1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stopped at a store I don't get to often. Walked in and saw 4 four packs of Founders Imperial Stout and 3 Founders Backwoods Bastards four packs sitting on the shelf still. I bought them all and tossed a Bolt Cutter Barleywine in. I had the money to burn and I love these beers and won't see them again until next year, except the Bolt Cutter. I paid $104.42, pretty good deal. I was so happy to purchase these so long after the releases. Should I feel bad about cleaning them out? I don't, but would others have done the same thing?
  2. No not at all especially this far after the release.
    FEUO, fernz18, fredmugs and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nice find. I'm sure you work hard for your $$$. Enjoy the brews!
    Kerrie, YogiBeer, JxExM and 1 other person like this.
  4. The store didn't mind taking your money and people had fair opportunity to buy the beer, so why feel bad?

Feel good dude.
    LMT, Kerrie, YogiBeer and 4 others like this.
  5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

The beers have been on the shelves for a while now and the store did not impose any sort of limit so you were well with in what is reasonable to purchase them.

Personally, I only buy what I would consume. I do not buy extra simply to trade, at that point I will leave limited releases on the shelf for others. If I trade something it comes out of my personal stash. I could easily see myself picking up multiple four packs of the beers you mentioned for personal consumption over the next year.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  6. That's pretty crappy of you. I'll take some of the Backwoods off your hands, you'll feel much less guilty that way.
    YogiBeer and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  7. In New Hampshire these are the finest of their style in the State. So I know I will enjoy these for months and years to come. Tthx for the support:)
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  8. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

This sounds like a humblebrag. Bite me.
    Hockey_Fan, hctap00, Duff27 and 2 others like this.
  9. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

You can buy whatever your allowed to buy I won't judge you, but since you asked if others would have done the same thing, I would have not cleared the store out. Instead of 4 and 3 I would be happier buying 3 and 2. Maybe that person who is new to craft, new to Beeradvocate.com, discovers while perusing this site that he/she may be able to score some Founders brews. You just never know. It's the way i think, I consider it a component of beer advocacy.
  10. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I would have donated them all to charity. Clearly, you hate all people but yourself.
    LMT, danpam1024, SammyJaxxxx and 3 others like this.
  11. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I walked into one of my regular shops that was selling ZD by the bottle with a 1 bottle limit. I passed. A few days went by and I went to another shop that I frequent and was gonna get some brown shugga or something like that and the owner said he got some ZD in. I asked how much he had, he said 2 cases, I said ring it up. 80$ out the door. I like the unexpected finds.
  12. Im okay with you buying them all. Those beers have been out for a while.

FIS and Wake n Bake hit stores on the same day here. Went to my shop and asked for a case of each. (10% off on a case)
    The manager said he would grab the WnB, but all of the FIS he had was on the shelf. They only got a case but I was welcome to it all.
    I took 2 four packs and left 4.
    When I was checking out, he asked why I only took 2, told me to take a third and then told the cashier to give me the employee 20% off on my entire order.
    Sometimes it pays to not be a pig. Beer karma is real.
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  13. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

You could have bought a lot of Black Crown for that.
    Kerrie likes this.
  14. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

... I mean, I can send you some cool barleywines... :)
  15. They shouldn't keep score and everyone should get a trophy? That is why China dominates us. Would others have done it was the? Sorry got excited.
    teal likes this.
  16. What are you talking about?
  17. Often in Elementary schools sports they don't keep score and every single kid gets a trophy. It sounded better with a Imperial Stout and a Backwoods Bastard in me. Those beers need someone who loves and truly appreciates them. That was the third time I went to that store and I always left behind a few 4 packs. My buddy made a road trip to Redstone Liquors in Mass, we each were given one bottle of Backwoods and that was in November. I thought I was only going to get one bottle all year and then I discovered this store 20 minutes from my house, that Founders flows like a river after a severe thunderstorm. I will do the same when it is Double Trouble.
  18. I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Just confused about how "everybody gets a trophy" plays into this.
  19. I don't understand why anyone would feel bad about purchasing beer, if it's on the shelf it's fair game!

Enjoy your beer.
  20. The beer drinkers that go into that store have know idea how special those beers are, because if they did they wouldn't be sitting around four months after the bottle date. So they don't get a trophy this time,because as you get older people don't just hand you something for just participating.
  21. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (790) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

I did the same thing two years ago with 2 four packs of KBS sitting on the shelf weeks after the release. I thought to myself "do I really need them?". Then I decided, better me then someone else. It was a smart move sinc that same store has a list and a 4pk limit now and charges $32 for one.
    SawDog505 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.