1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

what will it take to trade for BCS Rare

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by jsm1289, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

I know the standard knowledge is that anyone with rare probably also has vanilla/coffee/regular/cherry rye etc. But other than that, what would it take to trade for rare. Is it simply a matter of $4$ ? Thanks!

2. Rare sours, Black Tuesday 09, BA Dark Lord, BA Huna, etc. are good places to start.

3. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'm guessing not $4$ and your left nut.

4. I think a combo of the other Bourbon County Variants might get it done... I know I'd give mine up for Vanilla, Cherry Rye, Coffee, Bramble & 4 pack of regular BCBS in a heartbeat.

Really just depends on what you're willing to part with... I gave a Chocolate Rain & King Henry for mine...

5. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

interesting, thanks for the tip

6. dujayhawk

dujayhawk Aficionado (135) Kansas Aug 8, 2011

Just traded about $60 of Hill Farmstead for one

7. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (460) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

It has taken me around 2x $4$ recently in limited beer, but usually I have gotten the $4$ evened out in semi limited stuff. As an example I traded a CR, a '10BT, and '12 BT for a Rare and a bunch of good Chicago beers and was very happy with the trade. That offer got 3 responses BTW, so it wasn't like my inbox blew up. Good luck!

8. black13

black13 Savant (420) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

I traded one not too long ago for a KH and 2 4-packs of BCS.

9. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Shelf stuff/growlers or rare stuff?

10. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

1. Click here

2. Start BM'ing people and ask.

11. darienm

darienm Aficionado (140) Illinois Apr 23, 2010

As someone who is sitting on a couple of Rare's and has had them enough times that I don't need to again, I'm actively pondering the exact opposite of the OP's question: What do I want for these? Some things that popped into my mind include: Avery Meretrix, DuClaw Divine Retribution, Cantillon Don Quijote, some Kuhnhenn meads and a few other once-and-gone's that I really enjoyed. Not sure I'd ever trade for a vast quantity of any shelf beer personally, but that's just because my tastes run all over the place and are subject to spontaneous changes in direction.

12. This. I have done it as well. Glad ya landed one!

tacosandbeer, Bluecane and dujayhawk like this.
  13. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I traded a Rare + cost-matching for a 3L of Temptation a couple of weeks ago (in person).

SpdKilz and bauermj like this.
  14. So then, Rare is finally a certified whalr?

15. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

And I'm buying/giving you beer next time I see you...for the extras.

16. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

You don't owe me anything, dude... I feel like you were plenty generous in agreeing to that trade. Thanks! Hopefully I'll make it to the DIPA fest to say hey.

hophead247 likes this.
  17. dujayhawk

dujayhawk Aficionado (135) Kansas Aug 8, 2011

5 self saisons, and a twilight of the idols.

18. Bluecane

Thanks! I guess it's not unreasonable to include in my ISO when I head up to VT (and NY and MA) in March, then. Maybe a couple of buddies want to chip in -- I could do $15 or so for a 5.5oz pour.

19. Are you sure of that? I wasent aware it was going for beers that big...

20. I realized reading that post after the fact it doesn't quite come off the right way. "Rare sours" should have probably been something like "limited sours" (so not some rare Cantillon or anything), and "good places to start" makes it sound like you'd have to add to the beers I named, which wasn't the intention (you'd certainly have to add to Rare for something like a Vanilla DL, for instance).

21. Well hit cbc or hobo for a beer I did call you grumpy or something right?

22. You also hooked me up with a Rare for $4$ BCBS + some solid extras. I still owe you more for that.....my tasting group fell silent when I pulled the bottle out and surprised them with it next to one other guy's Vanilla. You are a saint in my eyes! haha

Arbitrator likes this.
  23. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

My tasting group came together and recently traded for one for 4x HotD AftW's.

I also traded for one for a Snake River Le Serpent Cerise (plus $$ matching).

jbuddle likes this.
  24. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

That sounds like a totally reasonable and fair exchange.

25. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It's dumb, but this might be the easiest way to get HF. Im probably going to post a FT (and add if necessary) but look for Isabelle Proximus. If I can't make that work, HF is the default.

26. Bluecane

Maybe, but sounds good to me! Not sure what CBC and Hobo are, though, since I don't think you mean Columbus Brewing Company or a homeless person.

27. I'm going up to HF tomorrow...just saying..

aasher likes this.
  28. would anybody trade a Rare for 2 bottles of CW15 and something else pretty good like a bcbs coffee or something similar? or is that not enough from my end? i don't have much to offer but i would absolutely love to try Rare. i never got the chance, and would do anything for one.

i have a growler of baudoinia, a cherry, a coffee, and bcs12. i'm hoping to trade for a king henry soon. i would love to do a side by side tasting with all brews mentioned.

i was just sort of thinking out loud as i am new to BA trading scene.

i have to be honest, 2012 BCBS was my favorite beer of the year. i probably drank my way through a case as soon as it came out.

29. shuajw

shuajw Savant (495) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

I'd give one up for a Pappy Van Winkle 15 :)
    It's probably the only way I'd ever get a hold of a 15 :(

aasher likes this.
  30. half a BA abraxas

31. stx00lax

stx00lax Savant (265) Washington Dec 27, 2009

Thanks again!

32. I would probably trade a rare for a pair of vanilla bourbon county plus solid beers to make up the approximate $25 cost difference. Wish I could get 3 bottles of vanilla for a bottle of rare, but I just dont see that being a realistic trade that would actually happen.