Whats a style of beer you just recently got into?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geneseohawk, Mar 21, 2013.

1. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (465) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

For me it would be some "smoked" style beers. Just had my first bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. I tried it with a nice stack of buttermilk pancakes and bacon for supper. I liked it. I also tried a bomber of smoked porter from Stone last night and enjoyed that as well.

ufmj, dar482, alysmith4 and 2 others like this.
  2. Belgian Pale Ale and its American BIPA, BDIPA counterparts. Loved it so much, I decided to homebrew one and bottled it last night!

mellowmark likes this.

3. I used to fairly regularly have a Schlenkerla Maerzen with a nice trio of Schlenkerla Maerzen for supper. I liked it, too.

YogiBeer and Crusader like this.
  4. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'm returning to IPAs after a stout/porter/darker beer obsession during the winter. But specifically, I'm trying DIPAs/IIPAs really for the first time and enjoying them as their own style.

I'm also trying really hard to have an open mind with lagers. So far I haven't had any that I really loved, but I think that's partly me not being as experienced with their specific flavor profiles. So I've been trying a lot of them lately.

ufmj and Eastside151 like this.
  5. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (540) California Apr 18, 2012

I'm still "just getting into" most of the styles! Most recently, I find myself wanting to try more black ales, scotch ales and strong ales.

6. nsheehan

nsheehan Advocate (510) Texas Jul 3, 2011

I've tried a lot of the other styles, so this year I'm branching out to Barley wines (purposefully avoided them til 2013 to learn the other styles better) and what they're (whoever) calling white IPAs. White IPAs seem to to be a Belgian pale mixed with an American pale ale and a little more wheat.

If you like smoked, see if you can find the Stone smoked vanilla bean porter. I probably messed up the name, but it was one of my favorite porters. I'm not much for porters/stouts thought. My hop head friend really liked it too.

7. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

Also still getting into most styles. I moved from basically just Hefe/Dunkelweizen's to lots of Belgian styles. Going to slowly try to expand that to hoppy beers. Soon...soon...

8. Heffeweizen. Had Maissel's Weisse a month ago and have been experimenting since. Very drawn to the bubblegum taste, especially when it's complemented with banana like Maissel's

9. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

Me too! I just bought several loose bottles of dipas. Loving resin... southern tier 2X ipa is almost as good.
    I'm trying to keep an open mind with sours. Not sure if it will work... sour devil was pretty good... going to try love buzz next.

10. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Quads. Originally disliked them, but they are quickly becoming one of my favorite. I try to limit myself to one a day, though, and still haven't had the balls to try Rochefort 10 or Apt 12..am waiting to enjoy those with a friend.

11. I'm really getting into saisons and sours. Looooove that stuff.

Willbfun likes this.
  12. Working on sours right now, and really starting to appreciate single IPAs and stouts.

13. dieBlume

Whaaaaattttt...haven't had Abt 12 or Rochefort 10? Why wait? They're delicious! They're two of the beers that really helped me decide to become more interested in craft brews.

When I first got Abt 12 the cashier was like "Oh, they say this is super similar to that expensive Westleven beer blah blah blah."I was just like..."Dude I have no clue what you're telling me."

Here I am a month later - shortly after I had Abt 12 I tried Rochefort 10, now I'm waiting to (one day) get my hands on Westy.

14. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

Couldn't stand in the past to drink IPAs, been mostly a stout/porter guy. Now I have a fridge full of IPAs, DIPA, etc. Really into Belgian style ales as well.

15. Its all about the sours baby!:D

16. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (465) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

That sounds awesome!

17. lewisti

lewisti Savant (295) Connecticut Nov 7, 2001

helles lagers and helles bocks, nice refreshing change of pace from all the high IBU IPA/DIPA's

18. Barley wine.

Enjoy

19. Yes, smoked ales have been a sleeper hit for me as well. And I'm getting way into sours now, which I can't believe I haven't done sooner!

20. Rohkey

I know right. It's almost some odd psychology effect where I'm like, "These might be the best beers I will ever have, do I really want to drink these now? At my young age, without being fully able to appreciate them?" The other part of me just really wants to have someone over to enjoy them with, and only a couple of my friends like craft beers - and none have drank quads as far as I know.

Edit: Also I might be able to get my hands on a couple Westvleteren 12s when I'm in Belgium next month. I want to do a blind taste test with some people (W12, R10, Apt12), and figure out which one I like the most. If I were to drink one of them before I did this, I could be biased and it could potentially impact my judgment.

21. dieBlume

I'd still say try them. They're delicious and totally worth it. I would also say try them now so you know FOR SURE you like quads before investing in Westy. I don't know the actual price, but it always seems like people drop a pretty penny for it. I'd hate to try the three and realize I don't actually like that style. That's just my .02 cents though.

P.S. - I'm in the Abt 12 > Rochefort 10 camp if anybody wanted to know. Haha.

22. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Champion (820) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

rochefort is insanely good I have a case in my fridge and no to a 12 pack I'm taking about a bonafide case. Such a complex lovely beer easily one of the best beers ive ever had st. bernadus is no slouch either, but I'll pass on it with easy availability of rochefort

damn iPad is hard to type on

dieBlume likes this.
  23. SomethingClever

I'd love to try Westy I wish I'd have known about the style when they released bricks back in Dec for $65-$85 bucks. I saw one website wanted $300 for the brick they had left too rich for my blood

24. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (515) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Belgian, sours, barley wines

MickJ0nes likes this.
  25. Rohkey

Oh I won't be buying them. Some BAs were generous enough to offer me some when I potentially meet up with them. Of course, I'm not expecting anything. If I come back with none I won't be upset, I'll just bribe my undergrad advisor whom I know had a couple in his cellar, haha.

26. Lately I find myself wanting to try anything barrel aged. Style really doesn't matter.

27. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (620) Texas Jun 6, 2010

it's boring, but American pale ales/IPAs/DIPAs

I hadn't been serious about beer since the late 1990s, so I had no knowledge of how hop-crazy we Americans have gotten over the past decade-plus. Surprisingly to myself, I love the hops.

geneseohawk likes this.
  28. SomethingClever

I'd like to find something barrel aged in something other than a bourbon barrel because the bba stuff isn't blowing my skirt up. Someone posted about a beer aged in rum barrels now that might cream my Twinkie

Dogzbone likes this.
  29. Just recently I got a lot more into belgian strong ales.

30. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I love stouts, IPAs, porters and IIPAs, but now I am starting to appreciate Belgians. Still can't get into sours doubt if my pallet will ever let me.

Premo88 and geneseohawk like this.
  31. RobDB

RobDB Advocate (690) New Jersey Aug 31, 2009

Saison/farmhouse ales, barley wines. Also want to try some sours but really don 't know where to start.

32. bayliner weisse

33. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (420) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

IPA's! Seems most of the beers I buy lately (especially growlers) are IPA's. I just love the hoppy burst you get with each quaff. 2ndly I have enjoyed the flavored porters and stouts. Milk, oatmeal, coffee , and chocolate stouts. Vanilla and mocha porters. Quaff on!

34. dieBlume

Well in that case - I'll gladly let them or your adviser ship me some! ;p

35. Homebrew style :) I got a kegerator for my birthday and I can't stop brewing.

Seriously, come over, I need friends.........Wifey no likey beer :-(

ufmj likes this.
  36. dieBlume

Are you SURE she doesn't like beer? Maybe you're just not introducing her to the right styles. That was initially my problem. People were giving me beer styles that I wasn't ready for. They weren't approachable, were too hoppy, or were just too...whatever. I started off only liking hefeweizens (if they didn't have it where I was, I didn't get beer) then tasted a bit here and there until I got where I am now. :)

37. Rohkey

I'm sure he would, he's a pushover.

dieBlume likes this.
  38. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (620) Texas Jun 6, 2010

i'm noticing a Belgian theme, no?

(dubbels very well might become my next full-time favorite)

dieBlume likes this.
  39. I'm down with bourbon barrel aged beers right now. I haven't really found one that I don't like yet although some are clearly above and beyond others. I am fairly new to the style but I have tried a lot recently and haven't gotten sick of it yet. Good ish.

Willbfun likes this.