What's a beer you regret not buying when you had the chance?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mrcraft, Jan 29, 2013.

1. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (745) California Dec 15, 2012

Kern River Citra

Not too long ago, I saw a lone bottle sitting in the cooler. Not knowing any better, I thought Kern River was another quality California brewery, so I passed and bought something else that day thinking I could easily find it again later. Fast forward to now, I come to find out not only is Citra on par with PtY and stuff from Alpine, you can only purchase it at the brewery, which is a 4-hour drive for me. Yes, it's not as far or long as others travel to purchase beers, but it was right in my finger tips, literally. I even held the bottle to read the label. All I had to do, is take that bottle to the cashier, pay for it, and enjoy it.

2. Cantillon everything. 5+ years ago it was very regularly available from a large distributor in SoCal.

dbossman, cleeze, ridglens and 6 others like this.
  3. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Walked past a shelf full of Abraxas about a month ago because I had already spent shit tons of money in the past few days on Bourbon County and its variants and figured I would be able to wait til the next week's pay day to grab a bottle. Yadda, yadda, yadda...Im the a-hole

4. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (470) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

Upland Kiwi... Instead I ended up purchasing Early Times whiskey so I could get hammered. Worst decision ever.

ADTaber likes this.
  5. dawatts

dawatts Savant (315) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

Abner instead of Arthur.

UnderJoath likes this.
  6. Oh man, I hate it when that happens. You review ratings and train yourself to recognize great beers when you see them, you come across one that somehow evaded your attention and when you look it up later, you realize you goofed.

I understand how you feel, but I finally stopped regretting the decision to pass on beers. You should too. There are so many terrific beers out there right now, it's just not possible to buy all of them.

7. Last year I passed on Hopslam, still have yet to taste it! I've only been into craft beer for just over a year so I didn't realize the stupidity on my part by passing it up.

8. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

BCBS, should have bought some last weekend. Maybe I'll get some this weekend.

9. Was tight on cash when a local BMC distributor that has random craft treasure cases tucked away had a case of FW DDBA. Looking back, totally would have just bit the bullet

TheMonk41 and fujindemon74 like this.
  10. Yeah, back in 2010 I left 3 bottles of GI BCBVS on the shelf, and like a dope the following year, left 4 King Henry's laying there thinking I'd grab them the next day.

11. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (580) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Definitely the Lou Pepe and Lamvinus that sat on shelves forever up in KY... they are, sadly, long, long gone....

12. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Advocate (660) Illinois Oct 21, 2008

Blushing Monk. I was holding it in my hand, thought about it for a moment and then put it down and walked away. Oh well it's just beer. Plenty of other great beers out there to try.

tut2528, TheJollyHop and UnderJoath like this.
  13. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale. My liquor store had it but I passed it up in favor of the Breakfast Stout. I heard that BS was hard to find, but whoever said that was wrong (at least for MI). The Punkin' Ale was gone the next time I went in and even my local bar was out when I went there specifically to try it. Meanwhile, I'm still seeing the BS on shelves and on tap in many places. Even at big chain grocery stores :/

StoutHunter likes this.
  14. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Leon and Sucaba

15. HumanParaquat

HumanParaquat Savant (430) Indiana Jun 23, 2011

16. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (330) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Bourbon County Rare...

Saw it on the shelf and just couldn't pull the trigger at that price. Now I'll probably never get to try it. Oh well you live and you learn.

Maction and kojevergas like this.
  17. Just saw a bottle of Marron Acidifie on the shelf about 3 weeks back...nothing crazy but wish I would have just snagged it.

18. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (330) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

RStang13 and HumanParaquat like this.
  19. 3 bottles of beatification batch 2,
    This was before I liked sours and I only bought 1

20. I had prior commitments the weekend Mimosa was released. With HF only 90 minutes north of me, that would have been one to try harder for.

I'll say this, when I bought Curmudgeon's Better Half...I bought two and left about 10 on the shelf. It was pricey at like $18 or so, but I really wish I'd bought a couple more. The sad thing about this is that I then bought four Frangelic MB a few months later, at almost the same price, just because I wasn't going to leave that level of awesome beer on the shelf. Turns out I would have been better off buying virtually anything else in the store except FMB, but hey, you only live once.

ChrisMon02 and ChanChan like this.
  21. Good perspective sir!

sleuthdog likes this.
  22. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

Goose Island's Juliet, saw it on the shelf but was already spending quite a bit that day. Still haven't tried it, never again.

23. Firestone 10 in 2006. Hi-Time had cases of the stuff for months, never could get past the sticker shock of an $8.99 bomber ;).

FosterJM likes this.
  24. Partridge in a Pear Tree. Had it in my hand but $12 seemed like too much and didn't really like belgians.

25. Maction

Maction Savant (445) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

+1 on Cantillon. I was buying it 3/4/5 years ago, but I should have bought multiples to cellar.

I also had the opportunity to buy Bourbon County Rare when it was released, but declined due to the price.

26. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Coton and Papier. Also traded a Marron Acidifie away when I first started into craft when I should have kept it for myself.

27. 2010 Lou Pepe Cantillon sitting in the back of our store. One day an employee name dropped it and a customer bought it.

Also FSW Parabola

28. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

This past GABF week a bunch of local stores brought back some Odell's Saboteur onto the shelves. I wanted a bottle but kept grabbing something else instead. By the time I made a firm commitment to go to the store and pick some up, all stores had gone dry.And now I see that Saboteur is on tap at their taproom but I am sick and not drinking. I foresee another miss.

Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to drink the beer a few times prior to these experiences.

29. Radome

Radome Advocate (505) California May 24, 2009

Westvleteren 12. I saw a shelf full of 12s and 8s at Bier Tempel in Brussels on the first day of a business trip to Belgium. I had lots of walking and train riding to do that day, so I resolved to pass it by and come back the night before leaving town. Of course, when I returned, I got there 15 minutes after the store closed and lost my chance! A Westey 12 in hand is worth 100 behind the window of a closed shop!

CraftBeerTastic likes this.
  30. Man, Hi-Time is where I used to spend so much time (and money) buying wine back in the early 2000s, and remember thinking to myself, "Gee, those French-sounding beers (Cantillon? wuzzat?) sitting on the shelf sure have real purty labels...now to buy some Rogue Hazelnut Brown."

Doh.

31. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Saint Lamvinus... Two bottles left at $26 each. Went back two days later after realizing my poor judgement and they were gone...

32. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (615) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Full case of yellow cap and a case of red cap Westy sitting right there on the shelf at the Home Liquors in Verona, NJ 6? years ago.

33. BCBS. I saw it and did not know what it was. Went on BA. Read about it. Went "wow" and went back to get it. Goners.:(

Keep thinking I should go grab a case of Lag Sucks while they are still stacked up at the grocery store.
    Tasty

34. CBS in DC couple of years ago. Didn't know what I was looking at.

More recently, BA Bigfoot at local bottle shop. Had a bunch (all in cooler) and was already picking up a bunch of expensive beers. Figured I'll come back on Friday after work (paid) and get a few. All were gone when I went back.

35. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

PvW DL. Oh, well.

36. 7ate9

7ate9 Savant (265) Virginia Apr 26, 2007

Cantillon back when it was easier to find.
    BCBS Rare.

37. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

Rare, it was $42.99 and i didn't know enough about it to pull the trigger, sad face.

38. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

cherry rye! why oh why did I not buy cherry rye every opportunity I got? I'm obviously flaky sometimes.

39. I have no regrets.

I bought it all.

cavedave, RStang13, Guy-T and 9 others like this.