1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Whatever to do with the yeast sediment at the bottom of your bottle?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 11, 2013.

?

Do you drink the yeast at the bottom of the bottle or do you dispose of it?

1. Indeed, i love it

90 vote(s)
    72.6%
  2. no way, this distrubs me

32 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. i have yet to be presented with this situation.

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. So i have a few bottles of judgement day which have yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I told a local pub owner this and his ears totally perked up. He told me its delicious and meant to be drunk. Another customer listening in also agreed.
    When i break open one of them this week i guess i will have to check it out. Does anyone else here seem to share that philosophy?

2. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

3. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Hefe yeasts of course I drink with the beer, but yeasts like Chico and many saisons do taste pretty good. Not all taste so good, in fact some are pretty strange tasting.

Leave an inch of beer at bottom of bottle, give a swirl, and down it like a shot. That's how I like it. Quite healthy, lotta B vitamins.

Edit: beaten by seconds by S. A sign maybe we have to trade again?

4. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Sure thing Dave. Waiting for the temperatures to rise a bit for the fear of exploding cans... you know what I want :D

cavedave likes this.
  5. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Depends on the style and personal preference. Occasionally I'll pour the sediment in the remaining 1/4 of my beer and I feel that it offers some balance to especially hop-forward beers. But for the less hoppy styles it doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

I;d love to hear more on people's thoughts regarding the yeast sediment.

6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Leave it in the bottle and when I'm done with my beer, shotgun it!

7. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

If it taste ok/good with the beer I swirl and drink, if not I dump.

DelMontiac likes this.
  8. SStein

SStein Savant (390) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

I have heard/read that it is better to drink the last bit seperately, however I just pour and drink. I haven't had a problem with it and it has been good in all the beers I have had.

9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Indeed I do. Will be making that trip again in Spring for sure.:)

10. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

I swirl and pour into a small taster glass, then sip to see what I have. If I like, I choose whether to shoot in down or pour into the beer.

11. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Add some low gravity wort, grow it up, and make more beer. Duh!

Kuemmelbrau, SFACRKnight and M1A2 like this.
  12. BS-

BS- Aficionado (125) Singapore Sep 1, 2012

I always pour mine into the beer. I like the taste. It's never occurred to me to shoot it straight from the bottle, though. I'll go try it the next time I have a yeasty brew.

13. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Given the number of brewers who bottle condition with a different yeast than they use for fermentation, I only deliberately pour yeast with Hefeweizen. (Don't need the extra B vitamins.)

14. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Generally I drink it, after giving it a swirl and mixing it with the rest of what I've already poured. I only do the super careful pour-then-drink-then-swirl-then-shoot kinda thing if it's a beer that either specifically requests / demands / advertises doing so, or if it has a serious reputation of being better without the dregs.

I will say that the dregs of sour beers and sometimes really bretty beers can be a bit tougher on the ol' stomach. I still do it, and would recommend doing it, too, but a little temporary discomfort might not be a surprise.

15. Make more beer with it! Lots of yeast, like Fantome, Russian River, even SNPA are very lively and can make some awesome brews! I pitched the dregs of Fantome Noel and Anchorage Galaxy into my wort and I have lots of "microbes" growing after a month...cant wait to try it!

16. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I use it as part of a sourdough starter for pizza crust. Beer makes great crust, but I can honestly say the yeast isn't active enough on it's own to bake with. I hate the texture, can't drink it.

MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  17. Curry

Curry Aficionado (190) Montana Apr 10, 2003

Or, you can pour it into the potting soil on your house plants. Some of them thrive on it.

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  18. BS-

BS- Aficionado (125) Singapore Sep 1, 2012

POUR IT INTO SOIL?!?!?!!! BURN IN HELL, SATAN!!!

Seriously, why would you even consider doing that?.. You don't like the taste? Or the idea of little sad yeast babies burning alive in your stomach acids?

devlishdamsel likes this.
  19. Curry

Curry Aficionado (190) Montana Apr 10, 2003

For those who object to the taste/consistency/whatever. I drink it myself.

20. I think the sediment tends to mute the peak flavor of the beer so I never mix it in when pouring. Depending on my mood I may finish the beer then swirl the last ounce in the bottle and drink the yeast like a shot, or swirl the bottle and pour the mixture into the last few ounces of beer in my glass, or drain pour it.

21. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

The only time I dont just pour it into my glass with the rest of the beer is if it is a homebrew that has a ton of extra yeast in it. In that case I usually just leave a half inch or so left in the bottle. I have yet to notice any negative consequences of drinking all the yeast I pour.

22. Thevanpelt

Thevanpelt Zealot (80) Sweden Sep 6, 2012

I totally love the yeast sediment, especially if its a saisonyeast!

23. Mojo

Mojo Savant (385) Alabama Jul 21, 2012

I opened a bottle of Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA the other night and it was so full of yeast that I just poured it down the drain. I don't mind some sediment but this had floaties with about the same consistency as egg drop soup. It may have been an old bottle.

24. How can people not like the yeast sediment? I love it. It's part of the purity of craft beer.

25. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (370) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Here's how you do it!

RobertColianni likes this.
  26. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (440) Florida Oct 19, 2012

The Affligem video is spot on:

When I serve a homebrew I provide a glass and shot-glass. Anyone who knows what they are doing will pour the yeast in the shot glass, then:

a. drink it straight, or b. mix in beer, or c. do not drink it

Either is correct, it's all personal preference.

27. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I drink it, also I drink the dregs outta kegs too, did this with Zombie Dust the other day, good stuff.

28. Sam_E

Sam_E Aficionado (175) Ohio Oct 11, 2012

I usually just pour it in with the rest of my beer and drink it as it settles

29. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

It takes a few days to get ripping again, but I have used the yeast from Orval to make a starter for bread dough. (Plus i drink it.)

RobertColianni likes this.
  30. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I save it in little jars that used to contain artichokes, capers, olives and the like. Periodically i go through it and build sand castles, er yeast castles...

Seriously though lots of people save it and try to make more beer with it.

31. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (310) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

World class brewers do yeast right. The German wheat brews and Belgians and of course the monks, but great American brewers do yeast as well as anyone. Ive always mixed the yeast in the brew as I feel if they wanted it on the side it would have came in a seperate bottle. Not sure there is a wrong way. I usually swirl it and drop it in the same glass. Theres just something about a good yeast strain and the funk it provides. Every brewers yeast is different and i don't quite understand someone who doesn't enjoy it. Yeast is one of the biggest factors in the craft beer world. Whether it be an American style yeast portraying to be Belgian or German or English or just down right American or whether it be true German, Belgian, Belgian trappist, Scottish, or English. It's a major part of the craft beer world and has been for as long as any of us can count backwards to. Enjoy it but most of all appreciate it. Cheers

32. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

Just FYI in your poll you spelled disturbs as distrubs. As the yeast at the bottom of fermentation is called the trub this may have been on purpose. In that case, bravo ma'am.

fmccormi and TongoRad like this.
  33. I usually save it till the end and chase it with a shot of bong water.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  34. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Warning: It will make you fart your brains out.

jrbchef and EddieGold like this.
  35. If god for had intended for beer to be filtered he wouldnt have given us kidneys

36. you can harvest the yeast and use it if you brew at home. i drank a combined case of tart lychee, la folie and la terroir and then took the yeast and made a sour.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  37. I almost always drink the yeast. I like pouring half a bottle into one glass without the yeast and one glass with the yeast.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  38. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (385) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

I usually do drink the yeast remains but it depends on the beer. I've had a few bottles of Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale where the floaties are literally egg yolk sized (and the beer was supurb).

39. searsclone

searsclone Savant (325) Arizona Sep 7, 2006

I always want it in a hefe. In fact, I love the last bit of hef from a keg when it looks like rancid milk! Other wise, I usually save the last bit and put it in a shot glass to taste separate. Or, in the case of a bigger bottle, pour half in the glass and drink without mixing, then the 2nd pour into the same glass gets the mix.

40. Too late for me; so long as I don't also fart out my heart and lungs, I'll be cool.

I'm partial to the separate shot glass type dealie myself. I think the flavor of the yeast usually impacts the beer in unintended ways, but it's nice to have on its own. Sometimes though, when nobody is looking, I'll just swig the remains from the bottle <-----that may not be a rare occurance, either.

devlishdamsel and YogiBeer like this.