1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What would be the weirdest beer you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hypr2013, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Unfortunately for me living in a control area it is hard getting different beers sometime, and it is hard to say for me what the weirdest beer would have been, like brewed with weird ingredients or had a weird taste that was the actual flavor.

I tried one of my dads beers from Niagara Falls Ontario called James Ready, I find some bottles are okay, others seem a bit stronger, but sometimes some bottles are downright skunky. Sad thing is its a common beer in Ontario.

Though Rogue had the Maple Bacon Donut beer in Ontario, but I couldn't find it at any LCBOs when it was out, I really wanted to try it to see if it lived up to its hype.

Willbfun likes this.
  2. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

Dogfish Head Ta Henket was pretty weird. I though that it smelled alot like tuna for some odd reason.

3. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

It lives up to the hype for sure. If by hype you mean best beer brewed as a representation of a maple bacon donut from voodoo donuts. Other than that it lives up to nothing. Other than maybe being the most pink bottle to ever exist.

Cee-Poe likes this.
  4. bud chelada. weirdest and worst.

AndyAvalanche likes this.
  5. I heard of the Bud Chelada... strangely enough my dad wanted to try it... Myself, I am almost afraid to touch it.

6. Weird in a good way would be HoTD Matt. Weird in a bad way would be Jack Alebrije.

7. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

8. I recently had a 961 Pale from Lebanon that tasted like oregano.

Michigan likes this.
  9. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

The Hideout Dubble Bubble Double IPA was a little odd. It tasted like bubble gum, not this bubble gumish off yeast flavor but real bubble gum. The DIPA character still remained, it was mighty tasty.

ROBSTARR likes this.
  10. This from the Bruery tasting room:

"Tai Kon:
    If you've been around the brewery recently, you'd know that we have been working on a Nano Series beer based on one of our favorite non-alcoholic beverages: Thai Iced Tea. We're calling the beer
    Thai Kon and as Thai Iced Tea is traditionally served over ice with condensed milk, we'll be following that tradition in our tasting room. Serving the beer flat, over ice and with condensed milk -- Tai Kon, which will be released this Friday, is certainly one of the most unique beers we've ever created and should be a refreshing treat on a warm afternoon."

It is more "creative" than "weird", The base beer is 8% ABV. I must say I enjoyed it a lot.

Cabbage_pants1 and corby112 like this.
  11. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Where did you get this?! I've searched high and low for 961 and can't find it anywhere

12. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

It's not really a beer, it's a beer cocktail. Bud and Clamato mixed together, a canned version of the Mexican Michelada. I thought it was ok, but its much better to make your own.

13. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

ok, I swear I'd try it, and I'm almost certain I'd love it.

14. tbryan5

tbryan5 Savant (470) Louisiana Sep 22, 2012

Ghost face killah by twisted pine. its brewed with like 5 different peppers.... interesting but one was definitely enough

15. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

Ska Brewing's Molé Stout comes to mind. I love mole and I love stouts, and the beer tastes like mole all right. I just thought it was too weird.
    Also weird in a bad way was Sam Adams Triple Bock. So disgusting it becomes interesting.

16. dglgmut

dglgmut Zealot (95) New Jersey Jul 12, 2012

Evil Genius from B. Nektar. Easily one of the strangest things I have ever tried. Definitely worth a try if you like to live dangerously.

Cbaum11 likes this.
  17. Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut which tastes and smells like an alcoholic clown's breath after taking a few nips from a flask and eating the cake at a 5-year olds birthday party, quickly stumbling out to a nearby alley full of burning tires.

Don't get no weirder than that.

18. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

19. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Fantome Saison was weird but it was amazing.

Cinephile likes this.
  20. DanE

DanE Savant (410) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

Pizza combos to me.

DtheVillain likes this.
  21. Dogfish Immort Ale. Wretched.

andilane and RStang13 like this.
  22. tequiza

i really didn't mind it

digdug1810 likes this.
  23. smoked brew in michigan - thought I was gonna raulf - worst thing i ever tasted in my life!!!!!

24. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

This beer sucks. Somebody got me a six pack cuz they "know I like those weird beers"...

DinoFight likes this.
  25. Somebody has been buying that stuff for what seems to be 20 years! They got me once, and that was it. (Btw- that's technically a serrano in the bottle, for all the difference it makes).

DinoFight likes this.
  26. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Saison Du Buff. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme... all ingredients that I enjoy in a good meal but nothing I want in a beer again.

27. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Dark Horse - Ginger in your pants

Straight up sushi...topped with ginger. Fo' realz

28. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

FT cave creek chili beer: ISO whalez bro

KhakCane likes this.
  29. Willbfun

Willbfun Aficionado (150) New York Sep 28, 2012

Wow, I was wondering before? Since they use Coriander in so many beers are there any that use Sweet Basil or Oregano then remember some Mamma Mia's, Pizza flavored beer. Which I've never had, though I had a sample of that Voodoo Maple bacon deal I kinda liked it for having a sip or two the others didn't and I'm glad it was free and not $12 for a bottle. I like spicy ales with chili peppers added to em. Theobroma by DFH was one of my favorites.

30. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (405) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

Shorts Bloody Beer-awful and Walter Melon by Founders-this is really good

31. Asparagus beer. The local brewery up here Right Brain makes weird ones all the time. Usually they hit! Smoked.pig heads, pies, Lucky Charms, etc. But the asparagus was gross to me.

ROBSTARR likes this.
  32. It's on the shelves at the bottle shop I work for here in Rochester.

33. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

34. Dcv

Dcv Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

Arbor Brewing Company, Chips And Salsa beer

Right Brain, Thai Peanut

35. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

Cabbage_pants1 likes this.
  36. Theobroma was pretty good. Haven't had anything else you mentioned but one of the other guys at the store mentioned having the Mama Mia's and thought it was god aweful!

Willbfun likes this.
  37. Half the DFH brews

andilane and CKYnick01 like this.
  38. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

There's a brewery in my town that makes a barrell aged smoked jalepeno porter. It's amazing.

andilane likes this.
  39. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

Mama Mia pizza beer. I've puked bud light, and I've puked totinos pizza, but never at the same time and then drank it.

SaCkErZ9, mkennedy119 and Willbfun like this.
  40. Westbrook Lichenhainer....smoke beers and sour beers kick ass but not rolled into one. And of course Voodoo Doughnut gets a mention but I could choke that one down. Also strangely enough Before and After. Not sure why though.