1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's a good coffee flavored beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MartinP, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infected.
  2. Lost Abbey Serpent Stout or Expresso Yeti yum yum. Breakfast Stout is always a favorite also.
    Gannon81 likes this.
  3. Lots of good ones mentioned above; I dunno if you're into trading, but if so, try to snag a Schlafly Coffee Stout 6er (only around 8 bucks a six pack, and damn delicious espresso flavors), and (one I didn't see above, unless I missed it) a 4pk of 16oz cans from Great River Brewery, their 'Redband Stout'. It's like creamy, thick, iced coffee. Probably the most coffee-forward beer I've ever had. Schlafly is distributed througout IL/MO and a few other states; Great River brews are almost exclusively in IL and IA I believe.
  4. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

KBS, Peche Mortel, Speedway Stout
  5. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Schlafly's Coffee Stout is excellent. Don't know if you can get it Western PA. A favorite stout of mine with a lot of coffee taste is Stockyard Oatmeal Stout at Trader Joe's.
  6. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I have had one delicious sip of Williamsburg Aleworks Cafe Royale and I was sold. To me, better than FBS. But I don't find it a light beer like OP originally asked all those months ago. Wake n Bake isn't too heavy and so damn good.
    drperry11 likes this.
  7. Absolut

Absolut Savant (395) California Sep 19, 2011

this, and as stated above, the yeti are both very good and easy to find out here in CA
  8. Absolut

go cards!
  9. Depending on where you are in west PA, troegs javahead, southern tier as others have said..almost all big stouts have some coffee. Weyerbacher Old Heathen
  10. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Surley Coffee Bender. Yup.
    Momar42 likes this.
  11. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

12 run inning vs. the Cubs tonight!
    bookerandy likes this.
  12. Absolut

7 doubles in one inning!
    bookerandy likes this.
  13. I'd you get Highland Brewing in your area, pick up a Black Mocha Stout. Best coffee flavor in a beer that doesn't actually use coffee.
  14. to øl mochaccino messiah
    i agree kujo
    didnt look but terrapin wake n bake must be on here
    drink any of the 3 above before you spend your money on one of the mikkeller coffee ones... beer geak breakfast or weasel. theyre good however these are better
  15. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Savant (250) California Nov 25, 2010

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout and Ballast Point's Victory at Sea for the win.
  16. I'm just going to continue to parrot what a bunch of people are saying here, and given what I know we can get in PA:

Founders Breakfast Stout
    Terrapin Wake-n-Bake
    Bells Java Stout
    Troegs Javahead
    Dark Horse Perkulator
    Flying Dog Kujo
    Atwater Vanilla Java Porter (Well, I like it)
    Ballast Point Victory At Sea (which I honestly have not seen here in a year and a half in Pittsburgh but who knows)
    Full Pint Perc E Bust
    Great Divide Espresso Yeti

I wish we got Schlafly's here, I've heard so much about their Coffee Stout
  17. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Founders Breakfast Stout and Mikkeller Kopi IPA
  18. melting

melting Aficionado (205) Florida Jul 24, 2010

Williamsburg Alewerks Cafe Royal is one of the best and Nectar Black Xantus is very good. Along with WnB, CCB Cubano, and Victory at Sea.
    As far as rarities, Penultimate Push and Final Push Marshall Zhukov were off the charts good.
  19. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Terrapin Wake N Bake
    Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti
    Founder's Breakfast Stout
    Founder's Frangelic Mountain Brown

In no particular order.
  20. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

If you're looking for something very balanced, I'd say Kujo all the way. 8.9% and there is no tasting the alcohol in that big boy.

For a big coffee whopper: Black Damnation II Mocha Bomb is still my favorite coffee stout. Definitely a sipper at 12%.

Péché Mortel is also stupidly delicious.
  21. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (345) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

With Stout season approaching, I went back to Founders Breakfast Stout, which I still love. This year it seems to me more coffee, almost esspresso in taste, which I love. Next I tried Flash Point Double Stout. Now that was the opposite of Founders. Flash Point was loaded with rich deep chocolate that was so perfectly balanced.
    So, now I have my coffee Stout (Founders) and my Chocolate stout (Flash Point) But I know the season is still early
  22. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (260) California Apr 27, 2011

coffee bender for sure worth the trade
  23. I have a local, Santa Fe Brewing, Imperial Java Stout at 8%. Delicious
    MightyDog likes this.
  24. Vietnamese Coffee Speedway, Victory at Sea, FBS, Coronado Blue Bridge Coffee Stout, Lagunitas
  25. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Founders Breakfast Stout is my choice for sure
  26. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I'm a big fan of many mentioned in this thread, but since I just picked up a six-pack of Highland's Thunderstruck Coffee Porter I'll echo that one. Really great coffee flavor.
    Deltoro likes this.
  27. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

if your tired of stouts try dark horse perkulator. coffee doppleback.
  28. ceolach

ceolach Zealot (80) Massachusetts Nov 20, 2010

If your in the Boston area or know someone in the area Brash Brewing just released Texas Exile. Fucking Delicious.
  29. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

A couple of other people have mentioned it, but Troegs Java Head might be just what the Dr. ordered as far as what you're looking for. It's not as big of a beer as the ST, Founders, and Terrapin beers that have been mention, and it's also available year round in western PA.
  30. Speedway Stout FTW!
    Founder's Breakfast Stout
  31. Surly - Coffee Bender
    FBS
    Dark Horse Perkulator
    Lift Bridge - Irish Coffee Stout
  32. Greenchileman

Greenchileman Aspirant (45) Georgia Dec 18, 2012

Founders Breakfast Stout is very tasty, however, I like the Santa Fe Brewing Imperial Java Stout even more. The problem is that I now live in Atlanta and for now it's sold in NM and maybe in Southern Co., West Texas, I only get to enjoy it when I go back to ABQ. I do pack a six in my checked luggage when I return to ATL so that helps for a week or so. That all said, I'm going to go look for some of the labels y'all have posted. Have a great evening!
  33. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (850) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Amazing beer. And severely underrated.
  34. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

The Devil Made Me Do It Coffee Imperial Porter
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  35. Ballast Point Victory at Sea
    Momar42 likes this.
  36. Keegan Joe Mama's Milk, please!!
  37. I tend to like the variations of speedway stout that vietnamese was amazing
    Of course like the FBS and Troegs java head
    Nobody seem to mention Black Xantus which is solid brew in itself
    just got that Long Trail brewmaster series cant wait to try
  38. APB

APB Savant (415) Nebraska Dec 15, 2012

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout by Great Divide Brewing Company. The taste has stuck with me for the past 2 years when I first tried on tap at my favorite local bar. Its a strong beer with a heavy espresso flavor.
  39. Ballast Point Victory at Sea & Williamsburg Alewerks Cafe Royale are good options.
    Momar42 likes this.
  40. Black and brew is a good entry level coffee but there are much better options out there.

Berkshire Coffeehouse Porter
    Harpoon's new 100 Barrel Series (Trifungo I think its called)
    Wollavers Coffee Porter
    Founders BS
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.