1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

what would it take to land darklord?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ldhughes3, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ldhughes3

ldhughes3 Savant (495) Louisiana Jan 4, 2013

hey guys I'm really interested in trying the Darklord. What would it take to trade for one? there is little access to great beer in northwest louisiana, aside from mail order stuff. that said i do have some westy 12 and pliny. any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Really, a few Pliny should do it. Dark Lord is 24,000+ bottles and pretty easy to trade for.
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  3. ldhughes3

thanks for the response, i really hope i can make this happen... cheers!
  4. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I traded for a 2012 dark lord for great locals, so westy and few Pliny should do the trick
  5. Pete27lax

Pete27lax Savant (295) New York Jul 13, 2011

Not to beat a dead horse but with the bottles you mentioned you should land a DL no problem. Put up a post and I bet it'll get done pretty quick.

Cheers!
  6. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Pro tip: Don't trade for DL unless you want diabetes.
    ant880, ewright, evilc and 6 others like this.
  7. Azzy

Yeah DL is really sweet, and I see where people get soy sauce taste from. It's a sweet as beer, might be. Better with age.
  8. ldhughes3

thanks for the advice guys, i tried this trade on the other forum without any luck. do you guys think i should try for something different like darkness, hunapuh, or KBS. i'd really like to try a stout from the top ten
  9. Azzy

I'd put up everything youd offer
  10. If I still had one, it'd take a high five. Maybe open a car door for me? Wouldn't take much seeing that its complete Garbage.
  11. codysjb

codysjb Savant (390) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Seems to be that in terms of trading (from hardest to easiest to get):

1. Hunahpu
    2. Darkness
    3. Dark Lord
    4. KBS

Getting 3 & 4 can be done with nice locals due to broad distro for KBS and Dark Lord. Darkness would be more of a maybe with what your offering but certainly not unattainable if you just wait for the right person. Hunahpu would be tough but you may have better luck in March when it is released.

You mentioned you didn't have a lot of luck with this trade on RB. Lots more U.S. people (who are likely to have the beers you mentioned) on this site than on RB. RB has a ton of international traders and fewer U.S. traders.
  12. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

While you are correct, Dark Lord isn't distro'd at all....let alone broadly.
  13. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I'm not much of a fan either, and if I had an extra bottle, I'd swap it. My last extra went up to Minny for this year's Darkness, since I couldn't go.

As a few others said, KBS should be the easiest get. I tossed in some of my extra bottles as extras. Darkness, in my opinion, is worth the trade. I haven't had the chance to crack open my bottle of Huna yet, but I will in June when I go home!
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Still can't figure out the hate for Dark Lord. I mean it isn't the best beer ever to be sure, but garbage? Eh, guess to each their own.
  15. Does anyone have a break down of cost per bottle of the different variations of DL?
  16. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

$50 for all of 'em.
  17. Thanks, I figured there would be some sort of ladder situation between them.
  18. yes it is, by people trading for it, tasting it and then perpetually retrading it. UNDERGORUND DISTRO.

I traded consecration + supplication + temptation + sanctification for 2 DL and was stoked.

then I drank one of the Dark Lords and my stoke levels were markedly altered.
  19. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

A good trade partner. I extra that shit. And if I make it to DLD this year I will extra my allotment. Seriously though, you can get it with good seasonals or great locals as mentioned above.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  20. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Good thing you recently got a bottle huh ;) I agree though, it's a good beer, not stellar, but gets better with age.
    dachshunddude86 and Hanzo like this.
  21. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Couldn't agree more...
  22. If anyone wants a "good trading partner" in San Diego, let me know. I wouldn't mind getting a DL.
  23. dman5400

dman5400 Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 13, 2011

I agree and don't understand why people hate darklord when its no worse than the sweet boozy mess called bruery.
    pjeagles likes this.
  24. Apparently 10,000 people show up once a year to pay tribute to something completely awful! Weird huh?
    Chaney and dman5400 like this.
  25. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Darklord is a good all around stout with a few added flavors not found in your average shelf stout. Is it worth giving up and arm and leg for right after DL Day when everyone is trying to trade it like it won't be made again...no. Worth a try though if you don't have to dismember yourself for it.
  26. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Dark Lord hate stems from ~6000 Midwestern folk getting together and drinking a delicious stout in April, and then asking for other regions delicious stouts in return.
  27. There are so many good stouts from the Midwest, the Midwest should be embarrassed to represent DL. Here's a list of better stouts from the Midwest:
    1. All of them!
    gpawned, Mista, Franch and 1 other person like this.
  28. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

You're 100% right. Dark Lord is the worst stout produced in the Midwest region.
  29. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

why did you trade all of those beers for it? Couldn't you just go get it at Beeney's, I heard you could make Vanilla DL by adding this, or go big and make bourbon vanilla
  30. If this Old Rasputin that I hold in my glass suddenly turned into Dark Lord I'd be fucking pissed.
    Franch and MrVonzipper like this.
  31. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

We can't all drink west coast stouts all the time. Get over yourself and find something better to do.
  32. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I think you missed the part where he was complimenting midwest stouts, he didn't reference west coast stouts at all.
    franklinn likes this.
  33. Actually, it's the exact opposite ... I personally don't enjoy a load of nasty tasting fluid in my mouth. Sooo by my count you're the one that's gay ... Not that there's anything wrong with that ... You know ... Just sayin! :p
  34. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Dark Lord shouldn't be too hard to trade for, and to be honest I don't feel like it's the WORST stout in the MW... I've traded for two in my life, count em two! Can't remember what I even gave up for them, it's been a couple years. Wasnt a bank breaker.