1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's a beer you regret not buying when you had the chance?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mrcraft, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Based on my review of the 12, I'd say it was around 2005 that we last saw those beers on the shelves. The ones I saw were at the Home Liquors in Hackensack- and I do wish I would've picked up a last bottle of 6 for old times sake (if I had only known...).
  2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Bourbon county 09.
    When it was distro in CA. I shoulda bought cases of that son of a bitch.
    ::kicks rocks::

Cheers!
  3. accordselux

accordselux Savant (290) Minnesota Nov 26, 2007

8 bottles of 2008 Darkness my wife and I didn't buy. It was my first beer release and I wasn't into beer that long to know how much I'd enjoy it, or how hard it would be to find. I also didn't have the money. Arg.
  4. Stone 12th Bitter Chocolate Stout . Bought 1 bottle and by the time I tried it and loved it , was gone .
  5. Going with cantiloons too. I remember seeing fou foune on the shelf and other stuff.
  6. Blue Max in MN used to have roughly 8-10 Cantillons, but they were fairly pricey so I only tried a few of them. Never suspected the pokimon generation would be so hooked on craft and make them scarce.
  7. mmireles

mmireles Aficionado (210) Texas May 18, 2005

Stone Mint Chocolate Stout
  8. Darkness - every time I see it lately, 'cause I know it won't last long
  9. Last year's Parabola and Sucuba.
    Pelican5 likes this.
  10. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Last month: 6L of Susan

Two years ago: at least 20 bottles (of the ~100 sitting there) of OGV '02 at 3F
  11. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

This ^. Walked by it on several visits to a local store before I was a sophisticated BA-er.
  12. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

No regrets. The best part of this craft beer market is that there is something new coming out almost daily.
  13. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Could have gotten a bottle of Bramble and Coffee last year; could have gotten KBS last year if I had cut out early from a pointless meeting; could have gotten another bottle of SNR '10 a month ago
  14. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (755) California Jan 31, 2005

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Really Thickfreakness? Man, that story hurts me!!!! You must be seriously grief stricken.
  15. I still see it all the time at a few bottle shops here in SoCal, let me know if you're still looking for it.
  16. BCBCS. Local shop had a case of it on the floor this year. I hadn't tasted it yet, and I already had a bottle sitting in my fridge...didn't want to spend another $25 on something I hadn't even tasted yet.
    Needless to say, after I drank it and went back for more, it was long gone...
  17. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

not really a regret because at the time, i really wasn't that into them, but man.....sours

cantillon, 3f, and for the price new belgium - i would buy cases in a heartbeat now if i could find erics ale @$7 or le terroir @$9 per bomber
  18. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

NeBCo Imperial Stout Trooper....they had a bunch at my local, and I didn't buy it, cuz i'm an asshole.
  19. megamass

megamass Savant (350) New Jersey Oct 30, 2008

Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break. Iwas staring at it while waiting for my beers at capones didn't know it had such great reviews. Would love to try it kicking myself for not doing my homework
  20. RichD

RichD Advocate (605) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

As of right now, most definitely another BCBCS. I bought one when I could've gotten at least 3. Also BCBS Cherry Rye. I'm dying to try this and I could've gotten this as well... Stupid me.
  21. Shakory

Shakory Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jan 10, 2013

this guy knows whatsup
  22. I have an extra Sucaba. Let me know if you are interested
    YogiBeer likes this.
  23. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

King Henry. :(
  24. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I would like to marry your username, please. FT: Lots.
  25. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (750) Florida Feb 1, 2012

When I was in London they had cantillon coming ot off their ears... I didn't know much about lambics back then. But i passef on blabear and several others
  26. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

First venturing into craft beer I used to scan through the shelves at Fred Meyer, not knowing much of anything about most of it with a 6er of Newcastle in my hand. I saw a strange bottle with a strange label and a little tag hanging off the neck. Picked it up, looked at it, read the little tag and put it back quickly after seeing the $20 price tag. Haven't seen C&C La Folie since :(
  27. My first time in London I found a BCBS Coffee on the shelf. Given hefty price tag and given by backpack was full and wallet empty I thought "I'll get this next time". Two major flows in my reasoning were 1) BCBS Coffee is no shelf beer in London and there has never been a next time and 2) given overall prices over here, that price tag was not really hefty. Bad bad judgement.
  28. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (500) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

This was two full cases. What was I thinking. Posted something on BA and went back three days later and they were all gone. 2005-2006 was about the time I guess.
  29. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

More Russian River when I was out west, more BA IST when I was at NEBCO, more Cantillon when I was in Benelux, more Barrel Select when I was at Captain Lawrence.

I can't think of any beer that I regret not buying any of.
  30. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

31. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (500) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Thanks for the offer, i will order this years batch when released online. Tried both Leon and Sucaba side by side recently and have to say IMHO the Firestone Walker edged out Leon.
  32. More 3 Floyd's & Dogfish Head when it was still readily available in Central Il
  33. I'll live. Thanks for caring though.
  34. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Cantillon
    Partridge in a Pear Tree
    Depth Charge
    King Henry
    Rare
  35. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Every bottle of Uncle Jacobs. Passed over what was probably cases and cases of it once you add it all up. The only beer that is a direct compare to BCBS imo.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  36. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Nothing. There will always be more "whales" in the future. Don't get so hung up on the past guys.
  37. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

For me it's Cantillon Mamouche at Local 44 in Philly. Grant it, it was $41 but I won't be seeing any Cantillon for quite sometime so I should have just bit the bullet and bought it! Damn
  38. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

It usually works that I regret buying too much...

A few I can think of:

1) In the summer of 2010 I took a trip to Chicago with my dad and bro (cheers again for the help thetomG). There was lots of '09 bombers of BCBS all over the place. I bought two, but wish I had picked up more. Chicago is awesome by the way (not just for the beer), and I'd love to go back.

2) I should have bought more De Molen Black Damnation Steam Edition when it was available. I got one for myself and two for trading buddies at the time, but nowadays, everybody I trade with asks for it and I always have to disappoint. :(

3) De Molen H&V Wild Turkey. Luckily a new batch is on the horizon :)

4) I should have bought a Struise XXXX Quadruple when I had the chance a few weeks back. I had no idea it was the base beer for 5².

5) I should have bought cases upon cases of Great Divide Yeti when it was still available in Europe. Since, they've stopped distributing here.

6) My friends introduces me to sours by sharing a 3f Hommage with me. It was delicious and I should have made it my immediate goal to get some more of that stuff to return the favor. Thanks again boys.

Again, I've never really left anything standing that I was even half remotely interested in. Usually I go way too far as opposed to not far enough.

Cheers,
    Jeff