience GM without the pain of trading for one, just pour a shot of moonshine into BT, conjure a sense of ultra rareness in the air, and you'll be good to go.

fiedler84 likes this.
  21. evilc

I don't get the Bruery stuff. I think it's all nasty. I joined the RS though so I can trade for my precious, precious BCBS and variants as needed.

22. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

I traded away 2 4 packs of Black Note to acquire my GM, so this is a trade that has been done more than once. Both sides were happy with the trade and we both got some nice extras as well.

MaltMilkshake likes this.
  23. They have like 4 phenomenal beers (BT, CR, BA Anni series, Melange 3), many average, and a bunch of dogs. Its nice to have at least one craft brewery in So Cal that does not produce hoppy beers.

fullmetal1381 likes this.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

God I love Melange #3. They accidentally gave me 7 M3 instead BB4CB. At first I was annoyed, then I tasted them. Best mistake ever.

25. The BA 4CB is stellar, though - delicious bourbony gingerbread in a bottle. Not that I'm contesting the deliciousness of M3, which is one of the best beers in the world. Also, you can buy M3 practically year round at the bruery, so you may want to call them out on the error, unless you tried BA 4CB and didn't like it, of course.

26. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Don't forget Mother Funker! :D (and no, I'm not being sarcastic)

stxSS07 likes this.
  27. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

Trading a GM for Upright Fantasia + Logsdon Peche 'n Brett

28. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Putting Mother Funker in the same list as the other 4 beers mentioned would be like saying Weedle is on point with Charizard, Blastoise, Dragonite, and Mewtwo.

29. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

With me? Please? ;)

30. My question would be how long till the Hazelnut aspect of it just goes completely away?

31. MordorMongo

I will jump in my time machine and report back ASAP!

32. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Traded 1414, Fifteen, black note 750ml, BA hifi, and BA big sound for one. Hoping its "worth" it! (Thanks Alex!)

33. Auracom

Auracom Savant (300) Illinois Nov 5, 2010

They gave the wax that hazelnut aroma for a reason ;).

domtronzero likes this.
  34. It was never evident in the first place. If you had random people, even craft beer aficionado types like RS members, sample this beer blindly before there was ever word that a hazelnut version existed, and asked them to name what was added to the beer to render it a variant of regular Black Tuesday, I doubt that few, if any, would have fingered hazelnuts as the culprit.

Which isn’t to say that the bruery can’t do BT variants successfully. Peanutbutter bals, for example, was pretty amazing and evidenced actual flavor of the special ingredient they added.

JustXBeer likes this.
  35. Wow, are you sure that wasn't Charlie Sheen you traded with?

franklinn, nrs207, JulianB and 2 others like this.
  36. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

:p it's alright, it's only beer.

37. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Glad you got the 1.21 gigawatt issue all fixed up. Bring me back some of that '14 Darkness....have a pre-trade I just set up for a '16 BA Abraxas.

38. Holy shitballs.

39. MordorMongo

What the

ASUBeer likes this.
  40. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

Already underway, sorry :(