1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What would be a good weekend beer fest to go to?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Jan 6, 2013.

1. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (315) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

I live in Illinois- but I am willing to travel (drive or fly) somewhere for a weekend to go to a beer festival. What is your favorite beer fest that is pretty well organized, lots to taste, not too expensive, and just a great time?
  2. Brewvival in Charleston, SC! This year it's February 23.

I think it's a great beer festival with lots to offer. Tix last year were $50 and were well worth it. Most breweries brought some rare offerings, gave generous pours, and had brewers or reps pouring the beer so you could talk to them about their products. We got a nice tasting glass to take home, too. This year, tickets are $65 but I think they're promising more beer and significantly less people (1000 less I think). As there were some overcrowding problems in some rare beer lines and the food lines, $15 for less people would be well spent.

Also while you're in Charleston, you could visit Charleston Beer Exchange (one of the best beer stores I've ever been to), some nice beer bars like Closed for Business, and one or more of the 4 local breweries around here.

You can check out brewvival.com for more info and to see beers of years past.
    rjknyy likes this.
  3. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Great Lakes Brewfest in Racine Wisconsin is a damn good one as well. I believe its in August.
  4. rjknyy

rjknyy Savant (255) Georgia Nov 7, 2009

I'll second Brewvival, I cannot wait.
    BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  5. joeseppy

joeseppy Savant (285) Illinois Oct 20, 2012

Two Brothers Hop Juice Festival @ the Roundhouse in Aurora, Ill. Look for it around June. Very affordable with option for VIP tasting. Food was decent. Last year saw the Freddy Jones Band and the Hop Juice Black was exceptional. Difficult to find Hop Juice retail, though local stores sold limited btls. Will go again this year.
  6. bird22

bird22 Savant (405) California Jan 2, 2011

7. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

I have high hopes for the 1st Rhode Island Brew Fest on Feb 2. in Pawtucket. Not just because there down the street from me but they will have New Englands best and Pawtuckets newest breweries, Foolproof and Bucket Brewery. Foolproof just opened and Bucket has a Coffee Milk Stout you must try. Coffee Milk you ask? Its a Rhode Island thing.
  8. Belgium comes to Cooperstown
    At the Brewery Ommegang
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  9. National home brewers conference.

I've been to pretty much every big beer fest there is and none have ever topped this. There is just something special about a metric ton of brewers all getting together and trying to impress each other. It's divided into 3 nights- pro brewer night, home brewer night, and a beer dinner. The city it is in changes annually, but it is always worth it. Where else would you find vinnie from Russian river chugging the last bit out of a 6L temptation bottle?
  10. When is that one?
  11. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  12. I second the FW Invitational Beer Fest. Great breweries and great food. The way all beer fests should really be done.
  13. 1st weekend in August usually
  14. Vermont Brewer's Festival is loads of fun. Awesome people, awesome venue, awesome food, awesome town and above all awesome beer! Two words: Heady Topper.

Also, the Belgian Beerfest that BA puts on was a blast.
  15. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

16. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Great Taste of the Midwest - Madison, WI in August.
  17. bamadog

bamadog Savant (405) Kentucky Oct 21, 2008

I really enjoyed FoundersFest. Granted, it's only Founders brew there, but the HopCat is just down the road and the atmosphere is pretty top notch. Definitely not snobbish at all, tons of cool people and some fun music too. Plus, Grand Rapids doesn't get abysmally hot in the summer.