1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's a good coffee flavored beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MartinP, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Well, since everyone else is ignoring the OP's request to list beers available year-round in his area, here are my favorites...
    Peche Mortel
    Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel
    Great Divide Espresso Yeti
    AleSmith Speedway Stout
    Founders Breakfast Stout

2. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

FD Kujo was tasty. Terrapin's Depth Charge was expressorific! NG Coffee is not bad. CW Peruvian Breakfast is yummy as well.

3. Swim424

Swim424 Savant (320) Florida Apr 29, 2011

If you can find terrapin wake-n-bake stout. best coffee stout I have had.

4. Other than Breakfast Stout, my favorite that I have regular access to is the Berkshire Brewing Company's Coffeehouse Porter. In addition, I found the Three Heads Java Sutra to be comparable.

5. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

2 others to keep in mind that have just as much coffee like flavors to the great ones already mentioned; Left Hand's Milk Stout and DFH's Chicory Stout...there are quite a few great stouts out there I must say I could fill the fridge with a great many of them.

6. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Thank you Fitzmke for the suggestion of Dogfish Head Indian Brown. I am enjoying one right now for the first time, it's SPECTACULAR!

wendogfish likes this.
  7. Fitzmke

Fitzmke Savant (250) Texas Dec 27, 2011

No prob, glad you like it

8. Ummmm, ok. I don't get much coffee on WWS, just booze.

Slam dunk, for me the best three are FBS, Wake N Bake and Peche Mortel.

9. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

2 of these are not in your area, none are year round, but Central Waters Coffee Stout, BCBCS, Peruvian Morning.

10. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (465) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Joe Coffee Porter by Philadelphia Brewing Co. Highly drinkable coffee beer.

11. Lot of good suggestions above. Just be sure to get them as fresh as you can, check the dates because that coffee flavor fades to the back pretty quickly in most of those beers.

12. Genuine

Genuine Savant (465) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Founders breakfast stout

13. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (415) India Jul 25, 2009

FBS is really a beer flavoured coffee ;)

tsauce2 likes this.
  14. tsauce2

tsauce2 Savant (460) Indiana Oct 12, 2011

I have had a ton of coffee beers; they are my favorite style (even thought oat stout is on my profile as my fav style). One of the best, imho, is Bluegrass Brewing Company's Hiene Bros Coffee Stout. AleSmith Speedway Stout and Bells Java kick it too. Terrapin WnB is a new fav of mine.

Cheers!

15. tsauce2

tsauce2 Savant (460) Indiana Oct 12, 2011

I believe Central Waters is in state distro only.

16. that would be wrong it is currently in 3 states

17. MichaelBMartin

MichaelBMartin Aspirant (30) Feb 26, 2012

I considered making another thread, but could anyone give me recommendations of coffee beer around Chicago or a bit further out? I lament Black n Brew as well. I have liked Bridgeport Cafe Negro, but a local liquor chain tells me it is out of production and I have been waiting for Bridgeport to e-mail me back to confirm or deny for over a week. I have had and was not too big on Hinterland Luna Coffee Stout or Dark Horse Perkulator. Any help?

18. BrewDogRocks

BrewDogRocks Aficionado (140) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Hello. If you mean a coffee beer brewed in Chicago probably the only one I could think of is Goose Island's Bourbon County Coffee Stout. Now if you mean, what kind of coffee beers can I get in Chicago you should be able to get just about everything that's been listed here. Because Founders and Bells are available in Chicago I would recommend Founders Breakfast Stout and Bells Java Stout or even an Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. Good luck.

19. atone315

atone315 Advocate (730) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

Impossible to find: Central Waters 1414
    Hard to find: Hitachino Espresso Stout
    Seasonal: (at the end of it's rotation right now) Founder's Breakfast Stout
    Year Round: Tröegs Java Head Stout
    Good Luck finding w/o donating an organ, or two: Goose Island BCBCS

20. banger1228

banger1228 Zealot (95) California Dec 18, 2010

If available or in season: Ballast Point Victory At Sea.

fujindemon74 and SeanFitzgerald like this.
  21. MichaelBMartin

MichaelBMartin Aspirant (30) Feb 26, 2012

BCBCS is something I have given up on. I do not care what reason GI has for such short supply, but it is ridiculous that it is that hard to find.

I shall look around for those mentioned in this thread. Thanks!

22. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (555) New York Oct 24, 2011

If you can find Flying Dog Kujo is an amazing beer for the price and excellent when it comes to coffee stouts. Also Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Imperial Stout is a coffee lovers dream. Imagine Founders Imperial Stout with Espresso.

23. CW peruvian morning is one of my favorites

24. another great one is great river redband in pint cans@ $6.99 4pk pint cans

25. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I tracked down some Kopi Luwak and there's a good reason you get less coffee off the BGBW... Kopi Luwak has almost no strong coffee aftertaste, no matter how black you brew it. That, plus the fact that we rarely drink a particularly fresh Mik coffee stout, so it might have faded... but still a great, great beer.

I personally feel that FBS is pretty much the gold standard. There are dozens of great coffee stouts, and imperial coffee stouts that I like a lot, but FBS is a perfectly balanced beer. Consumed a little bit warm, it's heavenly. In fact... now I have to go drink one. And yes, I know they're better fresh... but I'm not letting em go to waste. :)

26. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

Just had Iron Fist Velvet Glove last night. Great coffee stout there.

27. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Big Hugs, from Half Acre, too...

28. SeanFitzgerald

SeanFitzgerald Disciple (55) Feb 23, 2012

That could be the best porter I've ever had.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  29. Not sure of its been mentioned and probably doesnt matter to most since its draft only but Sixpoint Gorilla Warfare is fucking bomb. Its one of the best coffee beers Ive had. Others would be BCS Coffee and Big Bad Baptist which is definitely for the more extreme coffee lovers.

30. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Peruvian Morning - I hear it comes to Pennsylvania?

31. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Not sure why WnB doesn't get more love. Granted, it gets love -- but it should be right up there with the best coffee beers in the world. Because, you know, it's one of the best coffee beers in the world. If there's a "What's the best coffee beer?" thread and it has 100 replies, then there should be 100 mentions of Wake N Bake.,

32. I drink almost entirely stouts...good thing I run I guess. I'm constantly trying new one's (about to go pick up two to try tonight) but thus far my favorite has been the BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout. I am in love with this beer.

33. spoonhawk

spoonhawk Savant (355) Iowa Dec 3, 2010

Central Waters Brewhouse Coffee Stout
    Cigar City Cubano-Style Espresso Brown Ale

34. I am a beer geek AND a coffee geek, so for me I really enjoy brews where I can also get my hands on the coffee itself. I really enjoy Terrapin W&B and I appreciated it even more after I was able to brew a cup of W&B coffee. Don't get me wrong...there are plenty of beers that I enjoy that I can't try the coffee...but I appreciate the ones where I can get the coffee a good deal more.

35. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Savant (275) Michigan Sep 11, 2008

My two favorite are Short's Cup a Joe and Founder's Breakfast Stout. Can't wait for this years FBS in about a month.

36. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Well, the best I've ever had was BCBS Coffee. Fucking fantastic.

More realistic ones might include Lagunitas Cappucino Stout and Founders Breakfast Stout as mentioned above. I'll add the Rogue Mocha Porter as well.

37. The best coffee beers ive had have been in this order:
    Terrapin Wake n Bake
    Founders Breakfast Stout
    Cigar City Cubano Espresso
    Surly Coffee Bender
    LoneRider Espresso Jack

38. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Yep. Came here to say both this and Coffee Bender. Both meet the criteria of great coffee flavor while being a little bit on the lighter side of ABV.

39. just not this years batch..

40. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

That I have tried:

Santa Fe's Imperial Java Stout.
    Great Divide's Espresso Yeti Stout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.