1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's a good coffee flavored beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MartinP, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just had LongTrail Coffee Stout the other night for the first time...very tasty, and made with ingredients from the Vermont Coffee Company...part of the Brewmaster Series.
  2. Great Beer, not sure if you can get it in PA.
  3. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

So, the obvious answer is FBS, as many here have pointed out. But if you like light stuff, seek out Dark Horse Perkulator... it's a doppelbock with coffee flavor, and somehow works.
  4. syppr

syppr Aficionado (170) Florida May 19, 2011

No, but I see it is stocked at our local TW. The Oatmeal Porter is good, but I will try your suggestion. I am a fan of Highland, and when SN gets ups and running in Asheville, I may have to move there.
  5. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Grand Teton Wake Up Call Imperial Porter, Wake n Bake, FBS, Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout (off the top of my head)
  6. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

Java Head is pretty damn good
  7. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (345) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

For coffee taste in beers, here are the ones I start with:
    Flounders: Breakfast Stout
    Brooklyn: Chocolate Stout
    Southern Tier: Choklat
    Rogue: Chocolate Stout
    Lagunitas: Cappucinno Stout
  8. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

9. Agreed! Based on you (OP) being located in PA, this has to be one that you pick up.
  10. Victory at Sea is the correct answer
    SeanFitzgerald likes this.
  11. I know Furthermore distributes to some parts of Pennsylvania, and from your description it sounds like you would like their Oscura Coffee Lager.
  12. This is the correct answer.
  13. markmiller

markmiller Savant (265) New York Dec 28, 2010

For a coffee beer, I would think Jahva would be recommended over Choklat from STBC. For the best of both worlds you can also have Mokah, which is (obviously) a combination of the two.
  14. Epic Big Bad Baptist is pretty damn delicious.
  15. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (335) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

Peruvian Morning. It got some good distribution this year, so it's much easier to score this go-round. Thunderstruck is a nice one as well.
  16. For a PA person, easily available, Troegs Javahead is the easy winner out of the things listed.
  17. Tried Kujo yesterday and I too feel it's a worthy recommendation.
  18. Loving this one these days...

[​IMG]
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  19. rbouton

rbouton Aficionado (180) New Jersey Aug 24, 2008

20. MartinP

MartinP Aspirant (25) Feb 25, 2012

Wow, I wasn't aware there were so many coffee flavored beers. Guess I have some work cut out for me now, printing all those names then going to the distributor (who I don't think will have any of these) then going to my bar that has some extraordinary beers. I should be able to find at least a few of these. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
  21. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I find fullers london porter has some nice coffee flavor to it when its pretty fresh.
  22. I'd recommend Wake N Bake from Terrapin, Breakfast Stout from Founders. Both awesome coffee beers.
  23. I gotta say that Big Hugs by Half Acre is the winner for me- just cracked a bottle on Friday and the coffee character blew me away! Since that brew is pretty limited, my next best definitely goes to the aforementioned Schlafly Coffee- especially if less than 1 month old.
  24. Wolavers Alta Gracia Coffee Porter, Southern Tier Jah-va, Meantime Coffee Porter, Berkshire Coffee Porter, Ballast Point Vanilla Coffee Porter, Bridgeport Cafe Negro are a few that I've had and love.
  25. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

Yeah, dont know if you see this in your parts, but this was a solid coffee stout, and great value at $4.49.
  26. There's only one 5-gallon cask of it available each year, but the answer for me is a no-brainer:

Coffee-Infused Imperial Stout Trooper
  27. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

Just tried a Wolavers Alta Gracia porter for the first time last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Coffee flavors really stood as the base beer didn't seem too strong.
  28. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Kona Pipeline Porter is pretty good too.
    TheSixthRing likes this.
  29. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Trade for some Short's Cup-A-Joe. Other than that...+1 to Founders Breakfast Stout.
  30. gobrewins

gobrewins Zealot (80) Massachusetts Aug 27, 2011

I'm a big fan of Coffee Flavored Beers (including the Black & Brew, which you mentioned). Here are some I like, though I'm not fully sure of what some of these have for availability in PA:

Berkshire Brewing Company CoffeeHaus Porter
    Atwater Block Vanilla Java Porter
    Troegs Javahead
    Three Heads Java Sutra Porter

Also not quite coffee, but one along those lines, that you might like:

Rogue Hazelnut Brown
  31. gobrewins

gobrewins Zealot (80) Massachusetts Aug 27, 2011

Oh, also the Dogfish Head WorldWide Stout.
  32. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Terrapin Wake N Bake has the greatest coffee flavor I've had yet. Also some other great coffee brews:
    Founders Breakfast Stout
    Cigar City Cubano Style Espresso
    Surly Coffee Bender
  33. jsanford

jsanford Savant (440) Georgia Feb 20, 2010

Terrapin W-n-B, Bell's Java Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, and Pisgah Valdez all jump out.
  34. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Wolavers Alta Gracia Coffee Porter and Three Heads Java Sutra are 2 that I have enjoyed lately. They should be readily available in your area.
  35. You didn't want to mention Dogfish Head Chicory Stout? C'mon Man!
  36. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (480) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

Central Waters Peruvian Morning.
  37. dagmer

dagmer Aficionado (115) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

I thought i didn't like coffee beers until I had Great Divide's Espresso yet, by far my favorite and a top 10 pick for me.
    Lagunitas Cappuccino stout is also great
  38. Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Real Ale Coffee Porter
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.