1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's a good coffee flavored beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MartinP, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Peche Mortel!

CORKSCREWFISH and Hotmetal1 like this.
  2. anglagard1

anglagard1 Savant (255) Wisconsin Nov 17, 2010

I just found New Glarus Coffee Stout back in stores for the first time in two years and it is every bit as good as I remember it. Not too intense on the coffee or alcohol, this is a sessionable beer.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  3. +1 to Kona PL Porter

4. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (415) Florida Jun 17, 2005

+1 to Espresso Yeti. It's a seasonal but for a "coffee" beer it is my favorite. Had one last night and it was fantastic

Hotmetal1 and fujindemon74 like this.
  5. I had founders breakfast for first time today... highly recommend that!! friggin great!!!

6. Troeg's java head is fantastic and very easy to obtain for us pennsylvanian's!!! Founders breakfast stout is better but harder to obtain. Bell's porter and kallamazoo stout are fairly easy to get and nice and roasty and very very tasty. Great lakes edmund fitzgerald porter has some roasty coffee notes as well as some hops to it and i think you'll enjoy that as well. If you find a porter/stout in your local good beer bottle shop and or 6 pack shop try it out as a roasty coffee and chocolate note is often found in the style.

7. Kona pipeline porter coffee and nothing else

8. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Founders breakfast stout if you can find it, but it's not going to be local. Where you are, find Troegs Java Head. That'll do ye.

9. Coffee Bender as stated by others. Surely one of the most coffee forward beers I've ever had. However, I'd add Devil Made Me Do It as having a yummy coffee flavor.

10. TO ├śL Sleepover - IPA with roasted coffee beans added in the secondary; good coffee flavor, not much coffee bitterness.

11. Agree with Founder's Breakfast Stout, which I had for the first time last weekend. Another very good coffee beer, Rising Tide's (Portland Maine) Tempest Coffee Porter. Coffee beans in the mash and cold-steeped coffee added during conditioning. There website states that it's their seven barrel series and is only available on draft, but it is readily available in bombers here in Mass.

12. Highland Thunderstruck Coffee Porter.

Cold black coffee, in a bottle.

13. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Founders Breakfast all day.

Deltoro likes this.
  14. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (620) Florida May 25, 2012

CCB cubano espresso brown ale

15. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

The Bruery, if you are in the area, has a five taster sampler of five coffee's added to the same base beer in five different ways called Portola Rossa. It really exemplifies how different the coffee flavors can be depending on how you add the coffee to the beer. They do cold steep, brew hot etc. And being that each example is the same base beer one can experience the difference.

16. Big Bad Baptist by Epic

imduffman, ShemRahBoo and szmnnl99 like this.
  17. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #44 - El Triunfo Coffee Porter

Cold Coffee in a glass!

BigCheese likes this.
  18. What is the base beer style? Hopefully this is still on when I'm out there in a couple weeks.

19. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

It's a damn shame you don't live in Los Angeles. We have a restaurant/taphouse called Ladyface, and their Picture City Porter is hands down the best "coffee beer" I've had under 7%.

Other than that I would recommend Black Xantus.

20. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I would also have to give a shout out to Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. Tasted like smooth, black sparkling coffee to me. And can't beat $3.99 for a 22oz.

21. Founders breakfast stout is excellent

BB1313 likes this.
  22. Do they still sprinkle coffee grounds on top?

Popp24 likes this.
  23. MC6

MC6 Aficionado (140) Illinois Dec 12, 2008

Schlafly's coffee stout
    Great River Brewery Redband

Both excellent.

24. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Founders Breakfast Stout
    Peche Mortel
    Big Bad Baptist

My top 3

25. I'm gonnna have to go with Troegs Javahead Stout.

26. Troegs Javahead or Bell's Java Stout or a Bell's two Hearted Ale with a Maxwell House chaser!

27. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Haha, was just about to post the same two. Found them both recently and loved each of them a lot.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  28. Three Floyd's HIB and Pizza Port Coffee Monster

29. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (485) California Jul 31, 2010

The New Belgium Lips of Faith Coffee Chocolate Imperial Stout. Actually tastes like coffee. Nice mouthfeel too

30. Midnight Sun Arctic Rhino and Ballast Victory at Sea.

31. jlt6116

jlt6116 Aficionado (180) California Oct 13, 2009

Beachwood Brewing Tovarish
    Troegs Javahead

32. Troegs, Central Waters, FBS, Terrapin

33. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Yes sir. I love that beer. In fact, I love all of their house brewed beers.

34. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

It is a nice red ale. So you get the coffee and it is not over powered by a stout.

35. I agree that the Berkshire Coffeehouse Porter is stupendous. Also out of Massachusetts, a brewing company called High and Mighty makes a damn good Two Headed Beast Stout! It's chocolatey with lots of espresso character and is extremely smooth going down. Only a 4.5% abv so although the flava is huge, you could enjoy a couple of these bombers without hittin the floor too hahd. Also Victory's Storm King Stout leaves a strong coffee impression.

36. Wolaver's Alta Gracia Coffee Porter. Has the strongest coffee flavor I've ever had in a beer.

37. Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #44 - El Triunfo Coffee Porter
    Founders Breakfast Stout
    Berkshire Brewing Deans Beans Coffeehouse Porter

38. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Speedway!!!

39. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

This. Had this last night, unreal coffee aroma and flavor. The effects of the barrel are overshadowed by the coffee, but still make it a great beer. Highly recommend trying this.

Onenote81 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.