1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's a fair trade for HOTD Matt?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Skunkyluvmuffin, Feb 7, 2014.

1. I've offered CW16, Backyard, Darkness... I plan on going to the KBS release this year and pick a bunch up. I'm hoping to get at least 2 bottles of Matt if possible and I'm just trying to figure out what would I need to get my hands on it.

Thanks
    -Matt

2. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

3. That didn't really help me out too much.

4. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Problem with Matt is it is so damn delicious, and NW traders are infrequent at best. I feel like CW 16 could get it done 2 for 1 (if it's as good/limited as last year), and Prop could pull 2 to 4 depending on the person.

exitmusic00 likes this.
  5. Unfortunately I only have 1 Prop left and I have to drink it with my buddy cause he traded his and split the beers he got with me. Hopefully I can pull a bottle before my birthday in May.

6. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

Point = Matt is not released every year like KBS & Darkness, so those probably won't get it done (but they make great extras!). CW 16 is a maybe, Prop is more likely...but like Smurf said, most NW traders (all 4 of them) have regular trading partners to take care of first, and Matt is a great brew that's tough to trade, partucularly when you don't know when it will be released again.

7. Sounds like I'll have to twiddle my thumbs till I can take a road trip to the next release.... whenever that is. I would think a Backyard Rye and a BCBCS might be able to get 1, I don't know. I knew it was going to be hard to get but not this hard. Oh well plenty of good beer to drink in the meantime.

teamwiggum likes this.
  8. itracy63

itracy63 Savant (360) Alaska Apr 20, 2013

I got a Matt as an extra the other day, so I'm not really much help here. (Although apparently rare, NW traders rule!)

sandman3479 likes this.
  9. hombrepalo

hombrepalo Savant (265) Illinois Mar 27, 2008

I traded BCBVS for Matt, Otto, Cherry Adam, Bourbon Fred and Fred FtW and regular Fred. I was happy.

Smurf2055 likes this.
  10. Most would be; that's a staggering upgrade in terms of quantity, quality, and cost. Well done.

vurt likes this.
  11. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Aficionado (210) Nevada Feb 19, 2011

I have to agree. I've traded twice with PNW guys and both were easy as could be.

12. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I think Proprietors can land a Matt + a little bottle.

For reference, I made a comment in another thread about how I would trade 1 Matt for a 4-pack of BCBS/BCBCS/BCBBW and my inbox exploded. I think 6 BCBCS traded for Proprietors not long ago, so that's where my guess of Matt + comes from.

13. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

This. I don't even think the little + bottle would be necessary for the Prop, but I guess a shelf HOTD wouldn't hurt (Adam, Fred, DC). And yes, one Matt per 4pk of BCBCS and BCBBW is totally fair. Man I wish I found some Coffee...

14. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

I was going to do 4 BCBCS for 2 Matt, but then I tried BCBCS this year and realized it was too dang delicious to give up 4 of them.

Skunkyluvmuffin likes this.
  15. Shoot me your address and I'll get one in the mail. And some other Saint Arnold and Karbach stuff too, if you're interested.

Shilt likes this.
  16. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I would do that all day from the BCBCS end...

If you have the ability to still do that trade, do it now.

17. atoulouk

I don't know if I could or not. We agreed to the deal probably before Christmas. We arranged the deal depending on whether or not I could acquire another 4 pack of BCBCS, I did and messaged him. It was really cold so we decided to wait until it got a little warmer. I kinda took a break from trading, I never got a message back and never pushed the issue myself as I wasn't sure I wanted to give up 4 BCBCS.

18. box_social

box_social Savant (350) Oregon Mar 6, 2013

i did Matt for R&D Gueuze 1:1

19. Shilt

Shilt Savant (430) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Trading 2 four packs of BCBCS and a four pack of BCBBW for 2 Matts and an Otto. I love all the beers in question, but my love for Matt exceeds that of this years BCBCS, and I was lucky enough to land quite a few, though I will be completeltly out after this trade. Maybe i overpaid, maybe I didn't. When you want a beer you gotta come with an offer that is attractive to the person with the beer in question. Hope this helps OP!

Shmeal and OakedCanuck like this.
  20. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Matt has only been released a few times, and it sold out this past time in about an hour. It truly is a great beer and a hard one to part with. As Shilt said, if you really want a bottle, you have to make an attractive offer to one of the 4.32 Portland traders.

21. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (430) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

Which Matt? The 2013 release was a case limit, so I would expect some people to have extra bottles available to trade. I'm surprised a Rye plus a barleywine or two didn't get it done. But 2010 or Bottleworks is a different story.

22. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

The case limit is definitely a mixed bag. Those of us who got it, got a lot. But only ~100 people got any, and it's a favorite of lots of us. The mythology of the non-existent PNW trader I think is not a factor. I'd guess that at least half of the folks turning out for HOTD releases are traders.

Personally, I've traded Matt for lots of things over the years. Upland Lambics, Darkness, Jester King sours, SH IRS, quantity of midwest stouts, etc

OakedCanuck likes this.
  23. Shilt

Shilt Savant (430) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Like Otto, this most recent release of Matt did see limited distro correct? Meaning that more than just Portland traders would have been able to get their hands on if. Not that it makes it that much easier to get, but maybe more so than if it was just brewery only.

24. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

No. Those were mules who stood in line to get bottles FOR a place to re-sell it.

25. googzoid10

googzoid10 Aficionado (120) Oregon Nov 10, 2008

I would do the Matt + something small for a Prop.

26. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (815) New York Dec 13, 2009

spoken like someone who has never tried matt. as delicious as BCBCS can be, matt takes it all day in the flavor game.

27. atoulouk

You're correct, never had it but would definitely be more than willing to try one if you sent it my way. lol. Its definitely on my wish list for beer to get my hands on at some point.

cosmicevan likes this.
  28. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

Yep... I would trade 2 BCBCS for 1x Matt all day EVERY day.. Maybe even 3 for 1.

cosmicevan likes this.
  29. So I could probably get 1 for a Backyard... maybe add on?

30. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

I think it would take more than a Backyard to get a Matt, I would agree with @googzoid10 that a Matt should trade close to 1:1 with a Prop, The person with the Matt might send something like Blue Dot or a few Ruth's but IMHO the Backyard is falling a bit short for a Matt.

31. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I traded a Rare Barrel Empty Growler for one, since the growler is a collectible.

32. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Ma
    As has been said before, many of the people that got cases had a lot of those allocated to regular traders. In my case, I took care of regular traders as well as some people that were shut out when Matt sold out. So, just because people had a case of Matt certainly doesn't mean they had a case available to trade.

cosmicevan likes this.
  33. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (430) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

Of course, that should be assumed for all releases. But the chance of finding someone with a bottle from a release a couple months ago that had a case limit is far (FAR) higher than finding a bottle that was released four years ago with a six-pack limit.

34. Obviously I'd be willing to go over $4$. I understand the rarity.

35. Its not just the rarity, it's the taste and uniqueness. There's tons of barrel aged stouts out there. Only one Matt.

Kurmaraja and mrgabe like this.