1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What're the Raspberry sours/wilds which I should seek out?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mkurylko, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Budinetz

Budinetz Savant (360) Pennsylvania Dec 29, 2010

Yes, Weyerbacher's Riserva is amazing...I concur!
    alysmith4 likes this.
  2. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I personally liked Cerise, but Rubaeus is a LOT better than Cerise.
  3. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

Awesome! Looking forward to getting some! Thanks
  4. I know it is somewhat of a whale, but Southampton Black Raspberry lambic is the best raspberry sour I have had. Rose de Gambrinus, Lou Pepe Framboise are also great.
  5. Got my Riserva last nite $16 very nice. Looking forward to trying this tonite.
    Budinetz, KhakCane and alysmith4 like this.
  6. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

7. JustXBeer likes this.
  8. nopucophop

nopucophop Savant (280) New York Mar 6, 2009

Not as good as some of the other Belgian ones mentioned but decent and much easier to get is Hanssens.
  9. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

Just to name a few
    ~Raspberry~
    Hanssens Experimental Raspberry
    Framboise Boon
    Liefmans Frambozenbier
    Cantillon Lou Pepe
    ~Sour~
    Hanssens Oude Gueze
    Lindemans Cuvee Gueze
    Cantillon Classic Gueuze
  10. I had this on tap at Hopcat during there Wood and Wild festival. It was my least favorite beer there and I could not finish my glass, tasted like a raspberry boonsfarm and had no oak/sour/brett tasting to it whatsoever. Regardless, I bought a bottle of it from the brewery as I wanted to complete my collection of the ABC sour series bottles. I am going to let it sit for a couple years and pray that the leftover brett develops sour tastes over time.
    -hope this helps
    CloudStrife likes this.
  11. phenomenal beer. They just ran out of the '11 Noyaux on their website because my buddy bought them all out :(
  12. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

Oude Beersel Framboise is my "go-to" for a readily available and affordable Framboise, when I get a craving
  13. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

Stupid question I know, but do I want to enjoy Riserva cold or room temp?
    Picked mine up yesterday and I forgot to put it in the fridge.
    (I'm new to the sours game)
  14. I, too, just picked one up.... looking forward to it, as well, although I hope I like it even more than you do given that I paid $24 for it.
  15. Serve it around 50 degrees.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Dammit.
  17. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Oh I wanted to try the one you sent me as well! I want to try all of Cascade's wild ales. :)
    Bitterbill likes this.
  18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Cool. And I'm with you all the way. Cascade and sours are a match like tea and scones.;)
    Ri0 and jbaker67 like this.
  19. Budinetz

Budinetz Savant (360) Pennsylvania Dec 29, 2010

Awesome!! Enjoy it!!! Tasting notes please!!!
  20. JTDay

JTDay Aficionado (125) Georgia Jan 28, 2013

Tried New Glarus Raspberry Tart on tap this past weekend and couldn't believe how good it was. I should also note it was my first time with a raspberry sour. It was like biting into a good organic raspberry: the juicy sweetness hits first, and if you've got a good berry, you bite down into its seeds at the end of the bite and it releases its slightly bitter, volatile raspberry seed oils. It was like that.. Delicious!
  21. SouthHampton Black Raspberry Lambic
  22. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

OP said he's not looking to go Wale hunting. This is definitely that territory.
  23. Oops didnt see the whale part.
    YaKnowBrady likes this.
  24. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (335) New York Aug 23, 2012

captain lawrence barrel select raspberry. being released soon.
    jaIsPoAn likes this.
  25. My favorite is Mikkeller SpontanFramboos a Raspberry Wild Ale. All the sours in that series (we have had the blueberry and strawberry also) are excellent.
    larryi86 likes this.
  26. jrman1386

jrman1386 Aficionado (210) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

Well Read Temptress
  27. Coolship Red.
  28. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (330) New York Dec 3, 2009

I'm a big fan of Goose Island Lolita, though I haven't had many of the other beers mentioned here, so can't really speak for how it stacks up
    libbey likes this.
  29. There's a Spontan-blue? I've had the kriek, framboos, strawberry, and spontanale (no fruit). How was the blueberry?
  30. Forgot to mention, this beer is just full of fruit flavor, can taste both strawberries and raspberries. But if you are looking for a good sour fruit-innoculated beer from Arbor Brewing, I would highly recommend the Flamboyant Red. That is by far the best of the ABC Sour Series
  31. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Savant (405) New York Nov 20, 2008

Ended up cracking it last night, def full of fruit flavor. I'll need to try to find that Red next time I am in MI
  32. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

When?
  33. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (760) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

Came here to say that, I really like it!
  34. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

anything that says framboise i guess lol
  35. Blueberry was our favorite.. If I remember correctly it was called spontan wild blueberry. Had it at Blue Monk in Buffalo.
  36. You could probably trade for a growler of The Bruery Berazzled.
  37. I still have 6-7 bottles of the 2011 Red if you are interested in trade, and know of a store that has a couple bottles of 2010 red. Lemme know, otherwise you shoud definitely scoop up the Flamboyant red and get the Sodibo next time you are out here, it is the most puckering of the series.
  38. songfulchris

songfulchris Disciple (50) Oregon Apr 15, 2013

Framboise white from block 15 and Enchanted from Bridgeport are incredible! I love living in Oregon!